Thread: Optima Yellow Top vs. Red Top

Right Wing Extremist TrojanMan06's Avatar

Default Optima Yellow Top vs. Red Top

So my cheapo superstart battery doesnt hold a charge like it use to when my jeep is off and my system is going so here soon Im going to put a new battery in. I will have to say that its held up better than I thought with a 1400 watt amp and the back. I was just going to put in a Interstate Megatron but thinking about the optimas now. Im starting to get back to offroading a lot again and I need a tough battery. I plan on running a winch and adding more lighting to the roof rack I dont have yet. So red or yellow. They both seem similar in description on optimas website.
    93 ZJ 4.0 AW4 Reborn!!-
    310,894 miles-Replaced with 40k engine
    Rebuilt 249 TC-Soon to be 231hd
    4.5" IRO w/ 33x12.50R15 BFG KM2s
    IRO Front Long Arms, IRO Adjustable Rear Arms
    Straight Piped, Durango Steering Box

98 ZJ 4.0
    210,*** miles-Replaced w/ 82k engine
    242 TC
    3.5" w/ 33x12.50R15s
    HP30-4.56 Gears

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

"I dont like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled, or hanged." -Abraham Lincoln 1863

With a winch and that amp you are going to want to go for the yellow.
    Rare 2001 WJ S/A Laredo, loaded, 4.7L
    -Airraid MIT paired with a K&N panel filter
    -Flowmaster 50 catback
    -new set of Destination ATs

A yellow top would suit your needs best.
    Now: 11 WK2 Overland 4x4
    Past: 00WJ

Can you ditch the amp and just listen to the normal radio? I like Costco batteries...they have been treating me real nice ever since Diehards which are also made by Johnson Controls but clearly to a lesser standard have died in all my personal and family vehicles in under 3 years. The Costco is the cheapest and highest rated battery that fits in our Jeeps.

I've got a NAPA battery that has been in mine for 4 years, and has been performing well. It got me through this past winter, successfully cranking my 8 no matter how cold it was (-25F at times).
    Rare 2001 WJ S/A Laredo, loaded, 4.7L
    -Airraid MIT paired with a K&N panel filter
    -Flowmaster 50 catback
    -new set of Destination ATs

Ok ill probably go with yellow top then. Thanks for the other recommendations but I was set on optima or interstate.

NoPaint- lol, no i like a little more base than stock. Now 1400 is just a little more but when I put it in(highschool) it was kick ass. Even though I listen to mostly country and rock and sounds awesome. Its like a concert inside my jeep. I have the bass turned all the way down so I can hear the song. Ill probably go down to a couple 10s or 12s sometime and not so extreme as my 18. It would be nice to have my cargo space back.

both are high cranking batteries... the yellow is more of a deep cell battery which is good for using while the vehicle is not running or other high drain applications like A LOT of lights and SCHTUFF...

I got the red and it treats me fine... i assume the yellow would be best for you. These are maintenance free and i've never heard anything bad about them!
    2002 WJ 4x4 Qudra Trac 2, V8, 2"BB, K&N, 255/70/16BFG All Terrain TA KO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlito Benito View Post
    A yellow top would suit your needs best.
    x2

Also, be aware that Optima will not warranty a red top if they find out it was being used with aux. lights, winches, etc etc - the yellow top is designed for high draining devices such as those
    2003 WJ 4.0 3" IRO d30/d35 LR

Quote Originally Posted by FischInAJeep
    The level of unsolicited braggardry (new word ; write it down) on these forunms astounds me.

Thread is 1 month old but ok.

Johnson Controls FTMFW. Steer clear of Exide.

"A stable of leading battery brands, including DieHard, Duralast, Interstate, ProStart, and Everstart, along with others, all bear Johnson Controls signature." ... Varta, Optima ...
    Last edited by KMHogan224; 05-02-2009 at 12:55 AM.
    '04 Blue Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition. IRO 5.5" Long Armed. 32" STT M/T's. Carolina Driveline Front DS. Rubicon Express Mono-Tubes. JKS Quick Disco's. 1.25" Spidertrax. Projectors. CAI, Tint, and Alpine/Kicker Audio.

'04 Stone White Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 H.O. Stock. 245/70/17 SilentArmor AT's

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ray View Post
    Finally: Be aware that most of the experts on this forum are 16 years old and their 'built Jeep' is actually their soccer-mommy's factory stock Honda Minivan complete with Baby on Board and Green Peace stickers that they only get to drive to the library after they've cleaned up the last of the lima beans on their plate.

Optimas are made in Mexico now...I would go with a Costco battery more and more...nobody will replace the battery for free for as long as them...Interstates are EXPENSIVE....the Costco membership plus the cost of the battery is as much as the Interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPaint View Post
    Optimas are made in Mexico now...I would go with a Costco battery more and more...nobody will replace the battery for free for as long as them...Interstates are EXPENSIVE....the Costco membership plus the cost of the battery is as much as the Interstate.
    Mexico? Thats unfortunate but it is under interstate. We sell interstate batteries so I can get them and optima batteries for a bit cheaper. Our price for an interstate is usually the same price you would pay for an orielly or walmart battery. Nothing against those. I have a superstart that ive been very happy with.
    93 ZJ 4.0 AW4 Reborn!!-

98 ZJ 4.0
    242 TC
    3.5" w/ 33x12.50R15s
    HP30-4.56 Gears

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled, or hanged." -Abraham Lincoln 1863

No I think Interstate is made in USA. The OPTIMA brand has been moved. The only reason I know of this is because I was reading about the layoff at the OPTIMA plant to move it to Mexico where 250 or so workers in the US recently lost their jobs. I only buy made in the USA parts even if they cost more....you should too. Sometimes you can't because they simply aren't available. Other times the difference in price is worth the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPaint View Post
    No I think Interstate is made in USA. The OPTIMA brand has been moved. The only reason I know of this is because I was reading about the layoff at the OPTIMA plant to move it to Mexico where 250 or so workers in the US recently lost their jobs. I only buy made in the USA parts even if they cost more....you should too. Sometimes you can't because they simply aren't available. Other times the difference in price is worth the quality.
    Im really happy to hear you only buy American when possible. Im the same. Im slowy swapping out things I own for American made things. My clothes hangers, my wallet, my socks, etc. The part where I differ is I will buy a product from an American company from mexico over a product made here from a foreign company. Nothing against foreign companies but I just want the money to stay here. These companies ship jobs to mexico not to make themselves more money but to stay in business. They cant survive with the taxes they face. 99% of the time though I am able to buy an American made product from an American company so almost always works out.
    93 ZJ 4.0 AW4 Reborn!!-

98 ZJ 4.0
    242 TC
    3.5" w/ 33x12.50R15s
    HP30-4.56 Gears

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan06 View Post
    Im slowy swapping out things I own for American made things. My clothes hangers, my wallet, my socks, etc.
    :laughabove:

WGAF ...
    '04 Blue Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition. IRO 5.5" Long Armed. 32" STT M/T's. Carolina Driveline Front DS. Rubicon Express Mono-Tubes. JKS Quick Disco's. 1.25" Spidertrax. Projectors. CAI, Tint, and Alpine/Kicker Audio.

'04 Stone White Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 H.O. Stock. 245/70/17 SilentArmor AT's

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ray View Post
    Finally: Be aware that most of the experts on this forum are 16 years old and their 'built Jeep' is actually their soccer-mommy's factory stock Honda Minivan complete with Baby on Board and Green Peace stickers that they only get to drive to the library after they've cleaned up the last of the lima beans on their plate.

Me

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan06 View Post
    Im really happy to hear you only buy American when possible. Im the same. Im slowy swapping out things I own for American made things. My clothes hangers, my wallet, my socks, etc. The part where I differ is I will buy a product from an American company from mexico over a product made here from a foreign company. Nothing against foreign companies but I just want the money to stay here. These companies ship jobs to mexico not to make themselves more money but to stay in business. They cant survive with the taxes they face. 99% of the time though I am able to buy an American made product from an American company so almost always works out.
    Well if the company is American it still pays American taxes, I think you mean they want to make more money. Try and just buy stuff that says MADE IN USA on it and don't make an exception for stuff made elsewhere. Technically it matters where the workers are more than where the company is located (because raw materials and labor boost economy) but lets stop all business/political/offtopic talk right here. I too buy as much stuff made here as possible. Always have.

Moving along. Go to Costco for the best value and strongest battery.

I had very bad luck with optimas, both red and yellow. I went through several of each. If truely want a tough and powerful battery, there is only one choice, the Odessey. Summit racing used to sell them. Military spec, availible in a steel case. I used one with a winch for 5 years, I ran three in my Unimog with a 5.7L diesel. Cranked it over easily in -40F temps. They are dry cell so no spilling but a much better design than the Optima.
    Last edited by WhiteWJ; 05-03-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Banned

I have a yellow top in the WJ, it works great, especially if you have extra lights or winches. Infact I originally bought it for my ZJ, sold ZJ, kept the battery, its not about 4 years old and doing fine, my oldest redtop is alittle over 7 years old, its probably not as great as day one but it still works just fine.