Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please Help Identify this T18 w/Pictures

Registered

Default Please Help Identify this T18 w/Pictures

I recently bought what I thought to be a T-18a (6.32:1) out of a CJ-7, to replace the early 1970's T-18 1B (4:1) that I have in my CJ-5..... but I do not know if what I purchased is exactly what I am looking for. The mount patterns are exactly the same, but the input shaft size is different.

The case that I bought has the Jeep style bellhousing pattern of the T-18 (with the offset mounting holes) whereas the Ford style is symetrical. However, I am not convinced that I have what I need and I am looking for some help.

Here are pictures of the T-18 1 B that I had previously installed in my Jeep. This came out of an early 70's CJ with a T-18 and does not have the granny low first gear. The bellhousing length is approximately 8" deep. This transmission has an input shaft length of approximately 9.43" from the mounting face, 1.125" main input shaft size, and .75" pilot bushing shaft size. This is a ten spline input.

The T-18a that I got has a shaft length of approximately 7.43" from the mounting face, 1.06" main input shaft size, and ~.68" pilot bushing shaft size. This is also a 10 spline input. The numbers on the side of this transmission read 13-01-065-906 with Borg Warner written underneath. I am also missing the front bearing retainer, and the one from the T-18 1B will not fit.

So did the T-18's in Jeep CJ's change shaft size and length? I really do not think that this is a Ford case, because it does not have the same Ford mounting dimensions. I can take more/better pictures if it would help figure this out. Any advice or help with this situation would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Brent
    1979 CJ-5 304/T18/D20 4.5" RE Dana 44's Locked

This is a wild stab in the dark but.....could it be set up for a different t-case?

You have bought the Texas style T18 which should mount right up to your transfer case. This is good. The reason for the difference is probably because the CJ7 is longer. I am in the planning stage of replacing my T150 with a T18 from a '78 Cherokee which had a long input shaft. I have been told that I can get an input shaft from a Ford T18 to put into mine for the correct length. Perhaps you can use the input shaft from your old T18-1B? Or perhaps you can get a Ford T18 input shaft (which should be relatively cheap). I'm hoping others can chime in on this.

I believe that the Ford's T18 was not the Texas style bolt pattern. So I believe you are correct and that this is a Jeep's T18.
    1976 CJ-5 ~ 4.2L “Straight 6”, T-150 Transmission, Dana 20, 3" Black Diamond Suspension Lift, 4.10 Dana 30/AMC 20 Axles, 33" TSL Super Swampers, Tie Rod Flip, Factory Keyless Entry
    ~~~
    1961 CJ-6 RHD Project ~ Down to the frame right now.

IIRC the T-18 from the late 70's CJ has a shorter bellhousing than the early 70's CJ. Just get a late 70's bellhousing.

It definitaly looks like a Jeep case, with the bolt pattern and drivers side PTO.
    84 CJ-8 Project,99 XJ

Project DOA has started

Can you take a side pic of the tranny... (second pic). It sounds and looks like a Ford T18... Especially if the Input is 1.062" 10 spline (FORD)... Jeeps had a 1.125" 10 spline input. That input nipple looks kinda long... (I belive all of my Jeep inputs are about an 1" in length)... You might have to trim the "nipple" a little... I'm not 100% sure though, I guess it depends on how deep your bellhousing is... Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I want to say that the normal bellhousing is roughly 6 1/2" deep For the T18, T176 and the T150. I'll measure my input nipple length and bellhousing depth tomorrow morning.
    You can swap out the input shafts... Providing they both are T18's... it doesn't matter if it's ford or Jeep... I actually have an Input here (out of a T18-1b Granny) that I have to send out to Moser for them to re-spline it. (extra Shaft is always good to have )
    1982 Wagoneer Frame slowly being caged, AMC 360, Ford NP435/NP205, 35" swampers, D44 Front, AMC 20 Rear Will be upgrading to 1 tons and 42" tires once I find a Ford NP203.

Registered

Yep it came out of a late 70’s jeep… those tranny’s are great made swapping in a SBC really easy

Just have the bearing retainer turned downed to the size of a Chevy, cut it back where it goes into pilot bushing, get a chevy scatter shield and redrill it to fit the trans and your done ready to put the SBC in your jeep.
    06 Rubicon, impact orange, 6sp. Full Traction ultimate 4” Shot arm lift, JKS mini skids, American 16-8 Ventura wheels, MT MTZ 285-75x16 tires, Hanson front bumper with four KC lights, Warn 9.5ti winch. Self built rear bumper, swing out tire carrier, and rock sliders.

01 Sahara, 3sp auto, Clayton 5.5 hard arm lift, JKS mini skids, 15x8 wheels of unknown maker, MT MTZ 35-12.5x15 tires, Hanson front bumper with two KC lights, Warn 8274-8000 pound winch, HP 30 with 456 gears and ARB locker, rear D-44 with 456 gears and Detroit Locker back bumper and swing out tire carrier of unknown maker.

97 SE 2.4, 5sp, 2.5 RC lift, 31-10.50 KM IIs on soft 8s, JKS disconnects. HP-30 4.88 Aussie locker 8.8 traction loc with 488s . Savvy front bumper, Warn xdi 9000.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by fifesjeep View Post
    Can you take a side pic of the tranny... (second pic). It sounds and looks like a Ford T18... Especially if the Input is 1.062" 10 spline (FORD)... Jeeps had a 1.125" 10 spline input. That input nipple looks kinda long... (I belive all of my Jeep inputs are about an 1" in length)... You might have to trim the "nipple" a little... I'm not 100% sure though, I guess it depends on how deep your bellhousing is... Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I want to say that the normal bellhousing is roughly 6 1/2" deep For the T18, T176 and the T15. I'll measure my input nipple length and bellhousing depth tomorrow morning.
    You can swap out the input shafts... Providing they both are T18's... it doesn't matter if it's ford or Jeep... I actually have an Input here (out of a T18-1b Granny) that I have to send out to Moser for them to re-spline it. (extra Shaft is always good to have )
    Yeah I can take a picture. I also read that the 72-75 T-18's had a different shaft length and size than the later versions (76-79). I dont have a sufficient tech source to cite on that though....

What would it take to swap the input shafts??? Sorry if this is a newbie question, but it didnt seem like it was something that would be easily possible to do, but I have never done anything like that before. That way I wouldnt have to swap the bellhousing or change mounting positions on the skid...driveshaft lengths, etc.
    Brent
    1979 CJ-5 304/T18/D20 4.5" RE Dana 44's Locked

Lots of good info on these in the knowledge base at www.novak-adapt.com
    - Roxie -
    74 CJ5
    Lifted
    Ready to Roll
    JeepGoddess.com

Project DOA has started

Below are some sites with info... You can also d oa search on this forum (T18 short shaft conversion, T18 etc)... I'm sure you'll find everything you need.

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...18-rebuild.htm
    http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Diagrams/T18.htm
    http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm
    1982 Wagoneer Frame slowly being caged, AMC 360, Ford NP435/NP205, 35" swampers, D44 Front, AMC 20 Rear Will be upgrading to 1 tons and 42" tires once I find a Ford NP203.

Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by drummondcj View Post
    Yeah I can take a picture. I also read that the 72-75 T-18's had a different shaft length and size than the later versions (76-79). I dont have a sufficient tech source to cite on that though....
    I've got one of each in my shop and that statement is absolutely correct. The '72-75 T18 have a longer input shaft than the '76-79 versions. The diameter of the earlier ones is also larger at 1-1/8". The '76-79 are 1-1/16". Fifesjeep is incorrect that all Jeep are 1-1/8". Both the T18 and T150 from '76-79 are 1-1/16". You need a new bellhousing and clutch disc which fit the newer input shaft. The clutch fork design also changed in '76, so your old clutch fork will not be compatible with the newer bellhousing.

What would it take to swap the input shafts???
    Not possible (again contrary to fifesjeep's info ). The tooth count on the input shaft where it meshes with the gear cluster is different between the two. The only way to make it work is with the shorter bellhousing and all of the other necessary changes required. Been there, done that on numerous occasions.

Your picture of the input side is more than enough evidence to show that it's a Jeep version. The Jeep bolt pattern was only used on Jeeps.

Project DOA has started

Hmmm, Everything that I have read and everything that I have seen and measured on The Jeep T18's they have the 1 1/8" 10 spline input... as the Fords Have the 1 1/16" 10 spline input... The Top cover of the FORD T18 Flares out to the left (driverside) as the JEEPS cover is a rectangular cover... Look below at the Novak site. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t18_t19.htm
    SNOWTOW... It's about time that you chimed in... as for the inputs I was thinking the granny to the granny version for swaps... my apologies for any confusion...
    SNOWTOW... Do you have the Gear count for the 4:1 input...
    So went and re-read some info and refreshed my brain waves...

FROM THE NOVAK SITE:
    Ford Versions
    The Ford T18 has a 1-1/16" diameter, ten spline input shaft that has a stick-out of 6-1/2" from the front face of the transmission. The pilot tip of the transmission measures .668". The front bearing retainer flange measures 4.850" and the bearing retainer tube is 1.430" in diameter. The front bolt pattern is the symmetrical Ford "butterfly" pattern; roughly 8-1/2" wide by 6-5/16" tall. The input shaft stick-out length is 6-1/2". Checking these dimensions will verify that the transmission is a 1966 or newer model, precluding it from being the T98.

The Ford versions can also be identified by its casting numbers cast into the driver's side of the case, commonly "T18-1E" for earlier units and "13-01" for later units. From 1966 until 1978, many T18s used a T98 shifter assembly. 1979 and newer T18s used a three fork shift cover assembly that shifts reverse gear directly. Because of this, reverse location is on the opposite side of neutral than the earlier version ('66 to '78). Earlier versions reverse gears shifts over and up - later versions shift over and down.
    The Ford T18 features a power-take-off (PTO) port on the passenger side of the case.
    A certainly rare version of the Ford T18 was the T18B, as provided in diesel trucks from 1967-1972, featuring higher gear ratios in 1st thru 3rd gears (4.32, 2.26, 1.51). This transmission will be very rarely encountered, but individuals should be aware of the possiblity.
    Jeep T18
    Jeep released 12 known versions of the T18 transmissions from 1966 and 1984, with the greatest variations being in input shaft configurations and gearing. The battle of working with these is compounded if you did not actually witness the transmission's removal from the donor vehicle.
    1976 was a crossover year for the Jeep CJ T18, featuring either the 4.02 or 6:32 first gear and no front adapter as previously. Both these and all CJ T18's through 1979 had the shortest of the Jeep input shafts, measuring 7.43" of stickout.
    All Jeep CJ's from 1977 to 1979 had wide-ratio T18 with the 6.32:1 first gear. No front adapter plate is present on these models. 1976-1979 T18 transmissions can be adapted to GM V6 or V8 by use of a T18 adapter kit that we manufacture, kit #1879. In 1979, the Jeep T18 underwent minor internal changes that affect the rebuild components used.

Ford vs. Jeep T18's
    The Ford T18's are clearly the best conversion choices in that they are far more standardized, easier to find and often more affordable. Replacement parts (namely, gears and shafts) for the Ford T18 are easily less expensive. Many, if not most, of the Jeep specific gears are no longer produced, making them painfully problematic to own if anything ever goes wrong or if parts interchangeability is required for a specific, non-standard adaptation.
    As a general rule, all FSJ T18's featured varying lengths of input shafts - all too long for installation into short wheelbased Jeeps. These were fitted with a variety of factory adapters and deeper bellhousings to accomodate the deeper bulkheads of these larger Jeeps. We get many calls from individuals attempting to adapt these versions into CJ Jeeps - many of them being sold under the unscrupulous pretense that they are inexpensive and direct replacements. Individuals get caught in often fruitless salvage searches for the rarest of the Jeep T18 input shafts and bearing retainers in an attempt to make the project succeed. As a solution for wide ratio (6.32:1 first gear) Jeep T18's, we offer a new input shaft and retainer assembly, kit #T18-ISK. There is currently no solution for the narrow ratio (4.02:1) Jeep T18's.
    Jeep T18's locate their PTO port on the driver's side.

Project DOA has started

Went digging a little further and found some more info...
    If the input shaft has a 17 tooth count you can swap them out... Count the helical cut teeth on the input shaft (They engage the cluster gear). I also counted my input gear tooth and it has 17 teeth ... the input nipple is roughly 7/8"-15/16" long...
    Here is a little more info as well as Ideas.
    http://www.jeepinpnw.com/files/jpbhsgs.pdf
    http://www.mackstrans.com/BorgWarnerT18.html
    Below is a detailed picture/diagram
    http://www.advanceadapters.com/instructions/712512.pdf
    I have also found that the Earlier Ford T18's had a rectangle cover as like the Jeep T18's... The Later ford T18's had the step on the driver-side. Below is a link to see the early & Late T18.
    http://www.partsmike.com/tech/t18_differences.html
    If you scroll down to the bottom of the next link you'll see that the tooth difference is 17 for the 6.32:1 and 23 for the 4:1... and like snowtow said they aren't interchangeable. Assuming and lack of tru indepth knowledge had me leading you away from the watering hole... my bad.. Hopefully all of these sites that I have listed with answer any and all of your questions...
    Thanks for correcting me snowtow... it just helped me to further my knowledge of the Ford and Jeep T18's..
    Anyway here is the link scroll to the bottom.
    http://www.partsmike.com/t18ford_jeep.html

Forum Leader

The only thing you really have to recognize to tell a Jeep case from Ford is the bolt pattern where it bolts to the bellhousing.

To the best of my knowledge, Jeep used nine different T18 versions through the run of CJs and full size Jeeps. The key to telling one from another is input shaft sizes, and gear ratio. Everything else is really just rhetorical and adds to confusion, especially if you've determined that it is a Jeep case and not Ford. It's really a simple process of elimination.

Project DOA has started

When you say
    The Key to telling one from another is input shaft sizes
    Are you referring to the shaft diameter or the length of the shafts? I imagine you're speaking of the different shaft lengths? Everything that i have read or seen with my own two eyes suggests and shows that Jeeps came with a standard 1 1/8" x 10 spline input... Whether it's the 6.32:1 or the 4:1. Seeing that the T98 has a few versions of the Input shaft (diameter etc) do you think that Jeep could've sent some T18's out the door with a T98 input... I read that the T98's input had a 17 tooth count... (I guess I could sit down and do the math figuring/crunching the numbers to figure out the ratio and tooth counts etc... Or seeing that the Ford T18 used the same tooth count do you imagine the Jeep could've used some of the Fords inputs? Especially seeing that they (Ford/Jeep) got their goods from the same manufacturer (Borg Warner)... On the IH site they said the IH used whatever they could get their hands on when their supplies ran low in and that's why some of the line tickets don't match the actual truck/vehicle parts... They also went on saying that if a vehicle called for a D60 rear and if they didn't have it they would put the next biggest axle etc... to keep the numbers flowing out the door. I know Jeep hit a few peak years of CJ production during those years... so that's why I'm wondering if they didn't dab into a few different pots to bake the goods for the yard sale. (So to speak).

Forum Leader

When you say
    Are you referring to the shaft diameter or the length of the shafts? I imagine you're speaking of the different shaft lengths? Everything that i have read or seen with my own two eyes suggests and shows that Jeeps came with a standard 1 1/8" x 10 spline input... Whether it's the 6.32:1 or the 4:1.
    I'm referring to both. You are incorrect that all of them have the 1-1/8" input shaft. The '76-79 CJ's, whether they had the T18 or the T150 all had a 1-1/16" input shaft. I looked at every link you've provided and none of them mention the input shaft diameter for a Jeep T18. I would imagine it's a CYA thing just like they don't mention the different input shaft lengths possible. They do mention the Ford, but that's because all Ford T18s have the same diameter.

I've got two '77-79 CJ T18s sitting in my shop. Both, along with several others I've installed including the one my CJ5 are 1-1/16". A couple of times we've just re-used the clutch disc that used to ride on a T150 input shaft. If the T18 was 1-1/8" there's no way that a 1-1/16" clutch disc would slide on to it.

Here's documentation of the T150 input size. Same length and diameter as the '76-79 T18. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/t150.htm

Need more corroboration? Call Parts Mike and actually talk to him. I only know of one person who has more knowledge and parts for the T18 than him and I can't find that guy's number at the moment or I would post it.

Do you imagine the Jeep could've used some of the Fords inputs? Especially seeing that they (Ford/Jeep) got their goods from the same manufacturer (Borg Warner)...
    You might have something there if the Jeep input shaft had the same pilot shaft diameter as Ford. They aren't the same though. Ford's is also about 1/2" shorter than the short CJ shaft. These two things are why a conversion pilot bushing is necessary to put a Ford T18 behind an AMC engine.

Dana/Spicer built all Dana 44's, but we all know that the Scout/Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Jeep Dana 44's have various differences between the makes.

On the IH site they said the IH used whatever they could get their hands on when their supplies ran low in and that's why some of the line tickets don't match the actual truck/vehicle parts...
    Jeep did have other maker's parts, but they were consistent about it.

Project DOA has started

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtow View Post
    I'm referring to both. You are incorrect that all of them have the 1-1/8" input shaft. The '76-79 CJ's, whether they had the T18 or the T150 all had a 1-1/16" input shaft.
    I have read that the T150's came with the 1 1/16" input... from various peoples posts and homepages but when I look at other businesses they say that they have the 1 1/8" input... I have yet to find where it says specifically where and when the Jeep T18's came with the 1 1/16" input...
    I would imagine it's a CYA thing just like they don't mention the different input shaft lengths possible.
    Well, there's plenty of members here that have dealt with or are dealing with a T18... Maybe we can get a separate post of T18 facts... (Something besides links to refer to some other forum etc else.
    They do mention the Ford, but that's because all Ford T18s have the same diameter.
    I don't understand why Jeep would make the diameters vary from the original (1 1/8") size to the smaller size (1 1/16") and then back to the original size (1 1/8")... Everything that I have read and actually put my hands on have been 1 1/8"... Is it luck of the draw? (Because luck normally isn't on my side )

I've got two '77-79 CJ T18s sitting in my shop. Both, along with several others I've installed including the one my CJ5 are 1-1/16". A couple of times we've just re-used the clutch disc that used to ride on a T150 input shaft. If the T18 was 1-1/8" there's no way that a 1-1/16" clutch disc would slide on to it.
    I understand the size difference but I'm looking for actual written evidence from Jeep manuals etc that Jeep used the 1 1/16" input. I may have missed some info in the link that you posted so I'll give that another read... But, I'd still like to see something factual from Jeep material.

I've been looking and comparing the T18 & T150... Below is some info on the T150 (Mostly part numbers which I'm cross-checking or trying to)
    http://www.transtarindustries.com/ca...oad.asp?ID=631
    The link below says that the T-150 has an input of 1 1/8" x 10 spline... If that is the case then the clutch disk would slide onto the Jeep T18's that have the 1 1/8" x 10 spline input without slop.
    http://amccf.laatikko.org/tech/amc_m...ies.html#150-T
    Here's another link towards the bottom of the page is info on the T150
    http://www.mackstrans.com/TremecID.html
    http://www.gremlinx.com/AMC-Transmissions.htm

Need more corroboration? Call Parts Mike and actually talk to him. I only know of one person who has more knowledge and parts for the T18 than him and I can't find that guy's number at the moment or I would post it.
    I like learning but I want the actual specs/diagrams from the Jeep manuals to take all of the assumptions, thoughts etc out of this equation... There has to be somebody who worked for Jeep that has this actual info... lol

Forum Leader

There has to be somebody who worked for Jeep that has this actual info... lol

Cripes dude. I mentioned that I have examples of two T18s in my shop. Doesn't get much more concrete than that. Take a look at the transmission in question at the origin of this thread. There's another one! I can understand some hesitation to believe me, but I'm not continuing this thread just to blow smoke up your backside.

Other people may be relying on the information in this thread and I sure don't want to steer someone down the wrong path just so I can hear myself type either.

Just like you have to find anything that says the T18 ever came with the 1-1/16" input, I've yet to find anything that says it came with the 1-1/8" (though I know they did the first four years it was available).

At this point I really don't care what you believe as I'm done beating this horse.

Edit: The factory service manuals don't give the specs in the detail necessary. Trust me, I looked for another example in writing.

Project DOA has started

Cripes dude. I mentioned that I have examples of two T18s in my shop. Doesn't get much more concrete than that.
    That's as concrete as saying Jimmy Hoffa is buried in Giant Stadium... (Mythbusters Proved it to be not true) (Just teasing man) To me, Concrete is what the factory says it is, with specs & diagrams etc...
    I also have 2 Jeep T18's that are 6.32:1 One being from a J-Series truck and the other one from a ??? (Short wheeled vehicle) and they both have the 1 1/8" Input. Although the J-Series T18 pilot tip was .750" in diameter. In the 1980 CJ-7 I have a Ford T18 behind the 401 with the 1 1/16" input. So If I were to say that this is "Concrete" evidence it would be nothing more than speculation and assumptions. I'm not saying that they didn't come with a 1 1/16" input... What I am saying is that there isn't no true Jeep references stating that Jeeps Used a 1 1/16" Input. All of the AMC/JEEP References say the T18 Input is 1 1/8" as well as the T-150. The links that I have posted have part numbers for the inputs and when you cross-reference the part numbers all of them show the T18 with 1 1/8" input. Some with various lengths and different sized pilot tip with either the 17 tooth(6.32) or the 23 tooth (4:03:1)...

Take a look at the transmission in question at the origin of this thread. There's another one! I can understand some hesitation to believe me, but I'm not continuing this thread just to blow smoke up your backside.
    Below is from another thread from this forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by DUCKBONE
    Also the jeeps have the PTO cover on the driver side the fords are passenger or both. Borg retooled the casting and changed that after '78. T18-1B is an early version sometimes they will have a T98 on the top covers because they interchange and used them on early models. Thats a jeep version pictured and I have one just like it in my jeep. I also have a '79out of a cj.
    During the mid to late 70's it seems that Jeep almost hit their peak numbers in production, changed or retooled their equipment, constantly fought to comply with emissions/regulations and were struggling to maintain independant financial freedom (FAILED, as they Merged with Renault in 1979 and went down hill fast..Chrylser purchased them in 1987)... I wonder if they pinched their pennies and used some of Ford T18 components to save a few pennies? Any thoughts on this??? This is just speculation as I am trying to look at this from various points of view.

Below is from the NOVAK site.
    Jeep T18
    Jeep released 12 known versions of the T18 transmissions from 1966 and 1984, with the greatest variations being in input shaft configurations and gearing. The battle of working with these is compounded if you did not actually witness the transmission's removal from the donor vehicle
    Like I said, I'm not saying that Jeep didn't do so I just want AMC/JEEP documentation.

Here is another link...
    http://www.cjoffroad.com/forums/post...101&FORUM_ID=5
    Other people may be relying on the information in this thread and I sure don't want to steer someone down the wrong path just so I can hear myself type either.
    Exactly... this is why I'm digging so deep and trying to find the answers with indepth detailed factual evidence. Why not?... If I could find all of the information on one thread then I would be happy... Especially if it lists "other" or side items/issues etc
    Listen man (Snowtow)... I'm not trying to have a pissing contest... I'm trying to toss everything out and onto the table... sort it out, find the facts & details and make sense of all of these supposed 12 versions of the Jeep T18.

Just like you have to find anything that says the T18 ever came with the 1-1/16" input, I've yet to find anything that says it came with the 1-1/8" (though I know they did the first four years it was available).
    Run the part numbers and cross-reference them... I have yet to find a Jeep T18 with an 1 1/16" input and once again I'm not saying that they don't exist I have yet to put my hands on one, see one and find the documentation from AMC or JEEP.

At this point I really don't care what you believe as I'm done beating this horse.
    Beating a dead horse is nothing more than a stress reliever unless you have something to prove or you get agitated easily. Like mentioned above a few times I'm not here for the pissing match of the month award I am only trying to find facts, detailed information etc.

The factory service manuals don't give the specs in the detail necessary. Trust me, I looked for another example in writing.
    Yeah I know, I have the TSM... Chilton and Haynes etc... Along with the Wagoneer/Cherokee books...

Forum Leader

You don't have a '77-79 CJ version of the T18 specifically though, do you? How about a T-150 (not a T15)?

The person who started this thread has the '77-79 T18. No disrespect intended, but you failed to recognize the basics that give it away (front bolt pattern) because it seems that you're so caught up in rhetorical specs that really don't matter for identification. Why would AMC make a change for a four year run? Who cares? Knowing why does nothing when you're looking for the right clutch disc or pilot bushing.

It would be wonderful if Borg Warner had a library such as Dana/Spicer has with part numbers and vehicle model information. That would far outweigh anything AMC would have put out, since BW actually made the transmissions, not AMC/Jeep (and BW probably had some manufacturing influence on the why/how specs of the transmissions Jeep used).

It would also be nice if some of the other people who are knowledgable on the T18 and have '77-79 T18s would chime in here, but I doubt if you'd believe them either. I've mentioned calling Parts Mike and speaking to him directly on the subject. I'll urge you to do that again if you truly want to know. The man probably knows more about the T18 than anyone from Jeep and makes a living selling the right parts. Oh well, hopefully the originator of the thread has gotten what he needs.

Project DOA has started

You don't have a '77-79 CJ version of the T18 specifically though, do you? How about a T-150 (not a T15)?
    I'm not sure what year specifically the other T18 is from.. Everything I pulled from it says Late 70's... Everything else that Came with the first Jeep was 79...

The person who started this thread has the '77-79 T18. No disrespect intended, but you failed to recognize the basics that give it away (front bolt pattern)
    The Front Bolt Pattern was already covered!!! The person who originally posted already stated that it was a Jeep due to the offset bolt pattern...

It seems that you're so caught up in rhetorical specs that really don't matter for identification. Why would AMC make a change for a four year run? Who cares? Knowing why does nothing when you're looking for the right clutch disc or pilot bushing.
    Because some people like to have reasons and a complete understanding of what where when and why?

It would be wonderful if Borg Warner had a library such as Dana/Spicer has with part numbers and vehicle model information. That would far outweigh anything AMC would have put out, since BW actually made the transmissions, not AMC/Jeep (and BW probably had some manufacturing influence on the why/how specs of the transmissions Jeep used).
    I Definitely agree that BW made the trannies and supplied AMC/JEEP with them... I'm also wondering if BW and AMC/JEEP decided to go with the FORD input style for those select years? and I would love to see factual evidence from either AMC/JEEP, BW or possibly even FORD... (Maybe AMC had aquired them from Ford) LOL...

It would also be nice if some of the other people who are knowledgable on the T18 and have '77-79 T18s would chime in here, but I doubt if you'd believe them either.
    Wow Dude... You seriously need to relax a little... Take a chill-pill and Don't take it so personally. Like I have said many times over... I'm Not saying that they didn't, I just want to see actual documentation from either AMC/JEEP/BW.... sh!t, even from Ford (if Ford spiced the pot).
    I've mentioned calling Parts Mike and speaking to him directly on the subject. I'll urge you to do that again if you truly want to know. The man probably knows more about the T18 than anyone from Jeep and makes a living selling the right parts. Oh well, hopefully the originator of the thread has gotten what he needs.
    And I'm sure he's a busy man and would rather not be pestered with such petty stuff... But then again, you have delt with him apparently so Maybe he does have some actual documentation... You should give him a call...
    Great Idea...
    I'm sure he got more than what he was looking for... Which is what a thread should be... "Covering all aspects and then some"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast