Thread: PSI with 35 inch nitto mudd grapplers?

Registered

Default PSI with 35 inch nitto mudd grapplers?

Just curious what everyone else is running with 35" nitto mudd grapplers or 35's in generals PSI??

35x12.5

I run my 35" MT/Rs at 26 psi though I may run them up to 28 psi in hopes of a little better (1?) mpg if I have a long drive somewhere.
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Registered

Thanks Jerry Im running 30 psi atm for street driving, I am assuming thats what your 26 is correct?

30 psi is excessive for a 35" tire on the street. I'm not sure how you're measuring yours but if the pressure gauge says 26 psi, it's all good to me.
    Getting Savvy...

I ran at 30 psi untill one day i had a tire blow out on the interstate...

Im almost positive that because of all the heat generated in the tire from the interstate driving the psi in the tire got above 33psi (the max for my tire) causing it to blow out..

i now run 26-28psi.

also how are u mesuring it to get 30 psi atm? note that Pabsolute = Pgauge + Patm . Patm would be the atmospheric pressure which is only going to be about 14.7 psi. Pgauge is what you want to find because its a closed system and Patm wont affect the air in the tire.

but i dought your actually measuring the Patm. if your using any kind of gauge, youll be measureing the Pabsolute, because these gauges already include Patm in the measurement
    Last edited by jawbreaker; 04-20-2009 at 08:02 PM.
    97 TJ: 4.5 Rubicon Express Superflex lift, 33" BFG MT w/rock crawler rims, AA SYE, Tom Woods HD shaft, Custom Front & Rear bumper/tire carrier, Some offroad lights, Warn M8000, Superpump2, Onboard air, AEM intake, HP dana 30 w TJ steering knuckels and rotors, and 8.8" w/lockright and 4.10s. and rino-lined to sink. woot!:thumbsup:

ran 30 psi is my 35" TSLs 1200 miles round trip from erie, pa to spartanburg sc two weeks ago. no issues.
    06 TJ
    94 RX7

also just wanted to add my tires were about 7 years old when it blew out. I ran BFG mud terrain, had about 65,000 miles on em with a little less then 1/2 thread left. Impressive for a mud terrain other then the blow out
    97 TJ: 4.5 Rubicon Express Superflex lift, 33" BFG MT w/rock crawler rims, AA SYE, Tom Woods HD shaft, Custom Front & Rear bumper/tire carrier, Some offroad lights, Warn M8000, Superpump2, Onboard air, AEM intake, HP dana 30 w TJ steering knuckels and rotors, and 8.8" w/lockright and 4.10s. and rino-lined to sink. woot!:thumbsup:

Overthinking Underbuilder

28Psi at most, 26 psi typically.. 35" x 12.50 x 15 on a 15x 8" wheel.. Too much PSI and your contact patch becomes way too small, and it wears out the centers of the tires first.

Sold the 35s though... The 38"s I run at 17 to 19 psi
    '97 Ol' Iron TJ, 4.0 - SM465- KLUNE Goliath/ Dana 20 -Shaved Eaton Rear - HP60 front w/14" ORIs, 40" Maxxis Sticky Trepadors.
    7/8ths Ton TJ Build Thread - aka Ol' Iron TJ
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=497945
    1 Ton Used to be a Rubicon Build - D60/14B, C/Os, w/ 42"s on 20" Trail readys. Lots of Bling.
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=510398

Registered

Interesting the tires are rated at 65 PSI...

I thought 30 would be about right and I am using a gauge on the needle to get 30 psi... these are e-rated too..

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Dallas, TX View Post
    Interesting the tires are rated at 65 PSI...
    No, they are not "rated" at 65 psi, the pressure molded onto a tire's sidewall is only the tire's maximum allowable air pressure to be used only when the tire is carrying its maximum allowable load. Tires used on Jeeps are never carrying anywhere near their max possible load.
    Getting Savvy...

Quote Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
    I ran at 30 psi untill one day i had a tire blow out on the interstate...

Im almost positive that because of all the heat generated in the tire from the interstate driving the psi in the tire got above 33psi (the max for my tire) causing it to blow out..

i now run 26-28psi.
    I highly doubt that. One of the worst conditions for a tire is underinflation which causes excessive heat from the increased flex of the sidewalls while driving. Remember the whole Firestone tire debacle? Slight overinflation won't cause a tire to blow.

also how are u mesuring it to get 30 psi atm? note that Pabsolute = Pgauge + Patm . Patm would be the atmospheric pressure which is only going to be about 14.7 psi. Pgauge is what you want to find because its a closed system and Patm wont affect the air in the tire.

but i dought your actually measuring the Patm. if your using any kind of gauge, youll be measureing the Pabsolute, because these gauges already include Patm in the measurement
    What's your point? You just went in a circle.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

PA- 10 minutes from Paragon, 11 hours from Badlands Offroad Park

I ran the Nitto Mud Grapplers last year in 35x12.5x17's on 17x9 beadlocks, put them at 32 psi street and 10psi front/8psi rear offroad, never an issue. The 17" 35's are load range E though, super tough tire. My jeep was heavy in street trim though, about 5000lbs.

Registered

9 years later I am still learning..

ok help me out Jerry, I like the way they ride at 30, should I drop em to 25? Im not that heavy on trim yet, Only bumpers and 6 inch lift long arm from FT..

I would assume dropping them to 25 would cause my sides to wear fsater and cause more heat in the tire which would make them expand..

PA- 10 minutes from Paragon, 11 hours from Badlands Offroad Park

Do the "chalk test" to set them correctly for the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Dallas, TX View Post
    9 years later I am still learning..

ok help me out Jerry, I like the way they ride at 30, should I drop em to 25? Im not that heavy on trim yet, Only bumpers and 6 inch lift long arm from FT..

I would assume dropping them to 25 would cause my sides to wear fsater and cause more heat in the tire which would make them expand..
    You want the pressure set such that the entire tread width makes even contact with the ground. Too high and you'll ride the tread center. Too low and you'll ride the inner and outer tread.
    Last edited by ehirner; 04-20-2009 at 11:47 PM.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Registered

Looks like Im chalk testing this weekend..

Your right ehirner, I would have thought with these tires the PSI would have been more known and tested.. LOL no worries

The chalk test is a good way to go. One more point Franky... generally speaking, the bigger the tire, the less pressure it requires where a Wrangler type tire is concerned. With the factory 29-30" tires, the suggested air pressure is, what, 31 psi for a lightly loaded Jeep? So it wouldn't even make sense that the much larger 35" tire would require 30 psi.
    Getting Savvy...

35" MT/Rs here, and I run them at 28psi on the street.
    '11 JKU...stock for now
    '08 JK X, 6-speed, OEM rear locker and swaybar disconnect.

Registered

Since all jeeps are unique depending on what you've done to them, read here how to figure out EXACTLY what your tire pressure should be...
    VP, in charge of breaking stuff
    MOABJEEPER Magazine

cooper disc. STT 35x12.5x15 26-28psi
    2006 F350 6.0 CC
    1973 chevy p/u 4x4 dump body
    1994 ZJ
    1993 Wrangler Renegade
    Gone but not forgotten
    98 TJ
    85 CJ7 X2
    86 CJ
    82 CJ