Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installation of Steering Stabilizer - Recommendations

Default Installation of Steering Stabilizer - Recommendations

I have a 2000 WJ 4.0 L. After having Death Wobble I have overhauled a lot in my front suspension, including new tie rods also put in new rotors and brakes. Now I am going to put in a steering stabilizer. I have read many forums on opinions. I currently have one from napa - $41 - sc2962.

I was thinking about taking it back and purchasing a moog, rancho, or monroe from Advance Auto Parts. Thoughts?

Also, this is the first time I have replaced the SS. I read on some forums that they had to drill. Am I going to have to drill to change this?

I used a pittman arm puller on mine and it came right out without drilling beating it to death.
    94 ZJ 5.2, 215,000 miles.

You ask for thoughts, well all I can say is that I tried the Monroe direct fit s/s and either I got a bad one or they are just worthless. My steering flutter was just as bad or maybe even worse than with the worn out factory issue s/s.

I ended up with the OME SD40 from Kevins Off Road, it still works great with over 200k miles since I installed it.

When My 2004 was ready for a new s/s, I went back to the K.O.R website to get another OME but found that the price had increased a lot since the first one. So I ordered the KOR Hard s/s and am very happy with it so far. Although that one only has about 40k miles to date.

Both the OME and the KOR do require the WJ kit that means drilling out one of the mount ends just a little with a 1/2 inch drill bit. But don't worry its real easy, you just enlarge the hole a little bit.
    2004 Overland Traded in at 218k miles on a new 2012 4Runner Trail Edition. 4-21-12

2000 Laredo 4.7 Q-Drive, was still running good when SOLD at 281,340 miles.

It's an easy process but the pain in the ass is to keep the damn mounting bracket from spinning on the tie rod while you try drilling it.
    2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 - 1996 ZJ Laredo 5.2 - 1967 VW Karmann Ghia

I had a procomp SS which lasted about 25K miles. Have since replaced it with a Moog, which turns out is a beefier stabilizer than the procomp.

Some drilling had to be done to fit the procomp. No additional drilling for the Moog.
    2003 WJ 4.0 3" IRO d30/d35 LR

Quote Originally Posted by FischInAJeep
    The level of unsolicited braggardry (new word ; write it down) on these forunms astounds me.

LINK

No drilling required.
    '04 Blue Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition. IRO 5.5" Long Armed. 32" STT M/T's. Carolina Driveline Front DS. Rubicon Express Mono-Tubes. JKS Quick Disco's. 1.25" Spidertrax. Projectors. CAI, Tint, and Alpine/Kicker Audio.

'04 Stone White Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 H.O. Stock. 245/70/17 SilentArmor AT's

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ray View Post
    Finally: Be aware that most of the experts on this forum are 16 years old and their 'built Jeep' is actually their soccer-mommy's factory stock Honda Minivan complete with Baby on Board and Green Peace stickers that they only get to drive to the library after they've cleaned up the last of the lima beans on their plate.

OK - So I am looking at Kevin's click here, which I am a little confused. Would I need to install a new stock track bar as well? Or should I just purchase the stabilizer?

Also, KMHogan recommends a tenneco, which is less expensive and seems to be high quality.

Thoughts?

I have the Hard-KOR on my WJ right now, and it made a huge difference. If all you're doing is installing a new stabilizer, your cost from Kevin is 71 bucks + shipping.
    2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 - 1996 ZJ Laredo 5.2 - 1967 VW Karmann Ghia

Rancho on my WJ I6 4X4 about 3 years ago.
    Sill going strong and a direct fit.
    WJ up to 113,000 miles...so it's got some miles on it .

Personally I like stock ones. Why change something that is engineered for the car and works so well? The aftermarket stuff isn't necessarily an "upgrade".

I don't see how it's not an upgrade ....

So the tires that came with a WJ should be repurchased instead of ones for the same price that perform far better in all conditions?

The price of a IRO HD SS or any other comparable make is probably cheaper than stock AND far better.

To each his own I suppose, but I certainly would not replace stock tires, shocks, brakes with the same brand/models.
    '04 Blue Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition. IRO 5.5" Long Armed. 32" STT M/T's. Carolina Driveline Front DS. Rubicon Express Mono-Tubes. JKS Quick Disco's. 1.25" Spidertrax. Projectors. CAI, Tint, and Alpine/Kicker Audio.

'04 Stone White Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 H.O. Stock. 245/70/17 SilentArmor AT's

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ray View Post
    Finally: Be aware that most of the experts on this forum are 16 years old and their 'built Jeep' is actually their soccer-mommy's factory stock Honda Minivan complete with Baby on Board and Green Peace stickers that they only get to drive to the library after they've cleaned up the last of the lima beans on their plate.

The stock SS is engineered for stock size tires. The stock unit simply can't handle larger size/weight tires.

Any aftermarket unit will work fine. By the way, the "Hard-KOR" is just a rebadge.
    '02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", 231HD w/SYE, 44/9", 35's
    '06 XK: 65th Anniversary Edition SOLD
    '98 XJ: stolen
    '99 XJ: stock

www.endlessmtnfab.com
    Support your local driveline shop.

Alright. Well it looks like I am going to get the "hard-KOR". Maybe I'll post some pics through the process of swapping this out with the old SS.

So I just called and talked to someone at Kevin's and they told me that I need to get the '99-'04 WJs with a stock track bar, which is $109.97. Is this correct?

Yooper you purchased this one. Do you know why they gave me the higher price one?

Thanks.

Registered

I got the moog something or other from advanced auto (their more expensive one)....love it.
    | 2008 WK 5.7 Overland | 245/65/17 Michelin LTX A/T2's | Stillen Rotors | Metal Matrix Pads |

| 2000 WJ 4.7 Limited | 265/70/16 General Grabber AT2's | Custom FIPK with Uni Filter | Addco Rear Sway Bar | Energy Suspension Greasable Bushings | Pro Comp MX6 Shocks | Akebono Calipers | Stillen Rotors | Metal Matrix Front Pads | Thrush Glasspack Muffler | Valentine 1 Radar Detector | Blaupunkt 3.5" Dash Speakers | P.I.E. X-3 Auxilary Input Converter | De-Ambered Headlights | De-Ambered Tail Lights | Silverstar Headlights | 15% Front Tint | 2000 Watt Sony Xplod Amp | Dual 12" Sony Xplods | Ported Enclosure |

Who the fcuk is drilling to install an SS? you must have a super modified rig if you are pushing d60 or 14bolt.

Anywaysss get the ranch; PURE BEEF
    get it girl

just installed the dual KOR SS step up. It is pure beef. One stabilizer is compressing as the other extends and they are pretty stiff as compared to my rancho which was showing its age.

Now just waiting on the harder bushing to install my JKS trackbar.
    Speak softly and carry a big stick.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
    A few Speed parts, fun to ride
    http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
    Wife's ride, pretty stock

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Safety Guy Extraordinaire FirefightinWJ's Avatar

I've got the rancho one sitting in my basement waiting to be installed. Correct me if I'm wrong, by the HD Tenneco SS that IRO offers is the same stabilizer as the rancho, but rebadged.
    -Devin
    04 WJ Laredo I6
    IRO 5.5 Critical Path, 255/55/17 BFG MT KM,
    3.73 44a Swap w/spartan locker, Flowmaster 70, Carsound Cat, Dynomax 2.5 Tailpipe, Rusty's Towhooks, 63mm Throttle Body, KOR Sliders

On a properly set-up suspension, dual steering stabilizers are worthless.

Anyone want to design a bracket for a third steering stabilizer? Would make millions.
    '02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", 231HD w/SYE, 44/9", 35's
    '06 XK: 65th Anniversary Edition SOLD
    '98 XJ: stolen
    '99 XJ: stock

www.endlessmtnfab.com
    Support your local driveline shop.

Quote Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
    On a properly set-up suspension, dual steering stabilizers are worthless.

Anyone want to design a bracket for a third steering stabilizer? Would make millions.
    thank you for your great wisdom. My suspension is fine, my death wobble is fixed, have not had it since I put the longs arms on and took the JKS trackbar soft bushings off. My Trackbar diff bolt hole is slightly enlarged and I am going to weld a washer on it to tighten it up even further. My single SS was wearing, and KOR had a good deal on the dual kit so I got it. I also do a lot of towing and it unloads the front to some extent and it puts it back close to DW so I want to insure that even when towing and approaching max tongue weight that I do not ever have DW again.
    Speak softly and carry a big stick.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

My Build Thread

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
    A few Speed parts, fun to ride
    http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
    Wife's ride, pretty stock

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast