Thread: RB1 nav-sirius hookup

Default RB1 nav-sirius hookup

I just ordered used rb1 for my 04 overland. I have an aftermarket gps system and also a sirius store bought headunit and its just too much crap hanging off my windshield. I never realized that extra parts were needed to get sirius to work on the rb1 I figured it would just work somehow. So after looking into it i am going to have to buy a receiver and antenna kit which will run close to $500 and the installation kit I is required($150) for the receiver and also an artist/song cable($50) to get this thing to work for me, so all said and done from what i get off of wjjeeps.com this setup is gonna run me about $700 bucks to get sirius on the rb1! thats rediculous.... someone please tell me that there is a cheaper way

I always thought that the RB1 just needed to be connected to the sirius

Been a long time since I put mine in, but I spent about $250 or $300 for the parts. Not counting the RB1 of course.

There were two things I had to put in the rear of the vehicle by the cd changer. That required removing the rear plastics and drilling. I had to run the wires along the carpet area and install the antenna.
    I did not want to drill a hole in the roof, so I bought an aftermarket antenna, may still drill, who knows.
    Did everything myself, and negotiated the pricing with my local dealership.

Best of luck, I very much enjoy the clean, factory look and function of my install.

Paul
    99 WJ LTD V8 QD, modified to Up Country, RB1/Sirius, Mopar rock rails.

Quote Originally Posted by cherokee_4x4 View Post
    I just ordered used rb1 for my 04 overland. I have an aftermarket gps system and also a sirius store bought headunit and its just too much crap hanging off my windshield. I never realized that extra parts were needed to get sirius to work on the rb1 I figured it would just work somehow. So after looking into it i am going to have to buy a receiver and antenna kit which will run close to $500 and the installation kit I is required($150) for the receiver and also an artist/song cable($50) to get this thing to work for me, so all said and done from what i get off of wjjeeps.com this setup is gonna run me about $700 bucks to get sirius on the rb1! thats rediculous.... someone please tell me that there is a cheaper way
    I have a cheaper way. PM me. I have a complete OEM Sirius Sat receiver, antenna, artist song cable, installation instructions, and all mounting hardware to give you Sirius satellite radio on your RB1. The kit was installed and removed on a RB1 equipped WJ. PM me if interested!
    Last edited by 09Hemi; 01-25-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Registered

It makes a difference, do you have the ten disc changer already?
    I installed Sirius Sat. last year. Worst part was drilling a hole in the roof.
    I just bought a RB1 off eBay, we probably bidded against each other , but won't install untill spring.

Uintah
    Cadillac XLR
    2002 Overland
    2000 Blazer ZR-2
    Samurai Rockcrawler
    1977 Vette

Ya i have the 10 disc changer in the back. I dont think that i will be drilling any holes in my roof either... where can the "aftermarket" antenna be found? is it the same antenna used on sirius brand radios?

Quote Originally Posted by ptv99jgc View Post
    Been a long time since I put mine in, but I spent about $250 or $300 for the parts. Not counting the RB1 of course.

There were two things I had to put in the rear of the vehicle by the cd changer. That required removing the rear plastics and drilling. I had to run the wires along the carpet area and install the antenna.
    I did not want to drill a hole in the roof, so I bought an aftermarket antenna, may still drill, who knows.
    Did everything myself, and negotiated the pricing with my local dealership.

Best of luck, I very much enjoy the clean, factory look and function of my install.

Paul
    Mine is an ancient install too, but wasn't $700 by any stretch. I drilled tho.

Ditto on the factory look. I also installed the Mopar changer and Mopar iPod doo-hicky.
    Tech Writeups and more...
    2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Sorry, old pics
    IRO 3" Springs | 3/4" KOR Sp | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos & Trackbar | Dual Stabs | Addco Rear SB & IRO Links | Clayton LA Front Half | IRO Adj Rear LCA & A-Arm | Spidertrax Spacers | Baer Decela Rotors w/EBC Green Pads | Akebono Calipers | 265/70R17 Goodyear Duratrac on JK 17's | K&N Drop in | Borla Cat-back | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg | Cobra CB & Wilson whip | OEM Tow Hooks F/R | 04 Lower Dash & Grille | Aftermarket Headlights | Deambered Tails | Husky Liners

If you found wjjeeps.com , then that's pretty much the deal. The cost sucks, but you get something that fits into the factory, works seemlessly with the RB1, and works with the steering wheel controls and everything.

Drilling a hole in the roof isn't too bad. The antenna comes with the kit; you need to get a hole saw and just drill in the roof. The antenna clips through, and has a seal around it. It just means that it's a permanent install. Yes, it does feel weird at first to be tearing away at your roof with a hole saw. Once I did it, I actually did it again to hardmount my CB antenna base through the roof as well.

WJJeeps mentions a Terk antenna that you can stick on. I don't know anything about it, but mentions Crutchfield has it; I'm sure others do too. It's gonna just be a stick-on, though, so possible it could come off. Drilling and using the supplied antenna is permanent and pretty unobtrusive. You have to mount all the stuff in the back too, and it's pretty custom to these family of vehicles, so you're not really gonna be able to take it with you.

The "brains" of the sirius is mounted inside a panel behind the CD changer. You take the changer off, and install a few components back there.

It will work without the artist cable, but you will not be able to see artist/track on the display. If you want that, you have to use the artist cable, and you have to snake it from the rear CD changer area all the way up to behind the radio. A pain, but you do it once, do it right, and then you never have to worry about it.

Google for variations of the part numbers; you can get them for a bit cheaper than the MSRP listed on WJJeeps. I think the kit may have been cheaper in the past.

If you have any questions about the install, let me know.
    2011 WK2 Overland
    Before:
    2003 WJ Overland
    1994 ZJ Ltd
    1993 Explorer EB
    1988 XJ Ltd

Registered

I am going from memory, so hopefully someone will jump in if I am wrong.
    I ordered my parts on line, these guys seem to have pretty good prices: http://www.freedomlex.com/parts-catalog.htm
    I had the factory cd changer so ordered P/N 82206488AB. It comes with the antenna and satellite receiver box. I notice it is about $360 dollars now, but I only payed $160. That part is way to expensive now.

I ordered P/N 82207564 which is the multiplex splitter and some additional cables.

I also ordered P/N 82208322. This is the cable for the song artist information. I haven't installed it yet. You can do as I did and plug the existing cable that goes to the cd changer in and call it good for now. The artist cable will require you to run it from the head unit all the way back to the multiplex splitter box.

The antenna that comes with the mopar kit is the old fashion two wire, while most new antennas or a single wire. They do make an adapter to go from two to one if you want to try an aftermarket antenna. Be sure to look at the male/female tips to make sure it will all work.

Good luck
    Uintah
    Last edited by Uintah; 01-27-2009 at 12:27 AM.
    Cadillac XLR
    2002 Overland
    2000 Blazer ZR-2
    Samurai Rockcrawler
    1977 Vette

Registered

Icon922 XM radio using the OEM Jeep radios

There is a less expensive way to get satellite radio using stock Jeep radios. I got the idea from wjjeeps - use the satellite capable radios (must have a MODE button) and the Terk & Chrysler adapters. I had to update the AM/FM/CD RAZ 3 band radio to an '02-'04 unit and install the 22 pin adapter cable for starters. Next came the XM Direct Terk units. Everything plugged in to each other, no additional wiring, cutting, fabrication required. I did try the antenna in several places and decided I could make this work with the antenna under the defroster vent panel - this is huge since the Sirius antennas will not work inside the vehicle! I have XM installed in my wife's Dodge Stratus using the SkiFi unit and that antenna is installed on top of the dash. It looks ok but I really felt it could look better. Under the dash is the way to go!

Once I had everything buttoned back up I went to channel 0 and used the radio number to activate my XM radio. It takes approximately 20-30 minutes to complete the activation. The radio has to remain on the full time, too. Have a cold one or two and just hang out. Once the radio begins to show channels, you're done. Here's the rub - you must hit the seek button followed by the time button every time you switch the radio over to the XM unit. Occasionally, it will start up on the first try but I wouldn't count on it. I feel this is due to the '02 RBP radio I used. I have an '04 head unit coming and think this will resolve the issue. I believe it's tied to not quite enough voltage from the radio unit to the add-on Terk stuff.

Currently, I have $150 invested in the XM radio setup, not counting my subscription. It has been in constant use now for a year and a half without failure. The only rub being that I have to hit a couple of buttons to get audio to come out when I switch from AM/FM or CD. Sure I'd like an RB1 unit and one day I will go that route. Thankfully, my XM subscription will work when I go Sirius since they've merged into one company. However, everything you've read about the need for an extra box and cabling to add Sirius and the artist info to an RB1 unit is completely true. No other way to do it. And the RB1 is NOT XM compatible so my little trick won't work on that radio.

I'll add photos to this post later. Believe me, it's very cool to have such a clean XM install after using an XM Roady for a year prior to this install. I do not miss all the cables and crud! Very clean!

Cheers!
    2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo

It might be better to just go with an external XM radio. With the Sirius/XM merger, there will be new radios coming out that will support future services. Supposedly they are required to offer "a la carte" service, where you can pick channels, and only pay for them. The old radios won't support this.

The RB1 is great, though. Not as good as aftermarket, but really nice to have it all cleanly integrated.

Even though I installed the Sirius kit, I still added the PIE X-3 to my setup. This gives you up to 3 additional inputs to your radio. I was using one for HD radio, and another was just a headphone jack floating around for an iPod. I was going to run the 3rd input to the back seat if the ipod was in the back.

http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopexd.asp?id=94&bc=no

Dig around their site; they have other ways of hooking stuff up too.

So, one idea is to install the X3, get a cool XM radio, and install that on one of the inputs, and have others free for ipods and such. The X3 control is small and clean; I stuck it on the dash below the ignition. I was able to stick the "module" in the center behind where the cigarette lighters are. Pretty easy to setup; it just plugs in-line with the CD-Changer cable, and gets everything it needs from that bundle.

If you need any more info about it, let me know. I've done the Sirius, the X3, and all sorts of other audio and wiring changes to my Jeep. Check my .sig for a sample.
    2011 WK2 Overland
    Before:
    2003 WJ Overland
    1994 ZJ Ltd
    1993 Explorer EB
    1988 XJ Ltd