Thread: 2004 Jeep lower window trim moulding install help

Default 2004 Jeep lower window trim moulding install help

I have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee, and I have the common rust found on the lower window trim pieces on the doors

Do these use clips to clip in and out easily, or do the door panels have to be removed to take the trim on/off?

any help would be great, as I will be attempting to do it, and was wondering it I need to schedule aside extra time

Thank you!

-Mark

i take it your talking about the outside or the doors at the base of the window, the rubber looknig piece right?...if your you should be to just pull off straight up...there is some metal in there that is like U shape that sits on the edge and you can pinch it closer together to adjust the tightness of it..that is where your rust is comming from more than likely.
    99 WJ LIMITED 4.7 230K+ miles.....
    TERAFLEX 4" coils, IROR LA, OTK steering, 4.10-F&R
    265/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grapler AT
    mopar tow hooks, air intake, 247<242WJ swap, front bumper mod with trail lights installed, and heater treater...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFKGrmsBDk

manual says remove door panels but you dont have to. use a small pc of wood and gently hammer the end till it starts coming up. then pull it up and off with your hands. install they just click back into place. open your windows before starting
    99 grand cherokee...mine...gone... now its a 2011 toyota tacoma sport... double cab longbed 4.0 and the are cap to match... im loving it !

98 grand cherokee...wifes
    nothing special just jeeps.....

"GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "

automation is the future of manufacturing in the USA... if youre a box packer youre screwed. get educated now

my jeeps gone. two engines were just too much to handle. now i got me a toyota lets see how long that lasts

Where did you find replacements? I noticed that I have the same issue on my GC as well.

2004 GC Limited 4.7 V8 Quadra Drive

the stealership sells them for like $35 a piece but wants major cash for the install

Four y/o and it's rusting?? Man, I'd be PO'd...
    My 10 y/o XJ doesn't have a spot of rust on it aroud the windows or anywhere.

My 04 has the same trim rusting issue. I am just having a tough time ponying up $35 per strip when there is nothing really to it! They know it is an issue, know that they need replaced, and know they are the only place to get them so they jack up the prices!

My 04' Freedom Edition turned 5 years old yesterday. WTF rust are you talking about that's "common" on them? Not a trace on mine. :neil:

my 04 has the same problem, but i too have a problem paying 35 bucks for that strip of rubber

I had the same rust problem. I paid almost $50 per window. I bought replacement strips from the stealer and swapped them myself. It was really easy, but costly.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom04 View Post
    My 04' Freedom Edition turned 5 years old yesterday. WTF rust are you talking about that's "common" on them? Not a trace on mine. :neil:
    is your WJ white? if it is its only a matter of time...lol...
    mopar tow hooks, air intake, 247<242WJ swap, front bumper mod with trail lights installed, and heater treater...

Wow - its good to hear other '04 GC owners are having the rusting issue -lol! because I am too!

Just bought my '04 GC knowing the window trim was bubblind due to rust (I peeled it up enough to discover it was the trim piece rusting, not the door).

From what I've read its an easy fix. I'm going to a salvage yard tomorrow to see if I cant find a nice set of 4. Thanks for posting tips on how to remove the pieces.

One quick question: All the windows should be down, right? How about the back windows - they don't go down all the way. Is this a problem?

One more: Does the side-mirrors on the front doors get in the way of installing? Can the mirrors stay on and the trim just slips underneath?

Let me know - thanks in advance.

just grab ahold of it and pull it towards the back of the jeep. You'll feel it move, then lift it up and off. Mirrors stay on. I always put a nice coat of wax on it while they are off.

2004 WJ - IRO HD Steering Stabilizer - IRO Dual Steering Stabilizer Kit - Addco Rear Sway Bar - 4" IRO Coils - KOR 3/4" Spacers - IRO 4" Extended Bumpstops - IRO Coil Spring Retainers - JKS Bar Pin Eliminators - IRO A-Arm Spacer - IRO Adjustable Control Arms - DT8000s - KOR Shock Mount Kit - Stillen Cross Drilled Rotors - Metal Matrix Pads - D30 Detroit TrueTrac - 4.10s - Carolina Double Double Cardan DS & rear DS - 5% Tint - Debadged - Hunter Brushguard w/ 2 Hella 500s - OEM Cross Rail with 4 Hella 500s - Cragar Soft 8s - 33/11.5/16 MTZs - 242HD swap /w SYE - Rear IRO D44 ultimate kit

Quote Originally Posted by buttnakedjeepin View Post
    is your WJ white? if it is its only a matter of time...lol...
    Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat.

Icon313

:dmb: i just seen the avatar and thought yours was white...

Does anyone have part numbers? I "may" have found a place online to order all four, but I would like to have part numbers to reference from.
    Thanks!

2004 GC Limited 4.7 V8 Quadra Drive

Registered

best color IMO
    R.I.P. Michele (my mother) 6/6/63-10/13/08 You were loved and will be missed dearly!
    '04 4.7, K&N FIPK, V-force muffler, Bridgestone Revo's, Fully loaded.

Have a lift or tire question? Check this out--- http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ght=lift+chart

Registered

It's quit easy to do. They have to be pushed up from the outside door. It is easier if the windows are opened all the way. Use a smooth block of wood and a hammer and start tapping it in the upward direction, once it starts coming up u can even use a set of vis grips ( or pliers ) to pull it up. When you have it off clean the area and wax it before installing the new one. The new one installs real easy, just align it properly and start tapping it down until it is all in place. There is NO NEED to remove any door panels. You get these parts at a dealer they are not overly expensive. I did mine a few years ago and still look great. This topic has been posted before. do a search, maybe you'll find more info.