Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Quadra-Trac II: No 4WD High

  1. #1

    Icon313 Quadra-Trac II: No 4WD High

    Just bought a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited. After the 1st winter storm this past Friday, I discovered on my way home from work that I only had 2 wheel drive, the Quadra-Trac II was not driving the front wheels. :ahhh: I tried 4LO and it worked just fine, but no 4WD High.

    The vehicle seems to have been well maintained and is very clean with less than 80k. Any ideas on what the problem is?

    thanks in advance :torched:for your reply,

    Melzer

  2. #2
    4 Litres of Fury trail rated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    3,681

    Default

    Try changing the T-case fluid, there is a ling in my sig. The 247 case doesn't engage good with dirty fluid. Most people will agree that you have to change the fluid every 30K miles. IF the clutches are fried (which they shouldn't be since the 247 is a strong case), you can swap in a 242 (selec-trac).
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Great Falls, Va
    Posts
    8,403

    Default

    Apparently it wasn't well maintaned, change the TC fluid (crazy easy) using the required dealer fluid, drive in some figure 8's, or about 10 miles for everything to get into place and then try it

  4. #4
    Registered
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Stockton,NJ
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melzer51 View Post
    Just bought a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited. After the 1st winter storm this past Friday, I discovered on my way home from work that I only had 2 wheel drive, the Quadra-Trac II was not driving the front wheels. :ahhh: I tried 4LO and it worked just fine, but no 4WD High.

    The vehicle seems to have been well maintained and is very clean with less than 80k. Any ideas on what the problem is?

    thanks in advance :torched:for your reply,

    Melzer

    You do realize that the 247 only provides power to the front when the rear wheels slip. They aren't locked in front and rear like 4W lo.
    Upon acceleration you'll feel the rear get a little squirrely and then when the fronts grab it’ll go. If only in 2 WD all the time it certainly would be a fun trip in the snow with the lack of traction.

  5. #5
    Registered Atl XJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,612

    Default

    It also doesn't work as well until the engine is warmed up if its really, really cold out.

  6. #6
    Registered tsconver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    2,498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atl XJ View Post
    It also doesn't work as well until the engine is warmed up if its really, really cold out.
    has nothing to do with engine temperature. If you let the engine warm up for an hour and then go out and drive it the TC is still ambient temperature and if cold will not engage smoothly. Can take quite a few miles on a really cold day to get the transfer case and diffs warmed up.
    Speak softly and carry a big stick.

    We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

    My Build Thread



    2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
    A few Speed parts, fun to ride
    http://www.zrxoa.org/

    2006 Red Liberty
    Wife's ride, pretty stock

    http://www.cnc4x4.org/

    http://www.treadlightly.org/

  7. #7
    Registered Atl XJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsconver View Post
    has nothing to do with engine temperature. If you let the engine warm up for an hour and then go out and drive it the TC is still ambient temperature and if cold will not engage smoothly. Can take quite a few miles on a really cold day to get the transfer case and diffs warmed up.
    I realize this and wasn't trying to imply that. Sorry if I was unclear.

    IDK why I typed engine. :dunce:

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Birch Run, MI
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsconver View Post
    has nothing to do with engine temperature. If you let the engine warm up for an hour and then go out and drive it the TC is still ambient temperature and if cold will not engage smoothly. Can take quite a few miles on a really cold day to get the transfer case and diffs warmed up.
    Correct. During winter months, I always let the jeep warm up at least a bit, but I can hit it on some snow right away and just spin the rear tire(s). It takes about a mile or so of city driving before my TC will engage normally. When its still cold, it will still engage the front tires, but take a few seconds sometimes.
    R.I.P. Michele (my mother) 6/6/63-10/13/08 You were loved and will be missed dearly!
    '04 4.7, K&N FIPK, V-force muffler, Bridgestone Revo's, Fully loaded.

    Have a lift or tire question? Check this out--- http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ght=lift+chart

  9. #9

    Smile Problem Resolved......

    I brought the Jeep to a transmission shop today, courtesy of the dealer I purchased it from. It turned out that the transfer case was almost dry. The transmission shop filled the case with fresh fluid and made me aware of the leak, and said to drive it for a week or so to make sure there was no damage to the TC. He then asked me to come back to have the TC sealed to correct the leak. It's working just fine now.

    Thanks for all who replied, :happpyd:

    Melzer

  10. #10

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbonut View Post
    You do realize that the 247 only provides power to the front when the rear wheels slip. They aren't locked in front and rear like 4W lo.
    Upon acceleration you'll feel the rear get a little squirrely and then when the fronts grab it’ll go. If only in 2 WD all the time it certainly would be a fun trip in the snow with the lack of traction.
    I know 1st hand what the trip is like in 2WD, the last storm was very trying on the nerves. It was only 22 miles of highway from work to home, but visibility and conditions were really terrible, not to mention the fishtail of the Jeep in 2WD and the week-day commute of warriors that don't have a clue with driving courtesy.

    thanks,

    melzer

  11. #11

    Smile Thanks to all.....Happy Holidays

    By the way.....I am new to this forum and really appreciate all the helpful feedback. I'm a car guy who is new to the 4WD arena. The last time I can recall, I owned a CJ and that was 1978....oops, guess I'm dating myself now.

    To all.....Happy Holidays

    thank you,

    melzer

  12. #12
    Registered Atl XJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,612

    Default

    Lol, I was born in 1978.

  13. #13

    Exclamation

    what fluid did they use? NO ATF!!!

    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...13#post8647813

    Quote Originally Posted by melzer51 View Post
    I brought the Jeep to a transmission shop today, courtesy of the dealer I purchased it from. It turned out that the transfer case was almost dry. The transmission shop filled the case with fresh fluid and made me aware of the leak, and said to drive it for a week or so to make sure there was no damage to the TC. He then asked me to come back to have the TC sealed to correct the leak. It's working just fine now.

    Thanks for all who replied, :happpyd:

    Melzer
    99 WJ LIMITED 4.7 230K+ miles.....
    TERAFLEX 4" coils, IROR LA, OTK steering, 4.10-F&R
    265/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grapler AT
    mopar tow hooks, air intake, 247<242WJ swap, front bumper mod with trail lights installed, and heater treater...


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFKGrmsBDk

  14. #14

    Smile 1978....hmmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by Atl XJ View Post
    Lol, I was born in 1978.
    Be happy young man....:happpyd:in 1978 I was a ripe old 27....hmmmm that makes me - oh well....forget about it. I should have known better to check the fluid in the TC case.

    Have a great holiday,

    melzer

  15. #15

    Icon313 fluid in TC case??

    Quote Originally Posted by buttnakedjeepin View Post
    I didn't ask, but I know this guy has been doing trans work for 33 years, so I can only hope he knows. What is the recommended fluid?

    thanks,

    melzer

  16. #16
    Registered Billy Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The middle of a nature preserve
    Posts
    7,656

    Default

    Your QT II transfer case requires a Dealer only lubricant made by Mopar

    Mopar NV245/247/249 Transfer Case Fluid

    Please note that this fluid cannot be made by adding a super secret mouse milk additive to the recycled waste Red Chinese tractor fluid that is generally used in these shops
    -br

    Helping one another is why we are all here on Jeeps-Unlimited, or should be.
    http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/Billy_Ray_2006/

  17. #17

    Icon313 QT II TC case fluid: Mopar or else??

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ray View Post
    Your QT II transfer case requires a Dealer only lubricant made by Mopar

    Mopar NV245/247/249 Transfer Case Fluid

    Please note that this fluid cannot be made by adding a super secret mouse milk additive to the recycled waste Red Chinese tractor fluid that is generally used in these shops
    Is is absolutely necessary to use the Mopar fluid? The reason I ask this is because it was just filled by a transmission shop and I don't know what he used. Will it destroy the TC case if a non-Mopar fluid is used?

    thanks,

    melzer

  18. #18
    4 Litres of Fury trail rated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    3,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melzer51 View Post
    Is is absolutely necessary to use the Mopar fluid? The reason I ask this is because it was just filled by a transmission shop and I don't know what he used. Will it destroy the TC case if a non-Mopar fluid is used?

    thanks,

    melzer
    You will hear a grinding noise when turning. And yes, it will destroy the case if you use the wrong fluid.
    THE ONLY FLUID YOU CAN USE IN THE 247 IS THE MOPAR FLUID!!!

    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

  19. #19

    Default mopar fluid....

    thanks for the heads up. I will be calling the trans shop to verify the fluid.

    thanks again,

    melzer

  20. #20
    4 Litres of Fury trail rated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    3,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melzer51 View Post
    thanks for the heads up. I will be calling the trans shop to verify the fluid.

    thanks again,

    melzer
    The trans shop can lie to you, one said they put atf+4 in my tranny when they put in dex! It's easy to remove the fill plug and check to make sure the fluid is amber.
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Jeep Parts | Jeep Accessories | Trektop NX | Jeep Seat Covers | Jeep Wrangler | Jeep Wrangler Parts | Jeep Wrangler Accessories | Bestop | Jeep Tires | Jeep Stuff | Jeep Wrangler Tires | Jeep Wheels