Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front driveshaft conversion - who's done it?

Icon313 Front driveshaft conversion - who's done it?

OK so I have a 2000 with Quadratrac II and have the stupid ball-in-socket type front driveshaft. The boot has become torn on it and I was told that the boot is not replaceable (WTF? I haven't looked too close at it myself, but that's what my mechanic told me) I was told that a new OEM driveshaft can run $350+

I have seen the IRO u-joint style shaft conversion and was thinking about just doing that instead since one day I will have 3-4" of lift on the Jeep. How hard is the install? Has anyone on here done it? Thanks for the input!
    2000 Patriot Blue WJ Laredo V8 QTII

Registered

Icon313

My worth... Take it as you will...
    Go to a good salvage yard and pick up a low mileage 2004 factory front shaft... Good quality shaft for low $$$. I did the complete front shaft swap on the wifes 00' WJ for $270= $145 for T-case yoke/bolts, D30 yoke/pinion nut/u-joint straps/bolts & $125 for good used low mileage factory front shaft. Easy install & works like it should unlike rubber booted cv junk.

Search for shaft in your area http://car-part.com/

couple previous post links for you...

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=881724

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=883405

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=884057

Hope this helps,
    Scooter

I did mine - cobbled together with parts by a local driveline shop. Not as smooth as the CV style, but not unbearable.
    Tech Writeups and more...
    2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Sorry, old pics
    IRO 3" Springs | 3/4" KOR Sp | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos & Trackbar | Dual Stabs | Addco Rear SB & IRO Links | Clayton LA Front Half | IRO Adj Rear LCA & A-Arm | Spidertrax Spacers | Baer Decela Rotors w/EBC Green Pads | Akebono Calipers | 265/70R17 Goodyear Duratrac on JK 17's | K&N Drop in | Borla Cat-back | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg | Cobra CB & Wilson whip | OEM Tow Hooks F/R | 04 Lower Dash & Grille | Aftermarket Headlights | Deambered Tails | Husky Liners

I don't know how different this conversion is on a ZJ when compared to a WJ, but I did the U-joint conversion on my old ZJ... And let's just say I wouldn't use it as a daily driver. It's a much tougher setup for off roading, but freeway driving was obnoxious.

Did mine.
    First tried a rebuilt CV style, it wore out after about 20 or 30K.
    I then installed a direct replacement non Double Cardan style U-Joint. The vibrations were very bad. Pulled it out, and ran without a front shaft for 2 weeks or so. 2 different local shops said they could not get anything better than the CV Style.

Found a junkyard shaft from a 2004 (I think) and purchased yokes from the dealership.
    No vibes, been great.

Had to have a local shop swap the front yoke, but they did not charge much. Did the rest myself.
    $100 for the shaft, maybe $40 or so for the yokes.

Paul
    99 WJ LTD V8 QD, modified to Up Country, RB1/Sirius, Mopar rock rails.

Where are you guys finding the yokes for the front drive shaft? Dealers wants some $90 and I am cheap. No bone yards in my area with wj's.

All you need is a gear puller and a 1" deep seating socket and you are game for getting it off.
    1999 WJ, 4" lift, long arms, 242 Swap, 4.7l
    2002 WJ Overland
    1999 WJ 4.0l

Thanks for the input everybody...

Called the dealer to see if I could just replace the boot and they said no. Factory front shaft is $650!! :bugeyed:

I'll be looking into a junkyard shaft most likely
    2000 Patriot Blue WJ Laredo V8 QTII

Factory shaft from MOPARTS or what ever the mopar on line parts outlet is like $300
    But if a lift is on the way do the conversion check tom woods they are about $300 also for the new shaft
    Mark
    '99 GC Limited
    3" IRO
    265/75 16 Firestone Destination A/T
    Factory Skids and Front hooks
    Now that I have 250k+ how do I join the club???
    http://www.midwestjeepthing.com
    http://www.itsajeep.org

Did Mine. Love it. No vibes, no breaks, no problems. http://www.carolinadriveline.com/

6" lift, 33's, Aussie locked 30/35, front disco's, home brew rock rails, Surco rack, grille guard, front/rear hitch, t-max 12.5k lb winch, rock lights, Meangeen alt, TJ transfer skid, elec & Kilby OBA, CB, Split rear seats, APC seats, Custom hood/front bumper, truck horns, 55W b/u lights, half doors.

My Build thread -- GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-It's a green thing...

Proud owner of a trail tested Carolina Driveshaft. Used/Abused & still turning.

Quote Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
    Did Mine. Love it. No vibes, no breaks, no problems. http://www.carolinadriveline.com/

No vibrations? Mine hummed like a giant pissed off bee when I let off the throttle to decelerate in my ZJ...

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    No vibrations? Mine hummed like a giant pissed off bee when I let off the throttle to decelerate in my ZJ...
    Not even a hint. The first shaft they made me had a dbl at one end and not the other and when I hit 45 it had bad vibes. Them made this one and it perfect. Have had it up to 90 without problems. Its my daily driver too.
    6" lift, 33's, Aussie locked 30/35, front disco's, home brew rock rails, Surco rack, grille guard, front/rear hitch, t-max 12.5k lb winch, rock lights, Meangeen alt, TJ transfer skid, elec & Kilby OBA, CB, Split rear seats, APC seats, Custom hood/front bumper, truck horns, 55W b/u lights, half doors.

Hey gcjeeping,

What did the custom shaft run you? I'm wanting to lift mine and want to put all the right parts in at the start rather than go under everytime something else fails.

mgfan58

Quote Originally Posted by mgfan58 View Post
    Hey gcjeeping,

What did the custom shaft run you? I'm wanting to lift mine and want to put all the right parts in at the start rather than go under everytime something else fails.

mgfan58
    Got it about 4 years or so ago. It was the first DBL/DBL they made for a lifted GC. It was around 285 (that included shafts and them putting it on). I've talked to them since then and they have made a lot of shafts for lifted GC now. My stock shaft lasted less than a year after the 6" lift.

Dave

Got it about 4 years or so ago. It was the first DBL/DBL they made for a lifted GC. It was around 285 (that included shafts and them putting it on). I've talked to them since then and they have made a lot of shafts for lifted GC now. My stock shaft lasted less than a year after the 6" lift.

Dave
    Thanks for the imformation. I'll give them a call tomorrow as soon as I finish replacing my axles.

mgfan58

Registered

Do you get any vibes with the multiple carden, because I received mine a week ago from carolina driveline and had it balanced and once installed I get vibes.

Registered

Im starting to think it could be the angle coming out of the transfer case because when looking at it it kind of goes up then comes down towards the diff.

If that is the problem dont know how to fix it unless lowering the suspension 2" and I already have transfer case spacer.

I'm so glad I got the Select-trac Have you checked ebay for a used shaft?
    Last edited by (OllllO); 02-23-2009 at 06:17 PM.

MRGC:

I had no vibes at all. I've had it up to 90 or so with no vibes.

Did you get a dbl/dbl or a single/dbl?

MRGC:

What did you have to do to get the TJ skid to fit? Any pics?

Registered

MRGC:

Dbl/dbl mine vibrates at 70km which is about 50mph, what I did was drop the transfer case a further 1/2" and it did help now I can go upto about 90kmh.

Dont know weather to go back to the original shaft or drop the transfer case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast