Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rubicon Springs

Default Rubicon Springs

How much longer are rubicon springs than stock tj springs. Im thinking about swapping my 2.5 skyjacker bouncy springs for rubicon springs with a 1 or 2 inch spacer and some blistein 5100s.

Does this sound like a good idea? any recommendations or advice?
    05 Silver Wrangler Rocky Mountain ED.
    Six Speed Standard
    Dana 44 REAR
    2.5 skyjacker lift,
    Bilstein 5100s
    31 Bf Goodrich
    Blacked-out

They're the same as Sahara Hard Top springs i think. No longer, but have a higher spring rate.
    Check out BDS 2" or 3" springs and shocks. I love mine.

Don't look for "Rubicon" springs. What you want to look for are springs by part number which will indicate rate, higher number will be a higher rate which may equal a slight height increase. As a rule (but not always!) the Rubicon LJ had the heaviest springs.

so in reality 'rubicon' springs arent any different in size just the spring rate? In order to make a more comftorable ride would you say spend more money on the springs or shocks?
    Six Speed Standard
    Dana 44 REAR
    2.5 skyjacker lift,
    Bilstein 5100s
    31 Bf Goodrich
    Blacked-out

i have a set of springs from a 2004 unlimited hard top .and will be putting in a 1997 4cyl soft top .will it be a noticable difference in the height ? want to put on 31''s
    2004 unlimted 33 '' , 4''re lift discos,cb.etc
    2002 liberty
    245/70/16
    97 cherokee 31'' 4'' lift discos ,cb
    97 tj ,with 2.5 ome lift ,1"bl ,chevy 350 ,auto ,33's bfg ats d44 with arb locker in rear

Rubicon springs are no different, and Rubicons do not sit any higher than other TJ's. The only height advantage they have is the 31" tires. The spring rate for my stock rear springs was 105AA.

If you replace saggy stock springs with Rubicon springs, it might appear to make it taller, when in reality it's putting it back to stock.
    2004 TJ Rubicon
    4" Superlift w/RC 2.2 Shocks
    Cragar V5's with 33x12.50 MTR's
    Discos and a JKS 1.25" BL

www.vanc4x4.net

I would leave the 2 1/2 Skyjacker springs you have alone and get some good shocks. OME makes some good shocks and there regular shocks are more then long enough for your ride.. Most but not all would agree that OME shocks are one of the best riding shocks out there.. But it's all a matter of taste and opinion.. You have a short wheel base vehicle your just not going to get it to ride like a car.. Look at my sig I have the same ride as you! Nice choice.. I have some 2 1/2" Rancho springs just waiting to go on with OME shocks! I had the rear OME shocks on just to see if the ride was better.. It was but with my stock springs I would lose a coil do to the extra drop ( Longer shocks).. The rear also took a washboard road with out the rear breaking lose like it did with the org. shocks did .. As soon as the weather gets better around here I will install it all.. Best of luck.. George

Quote Originally Posted by nick33914 View Post
    so in reality 'rubicon' springs arent any different in size just the spring rate? In order to make a more comftorable ride would you say spend more money on the springs or shocks?
    2005 Rocky Mountain Edition TJ. Black on black 6cyl auto, D44 3.73 gears, tilt wheel, air ,cd player ,7speaker sound with a sub woofer,Factory fog (driving) lights, 30x9.50X15 on ravine wheels for now.. Tilt wheel, tinted glass. 2 1/2" Rancho springs OME shocks and OME track bar bracket. *His*
    2007 Mustang Fastback coup, red fire Lot's of options and fun stuff the wife wanted!! We had added wide black racing strips over hood roof and trunk and the detailed black Mustang stripes on the sides.. Dealer item! *Hers*
    2014 Jeep Cherokee! Ugly cuss 4 banger 9 speed auto. Other then it's looks we like it. This will be our winter beater to save our vechiles from northeast salt *Ours*..

thanks george good advice
    Six Speed Standard
    Dana 44 REAR
    2.5 skyjacker lift,
    Bilstein 5100s
    31 Bf Goodrich
    Blacked-out

I'll trade you some stock Rubicon springs for those 2.5 Skyjackers
    2004 TJ Rubicon

www.vanc4x4.net

Stiffer springs will give you a slight amount of added clearance. Its all about the weight you got. A hardtop + 4.0 + full doors are a few hundred pounds heavier than a soft top half doors and the 2.5. If your covered in armor, you wont really see much of a change [because of the added weight].

Registered

Also keep in mind, a stiffer spring rate is only welcome if you're carrying a heavier than stock load (for a daily driver.. I'm not talking baja).

I figured shortly after I had my lift I would have armor, bumpers, big honkin' tire carrier, winch, etc.

I ordered OME HD springs. I shouldn't have. My ride sucks because of it, the spring rate is just to high. I still have stock F&R bumpers because it's been 8 years and they've survived, soft top and no armor, nor winch. I should have done mediums in the front (6 cyl) and light's in the rear.

Don't go for a super high spring rate just because...
    Brandon
    99 TJ Sport w/ black Huskyliner floor liners front AND rear.. And a digital tire guage that is WAY cooler than Linyee's.

TJ / 4.6L Stroker / 8.8 / 35's

PGH Offroad

Quote Originally Posted by LordAthens View Post
    Also keep in mind, a stiffer spring rate is only welcome if you're carrying a heavier than stock load (for a daily driver.. I'm not talking baja).

I figured shortly after I had my lift I would have armor, bumpers, big honkin' tire carrier, winch, etc.

I ordered OME HD springs. I shouldn't have. My ride sucks because of it, the spring rate is just to high. I still have stock F&R bumpers because it's been 8 years and they've survived, soft top and no armor, nor winch. I should have done mediums in the front (6 cyl) and light's in the rear.

Don't go for a super high spring rate just because...
    Ditto
    I run the soft OME rear springs (as well as front) and they are great. I had HD's... they sucked on my rig, it's too light.

The OME shocks are the same way. My Jeep is light, almost all stock, and mine rides terrible.
    - Jason -

2006 Rubicon
    2" OME Lift, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 33x12.50x15's on black Soft 8's, Smittybilt XRC-8 winch

Stangnut, IMO OME shocks are low pressure shocks and compress very easy unlike the stock shocks that are high pressure shocks and are hard to compress because of this they add stiffness to the spring rate going over hard bumps.. Stiff ride with a lot of unnecessary add shock that is jarring..

Nick, Go with the OME shocks.. At least you'll have some really good shocks that should improve your ride.. You can still go with some stock springs and a BB if you still can't live with it.. But I think you will find it much better with the OME's.. George
    2005 Rocky Mountain Edition TJ. Black on black 6cyl auto, D44 3.73 gears, tilt wheel, air ,cd player ,7speaker sound with a sub woofer,Factory fog (driving) lights, 30x9.50X15 on ravine wheels for now.. Tilt wheel, tinted glass. 2 1/2" Rancho springs OME shocks and OME track bar bracket. *His*
    2007 Mustang Fastback coup, red fire Lot's of options and fun stuff the wife wanted!! We had added wide black racing strips over hood roof and trunk and the detailed black Mustang stripes on the sides.. Dealer item! *Hers*
    2014 Jeep Cherokee! Ugly cuss 4 banger 9 speed auto. Other then it's looks we like it. This will be our winter beater to save our vechiles from northeast salt *Ours*..

Its not that my ride is stiff and jarring but it is very soft a bouncy. If i go over a pothole or just a slight bump in the road I feel that same bump fifty feet down the road. George, i would go with OME but with Bilstein being buy 3 get 1 free i must jump on that opportunity. I have heard nothing but good when it comes to the 5100s. Hopefully this bouncing discontinues after the shocks.
    Six Speed Standard
    Dana 44 REAR
    2.5 skyjacker lift,
    Bilstein 5100s
    31 Bf Goodrich
    Blacked-out

Spelling&Grammar-Lern It JeffBowser's Avatar

yup, still feeling a bump fifty feet down the road, that's a shock not doing its job of stifling the spring.
    ----------------
    97 Sahara,original owner. 285/70/R17 on an OME kit + 1"bl. 4.56, Truetrac F/R + other assorted crap.

I saved my stock coil springs off my 2003 Rubicon. They are 130AA and 106AA. I have only ever seen them on some 2003 Rubicons.

I ended up using them on my 2005 LJ with 1" coil spacers to level out a winch, winch mount and Garvin roof rack. The LJ came with 129AB and 105AA coil springs. I've seen these same spring numbers on 04 and 05 Rubicons.

More info here:
    http://www.dontfearthejeeper.com/vie...&t=63&start=20

Model Front/Rear
    SE 4cyl 5spd soft top 127/104
    SE 4cyl auto soft top 128/104
    SE 4cyl 5spd hard top 128/104
    X 6cyl 5spd soft top 128/104
    Sport auto dual top 129/105
    Sport 5spd soft top 129/105
    LJ 6cyl Either Tranny 129/105
    TJ/LJ Rubicon Auto/Dual Top 130/106
    TJ Rubicon Soft Top 5spd 129/05 or 130/06 depending on year
    2005 LJ - Wilderness Expedition Rack - M8000 - MTRs, 97 XJ, 85 FJ60

Im pretty sure my fronts were 129's and I know the rears were 105's.
    2004 TJ Rubicon

www.vanc4x4.net

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeep View Post
    They're the same as Sahara Hard Top springs i think. No longer, but have a higher spring rate.
    Check out BDS 2" or 3" springs and shocks. I love mine.
    likeing the new flex pic in the sig~!
    1999 tj 2.5l 4 banger, aem intake, magnaflow cat back, 4 inch pro comp short arm lift, 33 bfg ats, hi-lift, uniden 510 and 4 foot wilson antenna, custom front bumper, 2 day-lighters, and a poly performance rear bumper/tire carrier.

Registered

Can someone help me determine what springs and/or shocks I should run on my jeep?

I have an 06 SE 2.4L 6spd with A/C and factory full metal doors. It originally came with a softop, but I got rid of it and now have an OEM Hardtop.
    I don't have any armor or winch, and my bumpers are stock, but I do have a very heavy duty class III hitch on the back, wich probably is canceled out because I removed my back seat. I run stock 215/75R15 (28's) and do not plan on going any larger, but I do plan on eventually getting wheels with about 1 inch less back spacing for a slightly wider stance.
    I think the ride height is pretty right on. it does not sag since adding the hardtop, but it just seems like it leans too easy in the back and does not hold a curve very good at all. The front sits a little low, but seems to ride ok. My jeep is very crappy going through the wind, and I have had other Jeep guys tell me mine is exceptionally crappy even for a jeep. when I am struggeling to stay on the road at 55mph through the wind I have been passed by other jeeps doing at least 65 maybe 70.
    I primarily drive on the highway I have a 50 mile round trip commute to work 5 days a week, and most of the places I go on my days off ar at least 50 miles away or farther.

I wish it was more stable on the highway and cornering, and on windy days, but somehow do not want to make it any stiffer off road. seems like the shocks need to move slower when I hit bumps off road, but seems ok on the highway.
    I do plan on adding a little more weight to the jeep mostly inside, and fog lamps, and the OEM diamond plate under the doors from Rubicons. I pull a small trailer once in a while about 1000lbs with cargo. I offroad mostly in beach type sand and and dirt, and occasional mud.
    It is pretty much me one other person and my 70lb dog in the back everywhere I go, and I usually carry camping gear with me.

from what am reading it seems like I should probably go with 128/105 springs with OME shocks, does that seem about right? I have never used OME shocks, but I have used a few different ranchos and few different Trailmasters. I didn't like any of the Ranchos that I had, I didn't really like the Trailmaster Invader SS, but thought the Trailmaster SSV was decent. Had a nice highway ride and decent offroad ride, but still a little stiff offroad.
    I always have bought gas shocks. Should I be buying oil shocks for the slower softer ride? or should I just keep my soft springs and add stiffer shocks just maybe a little better quality than stock?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast