Thread: 96 ZJ 4L Auto Transmission Problems

Registered

Default 96 ZJ 4L Auto Transmission Problems

I can't seem to find the exact amount of fluid the transmission requires when replacing it. The guy at the dealership was pretty vague.

Also, my transmission is not good. When the car is first started, completely cold, the transmission will make a proper shift from first to second and then to third only once. After that initial travel through the gears, whenever I attempt to pull out, the car feels like its pulling out in third, but if i manually put it into second it will use second and then i put it in drive. If I put the car in first, it uses second...
    I really hope its simply the fluid.

any ideas?

or does any one want to trade me for their manual

any check engine light codes? you have the 42RE, so you may need a simple fluid/filter change and a new governor/sensor solenoid change. 2 little parts, cost about $40 new...and will make your transmission shift better..

however..depending on your mileage, your rear drum seal may be shot. subtract a quart of transmission fluid and add a quart of LUCAS transmission stabilizer in the transmission and it should help it out alot. alot of guys on here will say no to that, but ive been doing it for years now, it doesnt hurt it.

JUST MAKE SURE you put ATF+4 in!...chrysler transmissions are very strict on what they take as far as fluids go. walmart sells MOPAR ATF+4 for almost 5 bucks a bottle...and supertech carries ATF+4 now for like 2.85 a bottle too...same stuff..works just as well. the only thing supertech makes that you shouldnt use is their motor oil..stuff is like water.

also...get about 7 quarts of ATF...thats about how much you'll need. it varies to every jeep...but usually i need 6-7.
    Past Jeeps:
    1998 Special Edition ZJ 4.0L Green
    1998 Special Editon ZJ 5.2L Triple Black
    1993 Limited 5.2L 344k miles POS white
    1988 Wrangler YJ 4.2L/242 transfer case/4" homebrew lift- Mixture of Brown, Red, and white.

Now: 1999 Mazda Protege ...I'll have another kewl car when I get out of college.

Registered

my zj has 259,000 on the original engine/transmission currently...so its probably a little shot ha.

I didn't know about the solenoid, ill change that out since its cheap

Also, check your fluid level in neutral only.
    That which does not make you stronger, kills you.

Deep slate olllllllo 5.9 Ltd, nearly stock.

259,000 on a transmission is decent...

if theres no slippage...i would definitely do the solenoid/sensor change...maybe adjust the bands too. should help alot. along with the lucas...should shift decent.
    Past Jeeps:
    1998 Special Edition ZJ 4.0L Green
    1998 Special Editon ZJ 5.2L Triple Black
    1993 Limited 5.2L 344k miles POS white
    1988 Wrangler YJ 4.2L/242 transfer case/4" homebrew lift- Mixture of Brown, Red, and white.

Now: 1999 Mazda Protege ...I'll have another kewl car when I get out of college.

Registered

Icon928

Where are the solenoid/sensor. Mine has done 110k so thought if not difficult i may as well change them. john.n

|-98 ZJ Laredo SE-|-235k mi-|-4.0L 242-|-Cooper Discoverer ATRs-|-Flowmaster Super 44-|-Homebrew Intake-|-Monroe Reflex/Air Max Shocks-|-Hayden Rapid-Cool Heavy Duty TX Cooler-|-Infinity Reference 1262w Sub-|-Infinity Reference 1300a Amp-|-Eclipse se8365 Components-|

Registered

the solenoid and sensor seem pretty easy to fix i just hate draining my transmission
    96 ZJ 4.0 42Re
    250,000 miles original motor

Use a long 1/4" plastic tubing and syphon most of the fluid out first.
    That which does not make you stronger, kills you.

Deep slate olllllllo 5.9 Ltd, nearly stock.