Thread: Which Cherokee Leaf Springs???

Default Which Cherokee Leaf Springs???

Planning to replace the sagging leaf springs on my 2000 Cherokee Sport. I tow a 23-foot boat, and would like to replace with the best springs for the job... looking for a better spring rate and a little lift (but not enough to cause drive shaft vibration). Stock spring was part #52000706AB. I've found a bunch of different part numbers, but the sellers don't seem to know any specs on these parts (nor does the Jeep dealer). Anybody know the differences between these springs (spring rate, arch, lift)? Anybody know which springs are used in a Cherokee with the factory tow package?

LEAF SPRING ASSEMBLY 1984-2001 STANDARD 4 LEAF 52000051AB
    LEAF SPRING ASSEMBLY 1984-2001 HEAVY DUTY (LS, ZGV, ZVV) 4 LEAF 4886185AB
    LEAF SPRING ASSEMBLY 1984-2001 HEAVY DUTY (LT, ZGW, ZVW) 4 LEAF 4886186AB
    LEAF SPRING ASSEMBLY 1984-2001 HEAVY DUTY (LK) 4 LEAF 4886187AB
    LEAF SPRING ASSEMBLY 1984-2001 HEAVY DUTY (LN, ZUU, ZFU) 4 LEAF 52000706AB
    LEAF SPRING ASSEMBLY 1984-2001 HEAVY DUTY (LM, ZGU, ZVU) 4 LEAF 52000707AB

Registered

Check this thread out, I think it will provide at least a little information...hopefully.
    http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=983884
    If your looking to haul more while not compromising unloaded driving quality, consider adding airbag assist or a helper leaf in addition.
    :Screen_of_Death: "PC Load Letter--What the.."

I drive a Jeep. A blue one.

Thanks. I came across that site earlier and it does help. I just need one more bit of info... about the stock spring (LEAF SPRING ASSEMBLY 1984-2001 HEAVY DUTY (LN, ZUU, ZFU) 4 LEAF 52000706AB). That site lists this part as STANDARD DUTY and others list it as HEAVY DUTY. Knowing the spec on that spring will give me a frame of reference.

Here's the info from the link that rockjockphatts provided:

LL - 3-1/8" free arch, load rating 405
    LM - 5-5/8" free arch, load rating 605
    LS - 6" free arch, load rating 675
    LT - 7" free arch, load rating 755 UpCountry + 1 "

Dealer part numbers:

52000050 Standard Duty, Coded LB
    52000051 Standard Duty, Coded LC, EC
    52000706 Standard Duty, Coded LN, ES
    52000544 Heavy Duty, Coded LK
    52000545 Heavy Duty, Coded LL, EL
    52000707 Heavy Duty, Coded LM
    52002390 Heavy Duty, Coded LS
    52002392 Heavy Duty, Coded LT ( UpCountry package +1” leaf spring)

Registered

i didnt look at the link provided, but quadratec sells a HD stock spring that provides about 1" to 1.5" of lift.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_11.htm

if for towing, i also recommend some type of assist from either airbags, air shocks, or leaf helper spring.

also look into a tranny cooler, make sure your rear brakes are adjusted properly, and the cooling system is up for the task. the last you want to do is overheat the engine on a 00-01 xj, the head is prone to cracking. a good upgrade would be a good 2 or 3 core radiator.

That's the "LT" spring from the list. I was thinking about going with that option. Will the 1.5" lift cause the drive train vibration that I've read about?

I spoke to one part seller who said that the "LS" spring will give about a half inch lift.

I'm not too concerned about overheating... the boat ramp is only 2 miles away. The trailer has surge brakes, so stopping is not a problem.

get the lt if it does then drop the case a half inch
    99 XJ Sport, 4wd, 4dr, 4.0, 4" lift, 33s - SOLD
    97 XJ, np231, LSD rear, 4.0, 4.5" lift 33s, porc sye

Well, I finally did the job. I went with the "LT" springs (part # 4886186AB, made by Crown) to get the highest load rating for towing. I bought the springs from AutoPartsWarehouse.com for $155.94. They had a St. Patrick's Day sale for $77.97 each plus free shipping, well below their regular price of $111.47 each. I bought the bushings from Morris 4x4 Center (jeep4x4center.com) for $30.35 shipped, which included a 10% discount.

After reading about all of the problems removing the bolts, I decided to hit all of the bolts with PB Blaster long before I even started. I sprayed all of them three times, waiting at least a week between applications. Before I ordered the parts, I actually tried loosening all of the bolts, just to make sure the job wasn't going to be a big headache.

The job took about 4 hours to complete. The first spring came off with no problems whatsoever. I took it slow to make sure I didn't get any surprises. The new spring bolted in pretty easily. The only problem I had was that the axle moved backward about 2 inches. I used a come-along to pull it forward. Total time on the first spring was about 2 hours (with several breaks). Took a half-hour break before starting the other side. I had only one problem removing the second spring. The rear bushing bolt was rusted into the bushing. It took several good whacks with a hammer to get the bolt out. That did a little damage to the end of the bolt and I had to file down the burs. The new spring bolted in with no problems; the axle didn't move. Total time on the second spring was about 1.5 hours (also with several breaks).

In case I ever have to do this again, I applied a generous amount of grease to every bolt. Along with the springs, I splurged for new bushings and I'm glad I did. I can see it would have been a real pain to remove and re-use the old bushings. Installing the new bushings was a breeze. I coated them with marine fogging oil (very thick) and tapped them in with a rubber mallet. It took less than 5 minutes to install all 4 bushings. I re-used the U-bolts with no problem... they were very clean and easy to remove. If I had to do it all over, I would have bought new shackles... they were pretty well rusted, but they were solid, so it won't be a problem.

See the photos I posted. I lined up an old spring and a new one just to see the difference. The new one had a slightly higher arch (about 1/2 inch). The new one also has shorter leaves than the old one. See the before and after photos of the car. The new springs lifted the rear about 2 inches. The old springs were sagging so badly that the 2-inch lift probably brings it back to the original height, maybe just slightly higher. I road-tested the car, and didn't notice any drive train vibrations. I'll have to replace the rusted noisy muffler before I can say for sure that there is no vibration.

Thanks to all who responded to my post and to those who posted info about doing this job. It definitely made it easier to know what sort of problems often arise and taking steps to avoid them. I did the job for $186, well below the $675 quote I received from a local repair shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by grumpy_steven; 03-26-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Did you remove the shackle bushings as well or reuse them? I just swapped my factory leaf springs for OME 2" lift springs and also had an amazingly easy time removing the 3 spring bolts thanks for PB blasting all winter long in anticipation...well worth it! I purchased a bushing kit (Daystar polyuerathane) from ebay to install with the new leaf springs....no problem. Then i wanted to install new shackle bushings since they came with the kit....this is when the job got a little tricky. The old bushings didn't want to come out so i used a bearing press and 3-5 tons of force to remove. Then the brand new shackle bushings were at least 1/8" too large on the OD to fit in the factory shackle. There was no way to press them in, NOT EVEN CLOSE, so I turned them down on a lathe. I'm lucky to have a machine shop 10 mins from home. Not only was the shackle MUCH smaller than the bushing, but it was FAR FROM ROUND. I again used the press to get the new bushings in. Anyone else have trouble with the shackle bushings from Daystar kits??

I used the original shackles and shackle bushings. I didn't replace either of these parts. If I had replaced them, I would have replaced the shackles and bushings together. After reading about the trouble that other people had trying to remove bushings, I decided not to try do remove any of them. I put new bushings in the springs and re-used the shackles and shackle bushings.

Registered

If that doesn't work consider getting an overload leaf from a reputable suspension shop in your area.

2001 2WD Limited

OME shock absorbers & steering stabilizer
    Energy Suspension anti-roll bar bushings
    Praise Dyno Brake discs/drums
    Braided stainless brake hoses
    Jeepers Creepers battery harness
    Big Three Charging System Upgrade
    Optima Yellow Top
    Hella headlights, custom harness
    Narva #48911 55w/100w halogen
    Kumho 255/65-16 tires