Thread: Does Ignition Switch Change Require Key Chip Reprogram?

Default Does Ignition Switch Change Require Key Chip Reprogram?

I am having a starter/starting problem with my '05 GCL 3.7L. When you turn the ignition key to start the starter solenoid engages but the starter does not turn. Repeatedly turning the key on and off eventually gets it started. I have replaced the starter and battery and the problem remains. I am going to replace the ignition switch which is part of the ignition key cylinder assembly. Does anyone know if replacing the ignition switch will require a reprogram of the theft protection chips on my keys?? The ignition switch is a $42 item and is the last thing I am going to replace before biting the bullet and taking the truck to the dealer to get robbed. But I'm not sure if its feasible to replace it myself, primarily because of the anti-theft chips in the keys.

Thanks for your help,

John
    Last edited by jmolli; 07-05-2009 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmolli View Post
    I am having an starter/starting problem with my '05 GCL 3.7L. When you turn the ignition key to start the starter solenoid engages but the starter does not turn. Repeatedly turning the key on and off eventually gets it started. I have replaced the starter and battery and the problem remains. I am going to replace the ignition switch which is part of the ignition key cylinder assembly. Does anyone know if replacing the ignition switch will require a reprogram of the theft protection chips on my keys?? The ignition switch is a $42 item and is the last thing I am going to replace before biting the bullet and taking the truck to the dealer to get robbed. But I'm not sure if its feasible to replace it myself, primarily because of the anti-theft chips in the keys.

Thanks for your help,

John
    Call your local professional locksmith, he may be able to fix the problem with a minimum of expensive side effects.
    -br

Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

Billy,

Thanks for the reply, but the part I am replacing is not the actual key cylinder. It is an electonic component that is part of the ignition key assembly. It is what switches between accy, on and start as you turn the key to the right. I guess it is mechanically linked to the key cylinder in some way, but it is a separate part.

John

Billy,

Thanks for the reply, but the part I am replacing is not the actual key cylinder. It is an electonic component that is part of the ignition key assembly. It is what switches between accy, on and start as you turn the key to the right. I guess it is mechanically linked to the key cylinder in some way, but it is a separate part.

John

I.m almost positive you dont change anything else. the communication is between the PCM and the Key, the switch is dumb.....
    Rob

007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X;
    De-Badged; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut Brace; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1 Visor Mount; Stingray Valve Caps; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63 w/Amsoil filter; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20's w/Parada 255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Green Halos;

Registered

X2 what robpp said...the SKREEM module is what communicates with the key and handles the SentryKey immobilizer stuff. The ignition switch is just the electromechanical component that supplies voltage once the key has been cleared by the SKREEM module. Long story short, you won't need to do anything after you replace the ignition switch.

I am having a starter/starting problem with my '05 GCL 3.7L. When you turn the ignition key to start the starter solenoid engages but the starter does not turn. Repeatedly turning the key on and off eventually gets it started. I have replaced the starter and battery and the problem remains. I am going to replace the ignition switch which is part of the ignition key cylinder assembly. Does anyone know if replacing the ignition switch will require a reprogram of the theft protection chips on my keys?? The ignition switch is a $42 item and is the last thing I am going to replace before biting the bullet and taking the truck to the dealer to get robbed. But I'm not sure if its feasible to replace it myself, primarily because of the anti-theft chips in the keys.

Thanks for your help,

John
    Thanks to robbpp and Nand12. The problem did turn out to be the ignition switch. It was fairly easy to replace and I had no problems using my existing keys. Wish I had thought of checking it before I did the starter (I needed a new battery anyway).

John

yeah the ignition switch is pretty common.

dont hang a ton of keys from it if you can help it.
    Rob

007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X;
    De-Badged; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut Brace; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1 Visor Mount; Stingray Valve Caps; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63 w/Amsoil filter; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20's w/Parada 255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Green Halos;

Default 05 Jeep GC Starting Problem is Baaaaaack

I am again having the same "click with no start/crank" problem on my 2005 GC. About a year ago, it wouldn't crank at all so I replaced the starter with a new OEM starter. Like a few others have mentioned, things were good for about 12 months and 3 days (OEM parts come with a 12 month warranty, how lucky am I). So in July 09, I replaced the starter AGAIN with a new OEM starter (fortunately only $75). No luck this time, it would still click but not crank. Battery seemed fine, but since it was 4 years old, I replaced it anyway. Still wouldn't start, it would click but not crank. Then I replaced the ignition switch ($45 but a pain in the ass to replace) and voila, it started consistently. Unfortunately after two months, primarily when hot, it started to "click but not crank" again. I found that two quick blips of the key to the start position would almost always get it going. Not happy with having to do this, I replaced the last item in the starter/starting circuit, the starter relay ($13) . It is now starting consistently again. But its only been two days. Obviously there is a design flaw in the starter/starting circuit that is causing components in the circuit to fail. The starter motor itself looks awfully small for cranking a big V6, but it has to be small to fit into the area where it is mounted. It is very close to the exhaust manifold and I'm wondering if exposure to high temps is causing problems in the starter motor coils or in the starter solenoid.

Anyway, we love the way the Jeep rides/drives/looks but we have also had transmission problems from month 3 of ownership (bought it new). After 4 trips to the dealer for a bucking/slipping trans and a shouting match with the service manager, they finally dropped the trans and found burnt fluid and a faulty torque converter (exactly what I told them I suspected to be the problem the 1st time I brought it in). If I was getting robbed by having all my recent, out of warranty repairs done at the dealer, I would have sold the truck many moons ago. It has cost me a fair amount of time lately, but not a lot of money and luckily, I have not gotten stranded away from home. BUT JEEP HAS DEFINITELY LOST MY BUSINESS, I WILL NEVER BY ANOTHER JEEP. My next vehicle will be a Ford (owned 5 of them and all were mechanically very reliable) or Toyota.

John

P.S. for those of you wanting to replace the starter, you must get under the truck to do it. I drove the front wheels onto 4" thick patio blocks, dropped the splash shield and with a long 1/2" drive extension was able to loosen the two starter mounting bolts and then crawl under to the front of the starter to remove the wires on the solenoid and ultimately the bolts and starter. Its tight, but you can get the starter out. The ignition switch is a real pain. Without the service manual (I bought the CD) I probably wouldn't have attempted it. Good luck, and don't buy another Jeep!