Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WJ power steering flluid, mopar only?

Registered

Default WJ power steering flluid, mopar only?

I have to go to the dealer to get 4 pints for the NV247 and i noticed my power steering is leaking and i need to fix aswell.

But jeep and wjjeeps.com says i need Mopar P/N 04883077 Hydraulic fluid/power steering fluid (MS5931) (MS5931 IS THE ONLY FLUID THAT CAN BE USED FOR THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM. NO EXCEPTIONS!)

can i use something off the self or only Mopar for the power steering?
    does anyone one know how much is need to flush the entire power steering system?

its a 02 4.7 limited
    Thanks

I've been using reg. power steering fluid in both my '03 & '04. No problems....so far. I didn't know about the mopar fluid. I need to go look. Thanks.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Spec. Edit., 265/75/16, Maxxis Bighorns, OME dual steering stabilizer, JKS discos, HD tie rod & drag link, front tow hooks, Rockyroad rockrails, 4" lift, RE shocks, JKS adj. CAs, skids, Addco front & rear sway bars, Aussie locker in D44A, 10,000 lb. winch & Proto Fab bumper.

The brands in local parts stores and Walmart list the specifications that they meet. Pick one that has the spec number you have.

I'm running synthetic in my 02. I just got a fluid that met mopars requirements. Been fine since 06 (knocking on wood).
    Kevin
    '84 CJ-7 Renegade- 258 GM TBI with spark control and HEI, t-5, d300, d30 w/aussie locker, amc20 w/ trac loc, 33" Swamper SSR's, 2.5" BDS, 1" BL, MORE shackles, Superwinch hubs, Superior shafts, tie-rod flip, Taurus Fan, YJ brake booster, Full cage, A to Z rocker guards, A to Z rear cage, lots of other stuff...
    '05 Tahoe LS 5.3 flex fuel, Z55, Cooper AT3's, K&N fipk, G80 locker, HD Hood, z71 fogs daily, driver/kid hauler
    Sold: 98 TJ, 96 ZJ, 00 WJ, 02 WJ
    My Junkyard TBI writeup: http://www.viciouscustoms.com/TBI/junkyardtbi.asp.htm

I use Mopar P/S fluid only.
    I think the reason is that you V8 guys have hydraulic cooling fans (that are operated off of the power steering pump) and it is important for the fluid to have the right viscosity, additives, etc.

I wouldn't risk my P/S system just to save a little $$$ on the fluid.
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

Quote Originally Posted by georged View Post
    The brands in local parts stores and Walmart list the specifications that they meet. Pick one that has the spec number you have.
    There once was a Valvoline synthetic fluid that said it met MS5931 specs, but I can no longer find it.

I just get the Mopar stuff now.

I am on my third power steering pump in a little over 100k miles for my 2004 Overland.

The first time the dealer replaced the pump (at about 40k miles) they put ATF in the system. I did not notice it until I got all the way home (about 20 miles). I got pretty upset at them and had to show them the TSB that WJs require the MS5931 fluid.

They reluctantly flushed out the ATF and put in the correct stuff. When I got back home, I sucked out and flushed as much as I could too. I was so mad at the dealer at the time, I refused to buy the fluid from them, so I found the Valvoline stuff and used that for flushing and refilling.

At 99,800 miles, I took the Jeep in to get the broken exhaust manifold bolt repaired before my warranty expired. While it was there, they said that my power steering pump was too noisy and they wanted to replace it while the warranty would still cover it.

This time they did use the correct Mopar fluid.

Conclusion: That Valvoline synthetic fluid possibly may not have been so good. Or maybe it was just a slow seller and the stores don't stock it anymore.

Edit; I just went out to the garage and found the bottle of Valvoline Syn Power fluid. It says it is a synthetic blend with conditioners, helps stop squeals and leaks. (that may be the problem) On the back it says "Meets GM part number 1050017 (Spec 99815010), Chrysler Spec 5931, Ford Spec M2C128C. NOT RECCOMENDED FOR HONDA VEHICLES". The Valvoline part number is VV056.
    Last edited by VicPick58; 06-10-2009 at 12:36 PM.
    2004 Overland Traded in at 218k miles on a new 2012 4Runner Trail Edition. 4-21-12

2000 Laredo 4.7 Q-Drive, was still running good when SOLD at 281,340 miles.

Registered

Thanks for the help,

I am going to check if the fluid is in any stores around me tonight.

This morning i noticed what looked like a new stain under the jeep so i looked closer at it and the fluid is leaking more. check out the mess it made in the engine compartment.

Attachment 31041

Attachment 31042

Now i am just trying to figure out if the hoes or the pump is damaged. any ideas on which one could be the problem or what to look for?

anyone seen any writeup on fixing the power steering in a wj?

Thanks
    Last edited by straty1987; 10-23-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by VicPick58 View Post
    There once was a Valvoline synthetic fluid that said it met MS5931 specs, but I can no longer find it.

Edit; I just went out to the garage and found the bottle of Valvoline Syn Power fluid. It says it is a synthetic blend with conditioners, helps stop squeals and leaks. (that may be the problem) On the back it says "Meets GM part number 1050017 (Spec 99815010), Chrysler Spec 5931, Ford Spec M2C128C. NOT RECCOMENDED FOR HONDA VEHICLES". The Valvoline part number is VV056.

i think your talking about this one
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...rtId=prod63282

i could not find it or anything that was Chrysler Spec 5931 in four places, i found a few that said for GM, Chrysler, Ford but no speck # and don't want to take a chance on it so will just get what ever is need to drain the hole system fix it and refill

I topped off with both house brand p/s fluid & Lucas p/s additive with no issues so far.

Redline has made a P/S fluid that meets the Mopar 5931 spec for several years now. Amsoil just brought a P/S fluid, that meets the Mopar 5931 spec, to market several months ago.

The 4.7 needs a special hydraulic P/S fluid. The 4.0 can use any old P/S fluid.

I'm not sure whether you can get the special hydraulic P/S elsewhere other than Mopar (ie dealership)
    2003 WJ 4.0 3" IRO d30/d35 LR

Quote Originally Posted by FischInAJeep
    The level of unsolicited braggardry (new word ; write it down) on these forunms astounds me.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadFury View Post
    The 4.7 needs a special hydraulic P/S fluid. The 4.0 can use any old P/S fluid.

I'm not sure whether you can get the special hydraulic P/S elsewhere other than Mopar (ie dealership)
    yea cant find any in local auto shops, the closes i have found online is Valvoline GM, Ford and Chrysler Power Steering Fluid but can find it for sale anywhere.

Now i am just trying to figure out which part or parts i need to replace.
    It looks like the leaking is coming form Hydraulic Power Steering Hose since i see fresh fluid on it and the mesh wrapped around the hose is covered in the fluid too. but i also see fresh fluid right next to the were the fluid reserve is so don't know if its just the hoes or both need to be replaces.

I don't know if anyone has had this problem before but i see that auto zone has something parts cheaper then mopar but I don't know if the auto zone parts are any good quality wise. I don't might the extra price but are the aftermarket marts anygood?

Hydraulic Power Steering Hose: auto zone for $30 vs mopar $80
    Power Steering Return Hose auto zone for $18 vs mopar $28
    Power Steering Pump Pulley auto zone $15 vs mopar $25

I have to go to the deal anyway for the fluid so just want to know if i should get OEM or aftermarket parts to fix the power steering parts?

Doesn't the 4.7 and the 4.0 use the same pump? You shouldn't be losing power steering fluid so if you are the first thing is to find the leak. I haven't needed to top off my system since owning the vehicle. I have changed the fluid a couple times after the first pump died but other than that it maintains a level.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by NoPaint View Post
    Doesn't the 4.7 and the 4.0 use the same pump? You shouldn't be losing power steering fluid so if you are the first thing is to find the leak. I haven't needed to top off my system since owning the vehicle. I have changed the fluid a couple times after the first pump died but other than that it maintains a level.
    I believe the4.7 and 4.0 have the same pump just with the 4.7 the power steering pump has something do hydraulic cooling fans.

I believe i found the leak coming form the Hydraulic Power Steering Hose. just don't have the fluid to put in there if i swap the hose yet and i don't know if the pump is broken. Tomorrow i am going to clean up all the fluid that is allover the hose, pump, and all the other parts that are greasy from the fluid with engine degrease and break clean and see if i can track were its coming from.

when you changed the fluid how many quarts is it to flush out the system to replace all the PS fluid?

anyone know if the aftermarket parts are any good or should i just stick with mopar for replacement parts?

Quote Originally Posted by straty1987 View Post
    yea cant find any in local auto shops, the closes i have found online is Valvoline GM, Ford and Chrysler Power Steering Fluid but can find it for sale anywhere.

Now i am just trying to figure out which part or parts i need to replace.
    It looks like the leaking is coming form Hydraulic Power Steering Hose since i see fresh fluid on it and the mesh wrapped around the hose is covered in the fluid too. but i also see fresh fluid right next to the were the fluid reserve is so don't know if its just the hoes or both need to be replaces.

I don't know if anyone has had this problem before but i see that auto zone has something parts cheaper then mopar but I don't know if the auto zone parts are any good quality wise. I don't might the extra price but are the aftermarket marts anygood?

Hydraulic Power Steering Hose: auto zone for $30 vs mopar $80
    Power Steering Return Hose auto zone for $18 vs mopar $28
    Power Steering Pump Pulley auto zone $15 vs mopar $25

I have to go to the deal anyway for the fluid so just want to know if i should get OEM or aftermarket parts to fix the power steering parts?
    People who have had to relace powersteering hoses on the 4.7 have discovered that the correct replacement is a dealer only part. The fitting on other parts stores replacements are wrong. It would be a good idea for you to do a search for "power steering hose" on the ZJ/WJ Forum. There are a bunch of threads that could be of help to you.

BTW, the part numbers for 4.0 and 4.7 pumps in my WJ parts catalogs are different. I believe that you can count the pumps being different.
    2001 WJ Limited, 4.7L, Quadra-Drive -- Kenne Bell Supercharger, Stillen Rotors with MM pads (F/R), Addcos (F/R), Kolak 3 inch exhaust with large case MagnaFlow, Rogue Chrome wheels, DRL activated, and Blaupunkt 3.5" dash speakers.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    People who have had to relace powersteering hoses on the 4.7 have discovered that the correct replacement is a dealer only part. The fitting on other parts stores replacements are wrong. It would be a good idea for you to do a search for "power steering hose" on the ZJ/WJ Forum. There are a bunch of threads that could be of help to you.

BTW, the part numbers for 4.0 and 4.7 pumps in my WJ parts catalogs are different. I believe that you can count the pumps being different.
    Thanks for the info, i found a few thread that helped but still looking into 2 things. how to flush the entire PS system and how many quarts i will need to fill it after.

your right on the pumps they are different for the 4.0 and 4.7

Registered

just spoke with the stealership in my area and they all want $9.50 a quart for MS5931 PS fluid.

Is this the normal price or are they really charging me allot for the fluid?

^^^thats about what I paid around here, I just remembered it being 10 bucks and change...
    *2004 WJ "Columbia Edition"
    4.7HO. QT-II. NV247. 245/70/17 General Grabbers 15% tint.
    HIR low beams. Rogue Graphite wheels. Full 3"Magnaflow/Kolak exhaust.
    Rancho SS. 2" BB. BDS 5500 Shocks.
    AstroStart RSS-2514XR

Quote Originally Posted by skubasteve! View Post
    ^^^thats about what I paid around here, I just remembered it being 10 bucks and change...
    Thats pretty good for the hydraulic p/s stuff...I paid $10 and change for the regular p/s fluid
    2003 WJ 4.0 3" IRO d30/d35 LR

Quote Originally Posted by FischInAJeep
    The level of unsolicited braggardry (new word ; write it down) on these forunms astounds me.

Quote Originally Posted by straty1987 View Post
    just spoke with the stealership in my area and they all want $9.50 a quart for MS5931 PS fluid.

Is this the normal price or are they really charging me allot for the fluid?
    That sounds like a pretty normal price for the dealer part dept.
    2004 Overland Traded in at 218k miles on a new 2012 4Runner Trail Edition. 4-21-12

2000 Laredo 4.7 Q-Drive, was still running good when SOLD at 281,340 miles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast