Thread: Thermostat housing leak

Registered

Default Thermostat housing leak

99WJ 4.7
    I have noticed coolant leak from under thermostst housing. Is it enough to replace thermostst gasket, or the housing might have a problem?

Thanks
    99 JGCLtd

its hard to say without seeing it

but i would try the gasket first, they are cheap, if that doesnt work then you know your answer
    86' Cherokee.. 2.8L..3" lift, 256,000 miles original trans motor rears tc...~Electric fan...
    ~Custom Switch panel on glovebox..~Custom overhead console..~Rear auxilary lights..

94' Grand Cherokee (DD)5.2L V8~242~Preformance ECU~Custom TurboCity Dual Intake W/ K&N Filters
    ~ML Headers~Custom Made Dynomax 3" Header-Back Exhaust
    ~3.5" RE~32's~5.9 E-Fan~UberRare Red 5.9hood :happpyd:
    ~RE adj. front trac bar~Rear Tire Carier~Remote Start~MX6 Shocks
    Soundclip of my Exhaust (right click and save as)

My Webpage(in the making...still....)

Replace the gasket first since it's so cheap. Also, put a new thermostat in while you have the old one out.
    |2001 WJ|4,0L|42RE|NV 242|380000 km|ECE Compliant|
    Внедорожник для Экспедиций и Приключений

Registered

Thermostat has an O-ring gasket attached to it. The plastic housing has an indent where the gasket mounts. The engine side is just machined flat. I just replaced mine because of a slow leak, paid around $40 for the mopar thermostat with gasket. Not sure if you can just get the gasket alone. It is not the type of gasket that most people think of when talking about thermostat gaskets. Easy job, just don't crank down too much on the bolts when installing. Gary

Quote Originally Posted by biglurp View Post
    Thermostat has an O-ring gasket attached to it. The plastic housing has an indent where the gasket mounts. The engine side is just machined flat. I just replaced mine because of a slow leak, paid around $40 for the mopar thermostat with gasket. Not sure if you can just get the gasket alone. It is not the type of gasket that most people think of when talking about thermostat gaskets. Easy job, just don't crank down too much on the bolts when installing. Gary

X2 get mopar replacement T-stat, and the gasket is built onto the t-stat its self...pull it off and make sure your housing isn't cracked..
    99 WJ LIMITED 4.7 230K+ miles.....
    TERAFLEX 4" coils, IROR LA, OTK steering, 4.10-F&R
    265/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grapler AT
    mopar tow hooks, air intake, 247<242WJ swap, front bumper mod with trail lights installed, and heater treater...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFKGrmsBDk

I just noticed the same thing on my 01 Limited..slow leak when it cools off, not much of a leak though..

coming right out of the bottom of the housing..

I am assuming I have to drain all the coolant before taking the housing out correct?

Registered

Just pull off the hose at the housing and catch it in a pan, you won't lose much antifreeze. 2 bolts on the housing. New t-stat will have a rubber gasket as part of it. Remember not to over touque the bolts when installing housing.
    Gary