Thread: How to replace the turn signal switch?

Post How to replace the turn signal switch?

My turn signals have been intermittent for a while now and they finally gave out. I believe it is the turn signal switch since the left one still works every now and then. How difficukt is this to replace. I looked at my service manual very briefly last night but it didnt seem to have that great of instructions. I know I have to pull the wheel off but what else. Where does the plug go to from the switch? Any help is appreciated.

------------------
    1984 CJ7, 4.2L MPI, 4.10 ARB's, 4" Lift, 33" BFG MT's, Warn HS9500i, QA2, CO2 system, Masterpull Plastic Ropes
    Jeep Rater = 324
    Desert CJ7
    1984 CJ7, 4.2L MPI, 4.10 ARB's, Tera Low, 4" Lift, 33" BFG MT's, Warn HS9500i, QA2, CO2 system, Masterpull Plastic Ropes
    Jeep Rater = 334
    Desert CJ7

MY CJ is for SALE
    Go to my website for more info

Registered

We are about to do the same thing. Same problem it sounds like, ours works fine for left turn but the lever won't go into the right turn position. The manuals make it sound pretty complicated, but figured we'd just dive into it like everything else and see whuhappens. Will keep you posted. Appreciate the same if you find anything. We just installed a dropped Pitman arm which threw the steering wheel off center for a day until we adjusted the connecting rod. Don't know if that screwed our turnsignal switch up or not. Was working fine earlier.

There was a link posted here a month or so ago to a site that covered steering column rebuilds. Part of that writeup described how to get to the signal mechanism. I can't recall the link right now...
    anyone else have it?

------------------
    Lynn
    '71 UNIVRSL
    PA Jeeps
    Lynn

Early CJ5 Forums

'05 LJ, Patriot Blue
    3" FT lift, Rancho 9000XLs, 33x10.50 BFG MTs, 15x7 Outlaw IIs, Rubi flares, OME stab, JKS F&R adj trackbars, JKS QDs, custom seat risers, Cassidy's bumpers, sliders & swingout.

Ok Here goes:
    Go to NAPA and buy a steering wheel puller and lock plate remover.
    1: Disconnect battery, It's a pain to hear that horn bowing everyine you hit the horn circuit.
    2: Pull off born button
    3: Remove 3 screws that hold down horn ring
    4: Remove ring and insolator
    5: Remove 3 screws holding down cover and remove cover
    6: loosen big nut to ens of steering shaft
    7: Attach steering wheel puller and remove steering wheel.

Did you buy that lock plate remover from NAPA ? You'll need it next.

8: Attach steering lock plate remover and compress spring pushing against the lock plate untill you can push the little lock ring out of the groove.

Wow there is your turn signal switch finally. Look it over to see if it is somethingeasy to fix first.

If you still want to replace it there are a few screws holding it in place. remove the turnsignal lever and the 4-way button. All the wires are attached and go to a connector under the dash along side the steering column. Pull this connector apart and pull up on the switch to remove it from the column. I had one column where someone ran the ignition switch lever through the wiring harness and I had to pull that out too.

After all this work you might want to replace the ignition lock at this time if your's doesn't need the key to work

What is a key? Is there anything else I need to do to replace the ignition lock from here? What is the 4 position switch? What does the hazard switch hook to?

Thanks for the good directions.

------------------
    1984 CJ7, 4.2L MPI, 4.10 ARB's, 4" Lift, 33" BFG MT's, Warn HS9500i, QA2, CO2 system, Masterpull Plastic Ropes
    Jeep Rater = 324
    Desert CJ7

[This message has been edited by Desert Monkey (edited 09-25-2001).]
    1984 CJ7, 4.2L MPI, 4.10 ARB's, Tera Low, 4" Lift, 33" BFG MT's, Warn HS9500i, QA2, CO2 system, Masterpull Plastic Ropes
    Jeep Rater = 334
    Desert CJ7

MY CJ is for SALE

redheaded stepchild mbalbritton's Avatar

Note about lock plate remover: You don't need it!

Here's what I did, actually got the idea from someone else on this board so as not to take credit for the great idea:

when you get to the lock plate, you'll need a piece of flat metal rectangular about 1" by3". Drill a hole in the center to fit over the steering shaft. place two sockets between the lock plate and the fabbed piece of metal and tighten the nut down on the steering shaft. this will push the lock plate/pull steering column forward the give access to the snap ring. Instead of a piece of metal I was able to use my steering wheel due to it's shape. It's one of the three spoke Grant cheap steering wheels.

There was a picture of the above at the earlier post to get a better idea idea of what I just explained. a picture is worth a thousand words.

Brent

------------------
    '78 CJ5, 304, T-150, AMC 20, Dana 30, Dana20, Glass Body, MSD, Ford Dist. Cap Conversion and an 8 track stereo. Pretty Much Stock

Let's Get Necked and Form a Conga Line!

http://www.members.tripod.com/jeepitup/id19.htm
    "Ya, you can put a chevy engine in a jeep, but it's kinda like taking your sister to the prom. It'll work but it won't put out."

Registered

Thanks John. I have a steering wheel puller. I saw that about the special lock plate compressor tool. Special tools...I hate when they do that! I was gonna try to rig something rather than buy another tool. I have something I made up to change drive flanges on a VW transaxle I think may work. I'll let you know.

Registered

ALRIGHT BRENT, fellow rigger! Sounds like a winner. Where there's a will there's a way.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Desert Monkey:
    What is a key? Is there anything else I need to do to replace the ignition lock from here? What is the 4 position switch? What does the hazard switch hook to?

Thanks for the good directions.

</font>
    I quess my age is showing, the 4-way switch is the hazard switch. It use to be called that cause all 4 turnsignal lights would flash at the same time. It's all part of the turn signal switch, just unscrew the button.

There is a bolt that holds the key lock in place. The lock cylinder is connected to a small 'toothed rack' that pushes on an rod connected to the ignition switch on the column when you turn the lock cylinder.

The first time I plulled the the lock ring off I used the nut and a tie rod fork to compress the spring. This eventually led to breaking off the horn contact but a little glue helped put it back together. Once I found all the parts that is.

------------------
    Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Thanks for the info!! I am going to order the parts today and hopefully do this next weekend.

------------------
    Jeep Rater = 324
    Desert CJ7
    Jeep Rater = 334
    Desert CJ7

MY CJ is for SALE