Thread: WJ 4.0 Stalling after jumping a dead battery...

Registered

Default WJ 4.0 Stalling after jumping a dead battery...

Been doing some searching and I'm hoping some with experience can help me out.

After sitting for a couple of months, I tried to start the WJ with no luck. It was the battery so I jumped it and got it running. It wouldn't hold idle but no codes where being thrown.

I took it for a nice long drive in hopes to get the battery charged up. I could start it but it still would not hold idle. Needless to say it was interesting going home when I hit the stop and go traffic part of my commute.

I know if the TPS is out of parameter, it will throw a code. I've read that the PCM has to "relearn" everything after a dead battery. The commute was 25 miles (one way) so I'm pretty sure it would have had to re-learn everything by then.

I've got no codes being thrown, what else could it be?

Thanks in advance!
    "Why did you do that to your Jeep?..." Team Leader at the local 5 Star Jeep Dealership.
    It's a Jeep thing, they wouldn't understand, not even at the Jeep dealership.

00 TJ Sport, Solar Yellow 3.5SF - 33" MTR - SYE sold
    01 WJ Laredo, Patriot Blue 2.5BB - 31" ATKO sold
    07 WK Laredo, Red Rocks 4.7 V-8!

they never like to idle when the battery dies idk why but bolth my zj and my wj were the same way after a short drive and sitting in park holding the rpms at 3k for about 5 mins usually took care of it if it still wont idle you should go ahead and replace the battery

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by homer8613 View Post
    they never like to idle when the battery dies idk why but bolth my zj and my wj were the same way after a short drive and sitting in park holding the rpms at 3k for about 5 mins usually took care of it if it still wont idle you should go ahead and replace the battery
    3k, wow, that's pretty high. I don't think I idled that high or hit the rpm during my commute. I'll give that a shot.

Thanks!
    "Why did you do that to your Jeep?..." Team Leader at the local 5 Star Jeep Dealership.
    It's a Jeep thing, they wouldn't understand, not even at the Jeep dealership.

00 TJ Sport, Solar Yellow 3.5SF - 33" MTR - SYE sold
    01 WJ Laredo, Patriot Blue 2.5BB - 31" ATKO sold
    07 WK Laredo, Red Rocks 4.7 V-8!

your alternator doesnt really put much charge to the battery till about 2k rpms at idle there really isnt much charging of the battery going on

if your truck is starting, the battery cant be that dead.

couple months... bad fuel? clogged injectors? blocked fuel filter?
    opinions are like a*edited*les. everyone has one.
    is this better? edited for crybabies.

Registered

If you drove it for a good 10-15minutes and it still will not idle then youve got some other issues.

May want to get that battery tested too.
    Current Jeep: Atlantic Blue 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
    -Transfer Case: NP242
    -OME/Rustys lift
    -Mopar skids+tow hooks
    -Powertrax No-slip Locker
    -245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S mounted on MOABS
    -Lots O other stuff
    L.O.S.T member 000482

Were you reving the engine when it first started? If so the engines computer just doesnt know the baseline needed for idle. x2 on taking your battery to have it tested. If it checks out you should put it on a trickle charger overnight to get a good deep charge. Then try starting the jeep without the assistance of the go pedal.
    2000 WJ 4.5L Stroker, Ford 9" rear axle, LA's, 35" Treps
    2006 XK 4.7L 2" RC Lift, 255/70/17 Destination AT's

Click-->Think you can beat me?

+1 on Fuel system troubles, clogged injectors or alternator/electrical issues. I'd clean the battery posts and cables too.
    Last edited by drshame; 01-25-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Registered

On our old 5.2 ZJ, after the battery went dead when an interior light remained on, took 4 days before it ran properly. Even the dealer stated that it may take 5 days before all the logic was interpreted.

Registered

Icon922

Make sure that the battery cables are securely attached to the battery. Loose connections can cause this. Also make sure the ground is tight as well.