Thread: Dana axle tube outer diameter 30 and 44?

Default Dana axle tube outer diameter 30 and 44?

I have been looking and am unable to confirm that both the Dana 30 and Dana 44 Tube diameters are the same. Are they both 2.50 inches O.D. with .25 thick wall.

Any info would be great. Hopefully thanks in advance.

Registered

I can't answer the question but measuring the OD won't be a problem. I am certain that the tubes are NOT .250 wall. I don't know what they are, maybe .188 or so, but definately not .250.

Quote Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
    I can't answer the question but measuring the OD won't be a problem. I am certain that the tubes are NOT .250 wall. I don't know what they are, maybe .188 or so, but definately not .250.
    Same here. I'm pretty sure they are not 1/4". Someone cut up stock axle housings and measured a couple years back...less than 1/4" comes to mind.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Frank (Daless 2) measured them a few years ago. His write ups were some of the most thorough on here:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=109186

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=137302

That's some awesome data comparing the two axles. Some of the similarities were surprising. I'll be sure to keep this on hand when anyone brings up how much the D35 sucks.
    99' TJ 4.0L, 33x12.50 BFG MT, 4" RC Lift
    -D30 4.10 Truetrac
    -S35 4.10 OX
    -SYE & CV Shaft
    -DIY Disconnects
    95' ZJ 5.2L Stock .....RIP

well the facory D44 (front or back) is simply a D44 center section....thats it! It uses the small(er) tubes......Most aftermarket 44's that I have looked into use either 3" or 3 1/8" tubing with at least .25" wall thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by ehirner View Post
    Same here. I'm pretty sure they are not 1/4". Someone cut up stock axle housings and measured a couple years back...less than 1/4" comes to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Volkman View Post
    Frank (Daless 2) measured them a few years ago. His write ups were some of the most thorough on here:
    Do the older D44s from other vehicles have thicker tubes? I thought I remember the Wrangler axles being thinner than expected. Perhaps I'm mistaken from a couple years ago.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Quote Originally Posted by sharpenedlight14 View Post
    That's some awesome data comparing the two axles. Some of the similarities were surprising. I'll be sure to keep this on hand when anyone brings up how much the D35 sucks.
    When someone tells you the D35 sucks it is the C clip design they are talking about. Not the tube size or thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by ehirner View Post
    Do the older D44s from other vehicles have thicker tubes? I thought I remember the Wrangler axles being thinner than expected. Perhaps I'm mistaken from a couple years ago.
    Yes, non-Jeep dana 44's are different. older Dana 44 fronts basically only share the ring gear size with jeep dana 44's - everything else is different/stronger on the older axles.

Quote Originally Posted by pelone View Post
    When someone tells you the D35 sucks it is the C clip design they are talking about. Not the tube size or thickness.
    The ford 8.8 has a c clip design as well. Yet I haven't heard too many people complaining about that.
    99' TJ 4.0L, 33x12.50 BFG MT, 4" RC Lift
    -D30 4.10 Truetrac
    -S35 4.10 OX
    -SYE & CV Shaft
    -DIY Disconnects
    95' ZJ 5.2L Stock .....RIP

Registered

Thanks for this info.It made up my mind once and for ALL.A supper 35 is just as strong as a stock 44.Truss up the d 35 tubes throw in the s35 kit and its stronger then the 44.Just install the s 35 kit and its a done deal.Dont half to find a over priced used dana 44,then have to install it,and then get rid of the old 35.Also more ground clearance.Im ordering the supper 35 tomarow.Ill see you on the trails.

03tj 6cyl auto 2''rusty springs/shocks,1'' moor alum coil spacers on top,1'' home made alum body lift,adj track bars,aussie locker up front ,373s on 32x11.50 ats.

I think the OP wanted to compare std. front axles with Rubicon front axles.

Back then, when Daless 2 collected all the data about axle tube size, he was just comparing the rear axle options.

Anyways, my 1998 TJ Dana 30 front axle has an outer axle tube diameter of 2.5" or 63,5mm.
    Last edited by Lauti; 03-10-2009 at 09:56 AM.
    Servus, Lauti
    '98 TJ 4.0|3"+1.25"lift|4.56gears|AirLockers|285/70R17BridgestoneBlizzakDM-V1|315/75R16CooperDiscovererSTT
    '09 JK Unltd 2.8CRD 545RFE|as original as it gets - but will it stay that way? <-- well, the Blizzaks moved here

went and checked my axle tube seals, took some measurements, and found that the o-rings on the axle tube seals measure just a bit over 50mm O.D. (okay, the one I measured is worn down a bit due to the seal spinning in the tube after a popped u-joint bearing cap went unnoticed for a few days).
    Well, 63,5mm minus 50mm is 13,5mm which for me is close enough to 12,7mm, which is half an inch.

So at least my front axle's tubes have a 1/4" of wall thickness, O.D. 2.5"x0.250".

Memo to myself: Get that order at Dynatrac in, for that ProRock44 replacement housing! A.S.A.P.!
    Servus, Lauti
    '98 TJ 4.0|3"+1.25"lift|4.56gears|AirLockers|285/70R17BridgestoneBlizzakDM-V1|315/75R16CooperDiscovererSTT
    '09 JK Unltd 2.8CRD 545RFE|as original as it gets - but will it stay that way? <-- well, the Blizzaks moved here

Quote Originally Posted by mikesbeachhut View Post
    Thanks for this info.It made up my mind once and for ALL.A supper 35 is just as strong as a stock 44.Truss up the d 35 tubes throw in the s35 kit and its stronger then the 44.Just install the s 35 kit and its a done deal.Dont half to find a over priced used dana 44,then have to install it,and then get rid of the old 35.Also more ground clearance.Im ordering the supper 35 tomarow.Ill see you on the trails.

not sure how you arrived at that conclusion, but whatever.

Registered

my yukon S35 axleshafts are 1.3 in. and 30spline. I'm not sure what that translates to strengh or compares to D44 shafts. I also agree with Lauti, d30 axle tubes are 1/4 wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauti View Post
    I think the OP wanted to compare std. front axles with Rubicon front axles.

Back then, when Daless 2 collected all the data about axle tube size, he was just comparing the rear axle options.

Anyways, my 1998 TJ Dana 30 front axle has an outer axle tube diameter of 2.5" or 63,5mm.
    Thanks, 2.5" for the D30. I was actually wondering if my rear D44 had the same size OD as my front D30. looks like from those data sheets the D44 and the D35 have 2.625ish OD.

Well anyway, looks like this received quite the response. Thanks for all the data.