Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HELP, anwering some questions

Icon920 HELP, anwering some questions

Hi i am new to the forum. I just put a 2.5'' skyjacker lift on my tj and the ride is uncomftorably bouncy. Is that due to the shocks, if so what are some good cheap shocks that have little boynce to them.

Second, recently i got stuck in a water hole, water was to my midsection, and the engine turned off, no water got into the air intake. I changed the oil. Is there anything else i should take a look at, is there going to be any long term effects of this.

third, i have a dana 44 in the back with 3.73 ratio. Im currently running 31, how big can i go 32's safely and what is the difference between that and a 4.10?

THANKS
    05 Silver Wrangler Rocky Mountain ED.
    Six Speed Standard
    Dana 44 REAR
    2.5 skyjacker lift,
    Bilstein 5100s
    31 Bf Goodrich
    Blacked-out

1. What shocks do you have?

2. I would also check axle diffs, tranny, t-case fluids period.

3. I have 3.73's on 31" right now, I had 32" seemed fine to me, if you go with 4.10 and what to go bigger wait until you get to the size you like and do the gears one time. Save the money! IMO you will be fine with 32's.

Shocks are unknown, they are white is all i know.
    Do you think my engine is ok if not water got into the intake, the water was just covering more than half the engine though.

Thanks for response.
    Six Speed Standard
    Dana 44 REAR
    2.5 skyjacker lift,
    Bilstein 5100s
    31 Bf Goodrich
    Blacked-out

Quote Originally Posted by nick33914 View Post
    Do you think my engine is ok if not water got into the intake, the water was just covering more than half the engine though.

Thanks for response.
    have you looked at your dipstick or under the valve cover cap for milky white stuff? If worried just change your oil. Cheap 30 bucks! As far as shocks and your needs, go with OME (old man emu) shocks.

Spelling&Grammar-Lern It JeffBowser's Avatar

White shocks, very bouncy ride, sounds like Doetsch Tech DT3000 shocks. I second the OME shock recommendation. I run 33's on 3.56's, I think you will be fine. JWebber covers your water question.
    ----------------
    97 Sahara,original owner. 285/70/R17 on an OME kit + 1"bl. 4.56, Truetrac F/R + other assorted crap.

Look near the bottom of the can and they will likely be stamped with a part number and possibly a brand.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Fabtech FTS7170, good idea. they suck. OME are deffenitly nice but maybe a little pricey. Does the cost justify buying them? Are they deffenitly worth 80+ each if so i will invest.
    Six Speed Standard
    Dana 44 REAR
    2.5 skyjacker lift,
    Bilstein 5100s
    31 Bf Goodrich
    Blacked-out

Fabtech FTS7170, good idea. they suck. OME are deffenitly nice but maybe a little pricey. Does the cost justify buying them? Are they deffenitly worth 80+ each if so i will invest.
    Many say yes. Some say no. I run them myself and am pleased but I didn't pay $80 a piece.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Quote Originally Posted by ehirner View Post
    Many say yes. Some say no. I run them myself and am pleased but I didn't pay $80 a piece.
    Where can i find them for cheaper, do you have any good sites?
    Six Speed Standard
    Dana 44 REAR
    2.5 skyjacker lift,
    Bilstein 5100s
    31 Bf Goodrich
    Blacked-out

I say no. I just bought a set and I'm VERY disapointed with them. They are only slightly (barely noticable) better than the Pro-Comp ES3000 shocks I was running before and some say those are the worst on the market. Even though a lot of people say they ride better than stock, IMO they don't even come close to riding as good as stock.

OME = very rough, jarring ride, IMO.
    - Jason -

2006 Rubicon
    2" OME Lift, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 33x12.50x15's on black Soft 8's, Smittybilt XRC-8 winch

Quote Originally Posted by stangnut View Post
    I say no. I just bought a set and I'm VERY disapointed with them. They are only slightly (barely noticable) better than the Pro-Comp ES3000 shocks I was running before and some say those are the worst on the market. Even though a lot of people say they ride better than stock, IMO they don't even come close to riding as good as stock.

OME = very rough, jarring ride, IMO.
    What would you reccomend then?
    Six Speed Standard
    Dana 44 REAR
    2.5 skyjacker lift,
    Bilstein 5100s
    31 Bf Goodrich
    Blacked-out

Since those are the only shocks I have used (other than stock on a Sport and a Rubicon) I can't personally recomend any others. However, the two I'm considering to replace the OME's are Rubicon Express monotubes and Rancho RS9000 adustables. Choosing those, unfortunatley, is only based on what I've read on here.

I know you said you want to stay away from the high prices and I do too, but with most shocks the less you spend the rougher the ride.
    - Jason -

2006 Rubicon
    2" OME Lift, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 33x12.50x15's on black Soft 8's, Smittybilt XRC-8 winch

Registered

If your shocks are mounted upside down then you could get a bouncy ride.
    00' TJ, 60 rear, 44 front, AW-4, Stak D300 with 4.1, Krawlers, Allieds, locked, caged, dented and cut sheetmetal.....and now NOT driven daily.

shock boot up, correct?
    Six Speed Standard
    Dana 44 REAR
    2.5 skyjacker lift,
    Bilstein 5100s
    31 Bf Goodrich
    Blacked-out

Registered

Personally, I've had Skyjacker suspension on one of my old Jeep Wrangler TJ's, Skyjacker is KNOWN for bouncy springs. That Jeep was about as comfortable as a stage coach wagon. I know exactly what you're talking about.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but shocks will only dampen the bounce, your Springs are most likely the problem in my opinion.
    This lift is new since you just installed it, so it may break in and get A LITTLE better. If you don't want to replace the springs which I'm sure you don't, I would strongly suggest Bilstein shocks, but your gonna have to put down more coin that $80- ea. most likely.
    The first thing I did to my Jeep when it only had spacers, was installed the 5150 remote reservoir shocks around $150- ea. They made my Jeep ride
    100x better with stock springs though.
    Hope it helps, good luck-
    2005 LJ Rubicon, Corbeau Baja RS seats, 3.5" Rubicon Express Long Arm, Bilstein 5150 Series reservoir shocks, Campbell Enterprise hood, WARN 8250 winch, Currie Anti-Rock, Currie CurrectLync steering, ROKMEN full-corners-rocker guards- gas tank skid, Detroit Rear locker - Stock front, 4:88 gears, Alloy USA chromy's front & rear, 37" IROKS

Build thread:
    http://morrismountainorv.com/mmorvfo...hp?topic=619.0

So, if money were no object, but I only wanted to replace the shocks, would a remote reservior shock give me the best ride?
    - Jason -

2006 Rubicon

Registered

IMO yes. But, when money doesn't become an object, your options go from about $40- a shock to $1,000 ea. for coil overs. My long term plan is to one day have coilovers (not at that price). Haven't decided rebuildable or not, but for a non-rebuildable coilover, Rancho probably makes the best from what I've seen so far. You can even adjust the ride conditons from inside your Jeep to the type of terrain you're on, whether it be street or off-road. Don't know how much the in cab system is, but a friend of mine has the coil overs and they ran around $400- ea. I think, but they are awsome off and on road. Rancho even offers a download (small tab uppper right corner) as to your spring selection guid for coil overs and proper location.
    Refer to link:
    http://www.gorancho.com/products/sho...000x_RS_CO.php
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...all/index.html

But, if that's not for you, I would recommend Bilstein any day. I only say the 5150 because it's what I've been happiest with most.
    Here's a link for more on the 5150:
    http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/bst_5150.cfm

What it all comes down to is, it all depends on what you want out of your suspension. Extreme rock krawling or moderate wheeling.
    Hope it helps, good luck.
    2005 LJ Rubicon, Corbeau Baja RS seats, 3.5" Rubicon Express Long Arm, Bilstein 5150 Series reservoir shocks, Campbell Enterprise hood, WARN 8250 winch, Currie Anti-Rock, Currie CurrectLync steering, ROKMEN full-corners-rocker guards- gas tank skid, Detroit Rear locker - Stock front, 4:88 gears, Alloy USA chromy's front & rear, 37" IROKS

Build thread:
    http://morrismountainorv.com/mmorvfo...hp?topic=619.0

I'm a fan of the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. Ran them on my CJ for many years, now run the 9000XLs on my LJ.
    Although I don't use the in-cab feature, it's easy to adjust each one by the knob at the bottom of the shock. 9-position adjustable.
    For my rig with a Full Traction 3" lift, I run the shocks set at 3 for the street, empty rig. Set them at 5 for a highway trip with a full load of gear. Set them at 0 for offroading, so the suspension flex is not dampened.
    IMHO, these shocks are well worth the price.
    Lynn

Early CJ5 Forums

'05 LJ, Patriot Blue
    3" FT lift, Rancho 9000XLs, 33x10.50 BFG MTs, 15x7 Outlaw IIs, Rubi flares, OME stab, JKS F&R adj trackbars, JKS QDs, custom seat risers, Cassidy's bumpers, sliders & swingout.

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like it's time to start doing more research again.
    - Jason -

2006 Rubicon

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by stangnut View Post
    So, if money were no object, but I only wanted to replace the shocks, would a remote reservior shock give me the best ride?
    Not neccesarily. I have always heard that remote resevior shocks are made for high speed racing primarily. It allows the fluid to cool so air doesn't build up in it. In trail riding and rock crawling this is not needed. Baja is where the remotes really shine.

Atleast this is what was told to me by a tech at Bilstein...but what does he know. I will be getting the regular Bilstein 5100s for me.
    00' TJ, 60 rear, 44 front, AW-4, Stak D300 with 4.1, Krawlers, Allieds, locked, caged, dented and cut sheetmetal.....and now NOT driven daily.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast