Hammer
    Wrench
    Duplicolor Truck Bed Liner
    Newspaper
    Painter's Tape
    Duct Tape
    Ultra-Set Advanced
    Putty Knife

Jack the vehicle up on whichever side you're going to do first, remove the wheel. Remove the plastic inner fender. Unscrew the sensor that sits on the engine side of the pinch weld (if you have one there) and tuck it into the hole next to it to prevent any damage to it.

The Pinch Weld and Sensor next to it.

Use the black Sharpie and mark every inch or so along the pinch weld as guides for cutting. You can see in the picture how far down, and how far up I went.

Once you have your marks, use the saw zall and cut the marks (this makes bending the pinch weld easier). In the picture it might be hard to see the cuts on the black marks, but they are there.

After you've cut all the marks, we used a wrench to fold over the little individual pieces to make hammering them down easier.

After you bend them over with the wrench use the hammer to make them as flush to the metal as possible. We didn't have a sledgehammer available, so we used a standard sized 'house' hammer.

This step I don't have any pictures for because it's a pretty simple step. Tape off everything you don't want coated with the truck bed liner, which includes the paint, and the hubs/brakes. Spray a coat of the Duplicolor truck bed liner over the bent pinch weld and the area around it. You can follow the directions on drying time on the can. I did three heavy coats.

While that was drying we marked the plastic liner with the black Sharpie a guideline to follow with the saw zall. I didn't take a picture of this step, as you can decide where and how much you want to cut off your own liner.

Screw the sensor back on (if you have one).

After the plastic liner has been cut to your desired area you can put it back on the vehicle, but make sure your bed liner area is dry, you don't want to rub any of that coating off the exposed and cut metal.

With the plastic liner installed, we came across the problem of part of the liner still sticking up and causing rubbing at full lock. Our solution was to drill a small pilot hole through and behind the plastic liner, and then screw down the liner to the metal behind it, so it would sit flush against the body. You might be able to see the screw in the pictures below.

Every one has dealt with the plastic liner differently it seems. It didn't look bad cut, but we decided to patch it up. We used Ultra-Set Advanced (you can get this at Home Depot for about 22 dollars a tube) and a putty knife. The membrane dries hard, but still somewhat flexible to prevent it from cracking or breaking if something hits it, and it's also waterproof.

First, you'll need to put some duct tape down to cover the pinch weld, this is also what the Ultra-Set will adhere to in order to make an even surface over the pinch weld.

Next, you take the putty knife and smooth (as best as you can) the membrane over the taped area and a little past the tape.

Yes, it's white. You need to let the Ultra-Set dry. I let it dry over night, and the next day I used the Duplicolor truck bed liner and sprayed over the Ultra-Set and the area around it.

Because it's so hard to see...or not see...the end result in the picture without the flash, I also took one with the flash. The bed liner is still wet so it looks like you can see the Ultra-Set beneath it, but you can't, it's just the wet paint reflecting from the flash of the camera.

With the usual road dirt and grime on the liner and patched area you can barely tell anything was done to it. I'll have to try to get a better daylight picture to post.

Hope this helps anyone who might be thinking about bending over their pinch welds, or at least gives them new ideas!
    05 Limited 4.7 Fully Loaded
    **SOLD**
    OME HD Lift, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, 17x8 Black Ultra Goliath Wheels, 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers, 5k HID Lows, Hoen Endurance Fogs, Hella 500FF, aFe Stage 2 Pro Dry Intake, Superchips Programmer, Line-X'd Grill, BDS End Links, LED tails

Driving now: 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
    (yes modded, but figured no one would be interested!)

Nice write up. :thumbsup:
    2005 WK
    -R.I.P

2007 WK
    -4" Superlift w/SSR
    -Bilstein HD Front Struts
    -BFG MT KM2's 285/70-17
    -AR Crush Wheels Black
    -4xGuard Front Skid I
    -4xGuard Belly Guard HC
    -4xGuard Sliders
    -4xGuard Rear Skid HC
    -AFE CAI
    -Hardwired V1
    -Thule Rack

2011 WK2

WOW
    2005 WK Ltd 5.7L

AEM BRUTE FORCE

Thanks Durango!

Hope that helps some Ryan!
    **SOLD**
    OME HD Lift, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, 17x8 Black Ultra Goliath Wheels, 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 1.5" Spidertrax Spacers, 5k HID Lows, Hoen Endurance Fogs, Hella 500FF, aFe Stage 2 Pro Dry Intake, Superchips Programmer, Line-X'd Grill, BDS End Links, LED tails

i know what im doing this weekend.
    2005 WK Ltd 5.7L

AEM BRUTE FORCE

:thumbsup:

Let me know if you have any questions.
    **SOLD**

Nice clean job girl!
    I wonder if we can get the moderator to create a "sticky" directory and put all the mods in there under seperate, sub-folders. It would save all the searches and tying up the web server and database.
    i.e.
    - Pinch weld mod
    - Bolt mod
    - RR lift install
    - RK lift install
    - Headlights
    - Shocks
    - Cold Air Intakes
    2005 Deep Beryl Green WK, 4.7L/QT2, AFE Stage-II w/Pre-filter, Tow Pkg, 265/70-17 BFG AT KO, Cobra 38WX/36" Wilson Ant, JVC SAT/USB Audio, 50k miles
    1998 Spruce Green Cherokee Sport 2-Dr, 4.0L Auto, 265/70-15 studded General AT2s, Rock Rails, skids - SOLD

Thanks! I think it would be a good idea to have a 'How To' section as well.
    **SOLD**

Yeah I agree, many people such as you have put a lot of effort into photos and how-to's that could be organized in an easily referenced "sticky" or thread rather than in our various threads. IDK who admins the forum?
    2005 Deep Beryl Green WK, 4.7L/QT2, AFE Stage-II w/Pre-filter, Tow Pkg, 265/70-17 BFG AT KO, Cobra 38WX/36" Wilson Ant, JVC SAT/USB Audio, 50k miles
    1998 Spruce Green Cherokee Sport 2-Dr, 4.0L Auto, 265/70-15 studded General AT2s, Rock Rails, skids - SOLD

Very nice job!
    WK Sold! Spare tire with 95% thread for sale. Also have one quick disco made to work with SL.

Very nice! :thumbsup:
    -Frankie-

I'll add my Superlift install to it too if it happens to be made a sticky

Here's some daylight pictures:

**SOLD**

very nice write up.
    95 zj 5.2 46rh 96K Sold
    05 WK 5.7 Hemi 18K 245-70-17 Destination AT's, 4xguard (front, rear, belly, rails)HC skids, Front tow hooks, rear shackel, OME HD, Mopar Gas and TC skids, In need of larger tires

I agree, very good write-up and pics. Thanks for taking the time to post!

I just wanted to add an additional way for dealing with the plastic fender liner. I used a heat gun to get the plastic soft, then molded the plastic to the bent over pinch weld. I then used a screw to, like you did, to make sure the plastic was held as close as possible to the pinch weld. Then sprayed it with the same bed liner to add texture and fill in the wrinkles from the molding.

Just another alternative if you don't feel good about cutting. The heat gun cost me like $30, a hair dryer might work too, but I didn't have one.
    3" EVO Coils, Fox 2.0 Shocks, RK Arms, 4.56 Yukon Gears, Coast F&R DS, Bushwacker Flats, Trek Armor Seat Covers, TF HD Hinge, PS Armor

Great write up
    Matt

'11 WRX
    '06 WK 32" BFG KM1's|17" Moab Wheels|2" Rough Country lift|1/4" wheel spacers|Bilstein HD Rear Shocks|Rola Rack|AMSOIL air filter|Powerwire|Gibson muffler|FRP Throttle Body| SOLD
    '92 YJ 4 squirrels on 32's
    '72 Dodge Dart 318, 26k miles

Registered

thanx for the write up.. bookmarked till i put my lift on!
    by the way, i get the idea of molding part, but do i have to spray? for...?
    Last edited by MIQ228; 01-26-2009 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIQ228 View Post
    thanx for the write up.. bookmarked till i put my lift on!
    by the way, i get the idea of molding part, but do i have to spray? for...?
    You're welcome!

The spray is a truck bed liner, it prevents any rust from forming over the cut and bent pinch weld. So yes, I would highly recommend it.
    **SOLD**

Registered

Right on!! Excellent job!!
    2007 Grand Cherokee Diesel CRD Limited, RR Lift, Bilsteins, 255/75/17 BFG Muds, 17" Hulk, HID's

www.bajahid.com (now live!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast