Thread: 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Head Gasket Failure - Common Problem?

Default 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Head Gasket Failure - Common Problem?

Hello everyone my original gasket fail surprisingly only at 230k miles. The engine is a 5.2l. Just wondering why it happen on a very well maintained jeep? What are these gaskets made off and are they susceptible to deterioration over engines with metal head gaskets? Any input from members would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    George

i think you got your $'s worth after 230,000 miles on the motor.....
    slate 5.9 Limited, 8" long arm, 285's, 8.8-Artec truss, 231/SYE w/Novak, straight piped, Durango 160A alt, Optima Red, ZG markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, Vortech supercharger & 5 speed swap awaiting to be installed

Stone white 5.9 on 30" AT's, 231, glass ECE's w/custom harness, clear corners, tinted, u jointed shafts

Registered

No it's not as common as foreign cars. Did you maintain the coolant properly? Sometimes you can do everything right and your still gonna have head gaskets blow. Sorry to hear about your engine!
    88' Cherokee 4.0 267,000 miles (rod through block)

5.9L's x 3:
    One Blown (and blew up)-Slate
    One Stock. (sold)-White
    One NA Animal. (sold)-White

00' GC 4.7L chipped, exhaust, intake

04' Prius Hybrid 128,000 51.1mpg (dd)

89' Porsche 944S2 39,000miles(project car)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    i think you got your $'s worth after 230,000 miles on the motor.....
    Haha well thankfully the motor is fine it just the gasket. No oil consumption and still has great oil pressure and power.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozencrath View Post
    No it's not as common as foreign cars. Did you maintain the coolant properly? Sometimes you can do everything right and your still gonna have head gaskets blow. Sorry to hear about your engine!
    Yes the coolant was maintained with the Mopar coolant and distilled water was used after 170k miles as well. I also use original c+ transmission oil and the transmission has not been rebuilt. The rest of the drivetrain I use synthetic oil. What a bummer! I wounder who else has my miles or more on the original gasket or if they have had to replace it? Also is the a better gasket then the Mopar performance type? That was the only other one on Sumitracing.com
    Thanks

Registered

What engine does it have? I have 206000 on my 4.0 96, and the head gasket is doing just fine.
    96 Grand Cherokee, 4.0 4x4 280000 miles daily driver. Looks, runs and drives like a brand new one. Take that Honda and Toyota
    79 L-82 4 spd Corvette. Matching numbers, built 350. Black w/ red interior show car
    70 Chevy C-10, shortbed stepside. Built 6cyl, 3spd, parts chaser. Primer and rust ugly Sanford and Son special.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by viperpilot99 View Post
    Yes the coolant was maintained with the Mopar coolant and distilled water was used after 170k miles as well. I also use original c+ transmission oil and the transmission has not been rebuilt. The rest of the drivetrain I use synthetic oil. What a bummer! I wounder who else has my miles or more on the original gasket or if they have had to replace it? Also is the a better gasket then the Mopar performance type? That was the only other one on Sumitracing.com
    Thanks
    I had an XJ 4.0 with 267,000 miles. That engine blew because I did not maintain it. I wanted the damn thing to blow up! It took 20,000 miles of rusty coolant, and barely any oil before it threw a rod through the block.

I also had a 94' 4.0 with 237,000 miles that was sound. Sold it 2 years ago and I still see the new owner driving around in it occassionally.
    88' Cherokee 4.0 267,000 miles (rod through block)

5.9L's x 3:
    One Blown (and blew up)-Slate
    One Stock. (sold)-White
    One NA Animal. (sold)-White

00' GC 4.7L chipped, exhaust, intake

04' Prius Hybrid 128,000 51.1mpg (dd)

89' Porsche 944S2 39,000miles(project car)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
    What engine does it have? I have 206000 on my 4.0 96, and the head gasket is doing just fine.
    It has a 5.2l engine.
    1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2l Limited - 258k Miles - Original Bottom End & Original Transmission - My Best Friend