Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, V8. Intermittent starting problems.

Default HELP!!! 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, V8. Intermittent starting problems.

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.7 L V8 and have been having starting problems intermittently over the past 12 months. When turning key the gauges and lights come on, but the engine does not turn over. No clicking noise etc. Normally I let the car sit for 30 -45 minutes or sometime it take hours until it cranks again. For last month I drove Jeep every day to work and it was starting just fine with no problem anywhere and anytime. Today I drove it to work and after Jeep was sitting 2 hours I could not crank it again. I let it sit 30 minutes, one hour, 2 Hours and nothing.I did not bother to tow it to dealership cause I knew that in time they look at it it would crank again and them telling me that they cannot duplicate the problem as they did before. So I came back to my Jeep and started it later this evening. First step I'm planning is to replace the starter ,but I'm also suspecting that its got something to do with immobilizer (Sentry system) or ignition switch.
    Did anyone had this problem ?

Battery was changed after problems started and did not help.
    Battery does not seem to be the issue nor neutral switch.(45RE trans)
    It always hapen after some driving 99% on warm sunny days (I live in south)when Jeep is sitting directly on sun for couple hours I don't have idea why.
    Cranks on cold days or when engine is cold at morning
    Thanks.

My Jeeps:
    2000 WJ V8 Laredo RWD 110K, K&N intake
    2000 WJ I6 Laredo RWD 83K, base model

Banned

Starter....

apparently a common issue

Try rolling it in N a few feet, or hitting the starter with a hammer and see if it makes a difference

Registered

Change it now before it dumps you in a parking lot somewhere.I had to change mine in a parking lot around 7am @37F(not fun)
    Stock 2000 4.7L Limited 4x4

I am guessing bad cell in battery and a bad starter. Costco sells good batteries and nobody sells them for cheaper or have a longer warranty. Starters can be found all over, I like the MOPAR updated one that I have on there now after the stock one stopped working.

Thanks guys!

KLYMACX

the immobilizer will give you a crank no start....not kill it completely
    if you turn the key on youll see the sec light, yellow circle with key in it, after a few seconds it will go out....thats the key recieving your key code....if it didnt recieve it you would here clicking, it would crank and just as it would start it would die.

there is no lock out for time period like the gm that lock you out and you have to leave the key on for 10 mins....

look into your starter, solenoid, relays, all that good stuff
    KLYMACX
    4.7 Litre
    (OIIIIIO)
    theres only one

dude you need to diagnose it.

rule out battery - done.
    rule out connections and cable quality
    rule out vehicle security system
    rule out a command start if u have one
    finally starter.

if i had to guess it would be starter.

Quote Originally Posted by foluwo View Post
    Change it now before it dumps you in a parking lot somewhere.I had to change mine in a parking lot around 7am @37F(not fun)
    i changed mine on the curb lane... had to go buy one and install it before it became a h.o.v. lane! sucked!

but yeah, a very intermittent problem that would go away for quite some time... but got worse over time.
    opinions are like a*edited*les. everyone has one.
    is this better? edited for crybabies.

Replaced starter three days ago. Today same thing (after driving 15 miles and sitting 2 hours or so)- no crank, nothing. Had to wait til engine got cold then it started again.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Yummy. Gotta love electrical gremlins....
    rhlusek, when your Jeep does crank, does it seem to take longer than it should when cranking?

Have you checked for any DTC's by chance?
    WK2 Limited

Yeah, I'd agree. Starter. Same exact problems with my wifes jeep. Had corroded battery cables and a busted nut on the solenoid that was making intermitent contact.

Quote Originally Posted by PainKiller View Post
    Yummy. Gotta love electrical gremlins....
    rhlusek, when your Jeep does crank, does it seem to take longer than it should when cranking?

Have you checked for any DTC's by chance?
    Yes it seems to take longer when its cranking.
    Thanks

Icon310

Last week Jeep did not crank three times in different places on me. I did not drive it on Saturday and today I wanted to go to store (on very warm afternoon) and it did not crank- nothing (and I did not drive it or start it today at all). So I checked Battery with multimeter and it showed 12.4V, checked if power goes to starter and to PDC and it showed 12.4V= Battery cables should be ok? So I let my wife turn ignition (key)on and off. I could hear and feel clicks in ASD and starter relays in PowerDistCenter but no crank. Also I "played" a little bit with relays and wires at PDC and nothing helped no crank. Then I turned ignition three times on and off for self diagnostic and it showed code P1282 - it never did before.P1282= Fuel pump relay control circuit (An open or shorted condition detected in fuel pump relay control circuit). Jeep did not started for all afternoon. I kept trying until it started again at evening after temperature droped outside.
    After that I started it few more times- there is no check engine light ON, but it still shows P1282 code. Is this new problem or it got something to do with Jeep cranking problem? Tomorrow I will have to drive to work my old Altima- blaah.
    Thank you for any suggestions and help

A weak or failing fuel pump is a common issue with Jeeps having a "no start" or "extended cranking time" issue. Regarding the relay, it could be a break in the power control circuit for the relay, could be a weak ground, or could be the relay itself.

I have also seen several failed PCMs that have duplicated the same symptoms/codes you have described.
    WK2 Limited

I think I solved my issue about 20 min ago.
    Jeep was running fine for whole week.Today drove to Post office, stoped there for about 3 minutes came back and could not crank it again. As usualy went under hood try to play with wires- nothing, tried to play with wires under steering wheel compartment- nothing. Finaly after all these months got bright idea (daaaah). Turn and hold key in start position and play with wires under steering wheel (squeeze them and beat them a little bit try to find loose contact). And it started! Came home took apart everything under steering wheel and found cheap black box Made in Taiwan with all these wires coming in and one of those wires when I moved it here and there is creating this problem (need change whole box, female conector seems to be loose)
    Please anyone has idea what is this black flat box?
    Thanks to all of you.
    000_2074.jpg

000_2075.jpg

000_2076.jpg

I saw your other thread. I agree that it's an aftermarket alarm module.
    Which one of the connectors is loose? If it's loose inside the module, it's probably suffering from a broken solder joint...which can be fixed pretty easily.
    WK2 Limited

Quote Originally Posted by PainKiller View Post
    I saw your other thread. I agree that it's an aftermarket alarm module.
    Which one of the connectors is loose? If it's loose inside the module, it's probably suffering from a broken solder joint...which can be fixed pretty easily.
    Thanks.

any final resolution on this?
    91 YJ w/ some mods.

Quote Originally Posted by rhlusek View Post
    I think I solved my issue about 20 min ago.
    Jeep was running fine for whole week.Today drove to Post office, stoped there for about 3 minutes came back and could not crank it again. As usualy went under hood try to play with wires- nothing, tried to play with wires under steering wheel compartment- nothing. Finaly after all these months got bright idea (daaaah). Turn and hold key in start position and play with wires under steering wheel (squeeze them and beat them a little bit try to find loose contact). And it started! Came home took apart everything under steering wheel and found cheap black box Made in Taiwan with all these wires coming in and one of those wires when I moved it here and there is creating this problem (need change whole box, female conector seems to be loose)
    Please anyone has idea what is this black flat box?
    Thanks to all of you.
    000_2074.jpg

000_2075.jpg

000_2076.jpg
    What year jeep was this? I have a 2005WK and it has a mind of its own when it wants to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronboy View Post
    What year jeep was this? I have a 2005WK and it has a mind of its own when it wants to start.
    "Ronboy" Have you started your own thread or searched for the issues you are having? I would like to know what kind of issues you are having without clogging you this thread.

99 WJ Limited, 20% tint, BFG roof rack, cold air intake, HIDs, 6" lift, 32" BFG on Rubi wheels

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast