Thread: P0441 code on ODBII

Default P0441 code on ODBII

A friend hooked his ODBII cable and software up to my '97 TJ and we found a P0441 code being thrown. I've had the Check Engine light come and did the Jeep decoding thing and replaced the solenoid relay on the evap thinking that fixed it. I disconnected the battery to "clear" the code and the light stays off for while, then will come back on. What else could be the likely culprit for this P0441 thingy?

First, you didn't need your friend's reader to read your TJ's DTC (diagnostic trouble) codes. All you need to do is to turn your ignition key on-off-on three times within five seconds and then after leaving the key in the on position, wait 3-5 seconds for the codes to begin showing up in your odometer. If you did it right, you will always at least get the '55' code.

Your older TJ gives out its codes in a two-digit format which can be decoded at http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html with the newer four digit codes at http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/codes/

That 044 decodes to "Insufficient or excessive vapor flow detected during evaporative emission system operation." which is not something I'm real familiar with. Heck maybe it's nothing more than a loose or leaky gas cap.
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Well, right now the Check Engine light is out, so as far I know everything is ok. We just hooked his thing up because he just bought it and wanted to show me how it worked and what all it showed.

I'll check all the hoses. Maybe I have a leak somewhere.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
    Heck maybe it's nothing more than a loose or leaky gas cap.
    Maybe this would be it. The gas cap is always being changed...would this make the light go on and off?

I don't have emissions or inspections so I have never really dealt with them unless it makes the jeep not run.
    00' TJ, 60 rear, 44 front, AW-4, Stak D300 with 4.1, Krawlers, Allieds, locked, caged, dented and cut sheetmetal.....and now NOT driven daily.

well that evap leak could cause allot of problums poor fuel econamy heasatation even a miss could be possable, the best thing to do and what i sugest is takeing it to your local Chrysler dodge dealer and have them hook up a evap leak detection tool that can inject smoke into the evap system and find the leak.

Registered

p0441 is for evap system, possible vent/changover valve. not to sure exactly on evap system for 97's they have gotten more comlex. Check hoses near canister, check fuses. Dealer can smoke test, which helps, but not always performed, they usually just throw parts at it happens at my dealership, depends on Tech!
    01 TJ 4.0, 3.73's, D44 LSD, NV3550, 3" BDS, 33 BFG AT's, custom bumper with XD9000

86 CJ7 Junkyard MPFI 4.0 head swap, 32's frame off
    resto-mod. SOLD
    83 CJ7 350 TBI, SM465, D300 Twin stick, D44 locrifht front, OX in rear, SOA, 38.5 SX. SOLD
    96 ZJ 4.0 np242, 4.10's, 4.5 RE S/F, on 32 BFG KM. SOLD

Rocks are a requirement. Evil5oh's Avatar

95% of the time a P0441 is a bad gas cap. The last place I would take it to is the Chrysler/Jeep garage. They are gonna charge twice what a certified shop that can smoke test will charge. And I speak from experience -- not myself, but a friend that just wouldn't listen.

Your best bet when you get a CEL is to take it to Autozone, have them scan it, and print the codes and descriptions for free. There is always someone on these automotive site that can at least tell you where to start before you let the garage throw parts at it. JMO.
    2 Jeeps, and a Mustang.

Unregistered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
    First, you didn't need your friend's reader to read your TJ's DTC (diagnostic trouble) codes. All you need to do is to turn your ignition key on-off-on three times within five seconds and then after leaving the key in the on position, wait 3-5 seconds for the codes to begin showing up in your odometer. If you did it right, you will always at least get the '55' code.

Your older TJ gives out its codes in a two-digit format which can be decoded at http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html with the newer four digit codes at http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/codes/

That 044 decodes to "Insufficient or excessive vapor flow detected during evaporative emission system operation." which is not something I'm real familiar with. Heck maybe it's nothing more than a loose or leaky gas cap.

that list isnt 100% complete

mine is giving a P0431 code
    something to do with the O2 sensor/catalytic converter
    2006 LJ Rubicon 4.0 NSG370 NV241
    1985 CJ-7 258 I6 T5 D/300 4" procomp susp. 35X12.50s

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, 'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.' Such is the rule of honor.

Member #12110

Quote Originally Posted by Evil5oh View Post
    95% of the time a P0441 is a bad gas cap. The last place I would take it to is the Chrysler/Jeep garage. They are gonna charge twice what a certified shop that can smoke test will charge. And I speak from experience -- not myself, but a friend that just wouldn't listen.

Your best bet when you get a CEL is to take it to Autozone, have them scan it, and print the codes and descriptions for free. There is always someone on these automotive site that can at least tell you where to start before you let the garage throw parts at it. JMO.
    Oh, really? a gas cap won't give a P0455 or P0442 before a P0441, Huh? that's news to me. Be sure you have a good manifold vacuum to your purge solenoid. if so, charcoal canister is plugged/restricted or you have a pinched hose somewhere. In my experience, pato zone is the LAST place to go, get the p-code from them, but don't take the advice.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist' -