Thread: 3.7L v6 commander??

Default 3.7L v6 commander??

How are they?? How much can they pull??

J.

Don't buy one. They get the exact same gas mileage as the 4.7l V8 and they're extremely under powered in the Commander Plus, the 4.7l is a much smoother engine. They're rated to pull 3500 lbs, but its gotta be struggling on the hwy or on any hills.

Thanks for ur input. How about on the trails??

J.
    used to be WyoDCWJ

I don't have any personal experience offroading them. You can't get the 3.7l with a locking transfercase though so I can't imagine them being that great.

I have a Commander with the 3.7L, 4x4, QT1. My mileage averages at 18mpg combined city/hwy, on trips where it is mostly highway driving I get between 21-23 mpg depending on road conditions/weather.

Most Commanders with the 3.7L's that are 4x4 have QT1, although QT2 was available for them in the 06 model and I believe in the 07 model (may be wrong on the 07). When I was looking for a Commander in early 2007 I found some 06's with QT2. The difference between QT1 and QT2 is that QT1 is 4High only (no 4Low), and QT2 has both 4High and 4Low. The 4.7L model comes with QT2.

The 3.7L model has a towing capacity of 3500 lbs. whereas the 4.7L model has a towing capacity of 6500 lbs. (as I recall). So if towing is a concern, the 4.7L model would be better.

For better info on the Commander you might want to check out www.jeepcommander.com

Registered

I have the V6 in my wife's commander, and it is ok. But my 4.7 in my WK really hauls! I highly and strongly recommend the 4.7.
    2009 Black Rubicon 4 door, Rugged Ridge Front Stubby Bumper, Ramsey 8,000 lb. winch, Cobra CB, 5' Firestick Antenna, Husky Floor Liners, Daystar Dash Organizer, Seat Glover Covers.

07 XK 3.7 V6, QT1, Red Rock

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Atl XJ View Post
    Don't buy one. They get the exact same gas mileage as the 4.7l V8 and they're extremely under powered in the Commander Plus, the 4.7l is a much smoother engine. They're rated to pull 3500 lbs, but its gotta be struggling on the hwy or on any hills.

That MPG statement is a bit off. The 3.7 V6 Commanders/G Cherokees are perhaps the only engine model that comes close to the window sticker. I had one (commander 3.7 qt1 etc). My parents have owned 4.7 and now the 5.7 overland G. Cherokees, both of which turned out to be no where close to the sticker. When the parents bought the hemi 5.7, they thought it might get better hwy than the 4.7 because of the multi-displacement - didn't work out as Chrysler claimed it would. Just my 2 cents.

-Jared
    -2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon: Cage lift, 5100 Bilsteins, Warn Bumpers front/rear, 305/70/17 Goodyear MT/Rs, 17x9 American Racing Chamber Wheels.

Registered

My 09 3.7L V6 gets between 20 and 21 mpg on the highway and I am getting 17.9 2/3 city and 1/3 highway. If you are not going to tow anything, it seems like a good alternative to the 4.7 since the acceleration of the 3.7 seems to be more than adequate for a daily driver.

Registered

Update: We just took a trip from Houston to San Antonio, driving through the hill country, and my Commander clicked off 22.5 mpg average on the highway. I am not at all disappointed in the highway mileage, because it is actually better than I thought it would be.

Just finished a trip to central Wisconsin and back (from central Texas) with my 3.7L Commander. 1300 miles each way. Going up I averaged 23-24 mpg. Coming back I was hauling a 12'x6' U-Haul trailer that was loaded with about a 1000 lbs of stuff. Total weight was around 3000 lbs. My gas mileage went down to about 14 mpg, but I could easily hold speeds of 65 mph and had good acceleration to my suprise. The 4.7L would have handled the load better, but the 3.7L did well. This is the heaviest trailer load that I have pulled with my Commander over a long distance. The heaviest load I pulled was my 86 CJ-7, but that was only 10 miles.

John
    1986 CJ-7, 2006 Jeep Commander, 1956 CJ-6 (rebuild project)

Registered

Talking

I just made the drive from Houston to Saint Louis, MO, and I was rewarded with 23.1 mpg on the trip up - running A/C the entire way and running between 70 - 75 mph the entire time (except for 3 hours of 55mph due to rain and slowed traffic). I am very pleased with the 3.7L since it is basically giving me 450 usable miles on a tank on the highway - not at all bad for a vehicle its size.

I too regularly get around 16-17MPG city, 23MPG highway with my 3.7L Grand Cherokee.

I've driven both V8 versions of the WK GC. It just can't match the mileage of mine, I'm sorry.

Default Commander 3.7 Fuel Economy

Ihave a 06 with a low range transfer case. Many people including dealers believe these were not available but they were. It comes with 3.53 gears instead of the 3.07 gears the non low range models came with. I drive very easily but only get 17mpgs year round average. The best I get in the summer in perfect conditions (A/C off) is 19.5 mpgs. I have thought about re-gearing to 3.07's but am concerned of electrical nighmares as engine speed doesn't match the expected wheel speeds anymore.

Registered

Mmmmmm? I don't know why I never see the Diesel mentioned did you guys ever get it. My Australian XH Commander has the Benz 6 Cyl 3.0 Litre Turbo Diesel. 9.6 litres per 100 KM or about 10.6 litres per 100 KM around town.
    "There's only one original Jeep"
    last Dinosaur that's NOT extinct.