Thread: Best wearing mud tire for street??

Jeep Girl Likes It Dirty safireeyz's Avatar

Default Best wearing mud tire for street??

Leaning towards BFG Mud Ter. But are there any others that will wear good on street?
    :jammin: Ride on!

dunlop mud rovers
    Toy: 01 TJ 4.0L, Auto, Currie HP 9 w/ detroit, 4.56's, 36" TSL radials, RE 3.5 SF, Fenders cut to chit, RE Hack n Tap w/ a Woody

My Dick Cepek Mud Country's wear well, balanced perfectly, are quiet and perform very well on the road and in the mud.
    00TJ Sport; 4" lift on 35's; .

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce40s View Post
    dunlop mud rovers
    laugh....
    :pablo:
    :wb:
    97 TJ 2.5l
    33" BFG AT's,FULLY LOCKED!, Dana 30/Ford 8.8, 4.88 gears, Warn XD9000i winch, Groundpounder Fab bumpers and winch plate, Full Roll Cage, Engine skid plate,Steering box skid, Gas Tank Skid, Banks headers, Turbo muffler, Hilift, 3.5" Rubicon Express Superflex Lift Kit, 1" Body Lift,Bestop Replace-a-Top, 2 150w KC daylighters and 2 hella 500's on the windshield, Cobra 148 gtl CB radio with 102" steel whip, PA attachment and some fire in the wire!

Registered

Dunlop Mud Rovers do not wear well. I had them on my XJ and was not impressed. I also know others who ran them on their full-size trucks and they also wore quickly.

If you are looking for a good wearing/decently quiet M/T tire, look at the BFG's and maybe the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's.

I have Maxxis Bighorns on my Jeep right now. Only have about 9k miles on them, so no real wear report yet. I have heard they are a little softer than most compunds, and wear a little faster.

Bfg.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana4x4 View Post
    Dunlop Mud Rovers do not wear well. I had them on my XJ and was not impressed. I also know others who ran them on their full-size trucks and they also wore quickly.
    Obviously, my response is gonna be that you probably didn't rotate and balance properly. I got 30k out of mine and sold them with half tread remaining. To me, that's a pretty decent mud tire. Maybe vehicle weight has something to do with it as well. I would certainly recommend them especially considering how much they cost.
    Toy: 01 TJ 4.0L, Auto, Currie HP 9 w/ detroit, 4.56's, 36" TSL radials, RE 3.5 SF, Fenders cut to chit, RE Hack n Tap w/ a Woody

Registered

dunlop mud rovers
    Mine are horrible too. I have them on my 91 regular cab Toyota in the 31X10.50 size and they suck. I rotate them every oil change and with 15,000 on them they are already halfway gone. They were on the truck when I bought it but will be going to BFG when these are done.

This comes up alot, search and you will find lots of info.
    00' TJ, 60 rear, 44 front, AW-4, Stak D300 with 4.1, Krawlers, Allieds, locked, caged, dented and cut sheetmetal.....and now NOT driven daily.

It used to be the BFG Mud Terrain KM which was recently replaced by the KM2. The rumor is the KM2 has a slightly softer rubber compound so it won't likely wear quite as well as the KM. Maybe you can find a set of the KMs around somewhere before they run out of stock.
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Unregistered User

no personal experience, but my friends who have run BFG M/Ts and A/Ts have been very happy with them and repurchased them

after reading jerrys post i will have to say my friends used the original BFG M/Ts and KMs, not KM2
    2006 LJ Rubicon 4.0 NSG370 NV241
    1985 CJ-7 258 I6 T5 D/300 4" procomp susp. 35X12.50s

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, 'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.' Such is the rule of honor.

Member #12110

Overthinking Underbuilder

dunlop mud rovers
    from my experience, I would say x 4. I have owned several sets of Dunlop mud rovers, all of which were the 31 x10.50 flavor mounted on Stock Jeep Wheels. I had two sets on my YJ, the first set I got 48k from, the second set, I sold the Jeep with 30k on the set and the buyer put another 20k on them.

My TJ I had a set on, and decided I was going to swampers, I put 10K on the Dunlops, sold them to my Dad and he put them on my mom's Liberty, she rocked them for 40k on her liberty before going to some duellers which she hated and ended up selling the Jeep not long after. I rocked the swampers, TSL Radials, for only about 2k, and then sold them because I started dating a girl that lived 550 miles away and saw her once or twice a month. So I picked up a used set of Dunlops with 10k on them and sold them with 30K to a friend when I went to 35s. He then ran them for another 20k or more until finally letting them go.

For a 31" tire, the dunlops are my choice. I had really good luck out of my 35" MTZs as well.

The ATZs seem to last forever on Superdutys and full size trucks, I bet you could get a million miles out of them on a Jeep.
    '97 Ol' Iron TJ, 4.0 - SM465- KLUNE Goliath/ Dana 20 -Shaved Eaton Rear - HP60 front w/14" ORIs, 40" Maxxis Sticky Trepadors.
    7/8ths Ton TJ Build Thread - aka Ol' Iron TJ
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=497945
    1 Ton Used to be a Rubicon Build - D60/14B, C/Os, w/ 42"s on 20" Trail readys. Lots of Bling.
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=510398

With a little over 14K on my bfgs, 2 are at less than 25% and 2 are at about 50%. Not Happy at all. getting AT's next, probably General Grabber AT2 or Pro Comps again.

I have TrXus MT 33x12.50 radials now and really like them. Very quiet actually quiet thatn the Maxxis Bighorns I had before. I thought the TrXsus would be louder but I am very satisfied. Plus they are sipped if you care about that.
    06 TJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 6 SPD
    Golden Eagle
    4" RC Series II lift
    33x12.50 TrXus MT on 15x8 Steels.
    SYE/Shaft,
    Cobra CB.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeep View Post
    With a little over 14K on my bfgs, 2 are at less than 25% and 2 are at about 50%. Not Happy at all.
    If they're wearing that fast, it's not the tire's problem since BFG tires are very well known to wear like iron, your toe-in is likely way off. Possibly air pressure is off too but my bet is that your front-end alignment (toe-in) is off.
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Registered

My ProComp Muddies have been on my rig for over 9 years now and still have over 50% tread left.....But think I'll have to toss them out eventually as they are now ROCK hard......
    Cheers
    Wooders

1946 Willys truck, 1974 CJ6, 1975 CJ5, 1997 TJ, 1998 XJ & 2000WJ......
    Wooders Garage.
    Sydney Jeep Club.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeep View Post
    With a little over 14K on my bfgs, 2 are at less than 25% and 2 are at about 50%. Not Happy at all. getting AT's next, probably General Grabber AT2 or Pro Comps again.
    So the tires that are at 50% are probably on the front, right? I have had the BFG's on my F 350 for 38000 miles and have about 40-45% tread left. On my Jeep I run Pro Comp M/T's and so far I have put 25000+ on them with some harsh rock rash, chunking etc. and still have about 50-60%+ tread. When I bought the Jeep, it came with a lift that the stealership installed and they did not do a proper alignment on it and the fronts were wearing out every 7000 mi. Got it aligned and now I cant wear them out.
    /l ,[____],
    l-L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)--)_)

Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

Registered

Obviously, my response is gonna be that you probably didn't rotate and balance properly.
    They were rotated and balanced at proper intervals. Don't know about two of my friends.
    We all got them in 31" sizes because discount tire had them for uuber cheap. You get what you pay for.
    Most will agree they do not wear well. Not to mention we all had the treads start chunking.
    I'm glad yours lasted you so long, I wish I had been that lucky.