Thread: NV247 ----> you will never guess.

Default NV247 ----> you will never guess.

I have been getting a knocking,or very loud clicking sound I believe coming from the transfer case (NV247) when in 4lo or when all 4 wheels get full get me unstuck power. Also, I have recently noticed a small but consistent amount of fluid leaking from the very back (rear driveshaft entrance) of my transfer case.

This leads me to believe that my transfer case is on its way out. (I have gotten binding while making tight under power turns too). Should I rebuild my 247 and if so where can I get a rebuild kit? I have read into swapping for a 242 (242hd) but that seems to be confusing as to what else is required. Can I use a 242 from a v6 even though I have a v8? What about drive shafts? If I try the you pull it method what should I be looking for? Can a relative novice do the swap?

I have a 99 v8 w/ quadradrive w/ a just under 4" lift. I would like the easiest method keeping cost in mind. I have no major need for ultimate durability and I do not trail this truck much at all as it turns out. Any suggestions on a transfercase drop kit?

Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions. This forum has always made my day over and over again!
    99wj ltd w/ trans & oil cooler, k&n, 3.5" OME RRO lift, Skyjackers, JKS adj TB, JK 18s w/255 Duelers, KOR Dual SS,Flowmaster, 04 fnt u-joint DS, matching tint, eagle eyes and alittle ICE...NV247 #2

Banned

Are you sure its the TC and not the front diff? It could be the coupler by all means, but a leaking TC is hardly cause for concern. If anything it just confirms that you do infact own a Jeep.

I would dream it to be just the front diff. I was planning on changing the fluid up front to begin with. Would my front diff cause those sounds? It would seem logical to me as most of the noises occur during tight turns or when maximum slippage occurs. I thought only chevy's piss on driveways.....
    99wj ltd w/ trans & oil cooler, k&n, 3.5" OME RRO lift, Skyjackers, JKS adj TB, JK 18s w/255 Duelers, KOR Dual SS,Flowmaster, 04 fnt u-joint DS, matching tint, eagle eyes and alittle ICE...NV247 #2

You could always buy my tcase :-P

2004 WJ - IRO HD Steering Stabilizer - IRO Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit - Addco Rear Sway Bar - 4" IRO Coils - KOR 3/4" Spacers - IRO 4" Extended Bumpstops - IRO Coil Spring Retainers - JKS Bar Pin Eliminators - IRO A-Arm Spacer - IRO Adjustable Control Arms - DT8000s - KOR Shock Mount Kit - Stillen Cross Drilled Rotors - Metal Matrix Pads - D30 Detroit TrueTrac - 4.10s - Carolina Double Double Cardan DS & rear DS - 5% Tint - Debadged - Hunter Brushguard w/ 2 Hella 500s - OEM Cross Rail with 4 Hella 500s - Cragar Soft 8s - 33/11.5/16 MTZs - 242HD swap /w SYE - Rear IRO D44 ultimate kit

Nice...why did you take yours out? You might just have a yourself a buyer. Will your 04 247 be a direct swap into my 99?

I took mine out to swap in a 242. I do believe it will drop right into any WJ with the 4.7.

2004 WJ - IRO HD Steering Stabilizer - IRO Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit - Addco Rear Sway Bar - 4" IRO Coils - KOR 3/4" Spacers - IRO 4" Extended Bumpstops - IRO Coil Spring Retainers - JKS Bar Pin Eliminators - IRO A-Arm Spacer - IRO Adjustable Control Arms - DT8000s - KOR Shock Mount Kit - Stillen Cross Drilled Rotors - Metal Matrix Pads - D30 Detroit TrueTrac - 4.10s - Carolina Double Double Cardan DS & rear DS - 5% Tint - Debadged - Hunter Brushguard w/ 2 Hella 500s - OEM Cross Rail with 4 Hella 500s - Cragar Soft 8s - 33/11.5/16 MTZs - 242HD swap /w SYE - Rear IRO D44 ultimate kit

It might be binding due to
    1. No FM in the front end
    2. Not the right fluid in the TC.
    3. No FM in the rear
    Do those 1st and if its still F'd up you really only are out $30 for the TC fluid. Since you can always use the front and rear fluid changed.

2001 WJ 4.7 with QD. Hybrid lift, Long Arms, 32's & IRO Supersliders
    1982 CJ7 360 V8, 35's, and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by poorboy006 View Post
    I have been getting a knocking,or very loud clicking sound I believe coming from the transfer case (NV247) when in 4lo or when all 4 wheels get full get me unstuck power. Also, I have recently noticed a small but consistent amount of fluid leaking from the very back (rear driveshaft entrance) of my transfer case.

This leads me to believe that my transfer case is on its way out. (I have gotten binding while making tight under power turns too). Should I rebuild my 247 and if so where can I get a rebuild kit? I have read into swapping for a 242 (242hd) but that seems to be confusing as to what else is required. Can I use a 242 from a v6 even though I have a v8? What about drive shafts? If I try the you pull it method what should I be looking for? Can a relative novice do the swap?

I have a 99 v8 w/ quadradrive w/ a just under 4" lift. I would like the easiest method keeping cost in mind. I have no major need for ultimate durability and I do not trail this truck much at all as it turns out. Any suggestions on a transfercase drop kit?

Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions. This forum has always made my day over and over again!
    I had something similar. I changed the fluid to the proper MOPAR fluid for the 247 and the noise went away.
    Outaouais / Ottawa Jeep Club President
    http://www.jeep-club.org

2000 TJ Sport
    2010 WK North Edition

Previous:
    1947 CJ2A
    1989 XJ
    1999 WJ Laredo

There are TSB parts that fix the leak on the early 247's

So I went to a local mom and pops garage to get this looked at and the end result was........$338.83 for one axle seal, labor and get this...$133.99 for less than 3 qts of 75w 140. (guy never said a word about FM either...scary) PM me if you want to know of a rip off of a shop in buffalo.

Anyways. I ended up going to My local Chrysler/Jeep dealership. End result?...I picked up 5 qts of Mopar 75w 140, What the parts guy said would be the magic binding cure fluid for my Transfer case,(2 qts of nv247 Tcase fluid) Friction modifier, 2 d44a bearings and seals and a bring it buy and we will take care of pressing those bearings for you. All for under $300. I am looking forward to tackling this task all tomorrow. I will take pics and give a nice little write up afterwords.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Wish me luck!

Damn. You should go back to mom and pops and tell them they did it wrong. Ask for your money back or have them put the new stuff in at no charge. I have had to do it before and now I dont go back.

2001 WJ 4.7 with QD. Hybrid lift, Long Arms, 32's & IRO Supersliders
    1982 CJ7 360 V8, 35's, and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by poorboy006 View Post
    So I went to a local mom and pops garage to get this looked at and the end result was........$338.83 for one axle seal, labor and get this...$133.99 for less than 3 qts of 75w 140. (guy never said a word about FM either...scary) PM me if you want to know of a rip off of a shop in buffalo.

Anyways. I ended up going to My local Chrysler/Jeep dealership. End result?...I picked up 5 qts of Mopar 75w 140, What the parts guy said would be the magic binding cure fluid for my Transfer case,(2 qts of nv247 Tcase fluid) Friction modifier, 2 d44a bearings and seals and a bring it buy and we will take care of pressing those bearings for you. All for under $300. I am looking forward to tackling this task all tomorrow. I will take pics and give a nice little write up afterwords.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Wish me luck!
    Nice work but $338 for an axle seal is nothing plus a couple buck for fluids and shop supplies. I think that you underestimate that a shop has to turn its lights on and pay bills along with that little thing of MAKING A PROFIT. Now adding $138 for fluid on top is ridiculous no doubt.

Trust me I understand the costs for a business but when the only two guys working have both their feet up watching the daily show, I would think any income is better than nothing. The labor and seal price did not make me look twice, The $134 for 2.5 quarts of Synthetic gear fluid and his attitude when I questioned this is what turned me off.

On another note, I completed my task for the day with 2 new bearings and axle seals along with new fluid, transfer and f & r diffs. I took pics and will try to get a write up posted shortly.