Thread: 2000 Wrangler 4.0 Stalling Problem

Default 2000 Wrangler 4.0 Stalling Problem

I've had my 2000 Jeep for 5 years and NEVER had a problem until now...but here goes...(note: I'm not anything of a mechanic at all.):

Three months ago, I had the thermostat and water pump replaced. Then two months ago, I had a tune up done and the blower resister changed because the blower wasn't working on three of the lower speeds. It started stalling after the tune up/blower resister change work. I was in a different state and figured I'd get it looked at again when I got home since I was within days of moving.

The problem is that the jeep stalls while driving in gear, idling, even at 60 mph.

Since I've been home I've had two different dealers tell me lots of things.

1st Dealer) computer module and SKIM module $1000, problem persisted. I took it back and they said they couldn't get it to stall after having it another week and who knows how many miles (I wasn't tracking it then). The customer service guy was so rude I went to another dealer.

2nd Dealer) fuel injectors needed cleaned, blower resister was shorting out (replaced again) another $400 + 300 for brake work & inspection, problem has persisted. 2nd dealer mentioned $1500 wiring harness and possible fuel pump (although no one has tested this) but is relying on the diagnostic codes to repair it. They don't want to just throw parts at it but they aren't getting any codes. In the meantime, they've put over 300 miles on it testing it. So again, more wasted money and they were wrong about the diagnosis.

I told them about this shield TSB for fuel injectors I found on a Jeep forum and they said that shield and TSB may have only been put out there for "a coupla Jeeps." I actually gave them the TSB with a diagram on how to put the shield on and asked them to install it. They said they couldn't order the part because it's not in their system.

Both dealers have said they can't replicate the stalling, but as soon as I get it back (and I've been without it for a total of about 5 weeks now), it stalls. Yesterday I had it out - didn't stall. Today I had it out, stalled about 10 times. So I can see their claim of not being able to reproduce the problem, but not after 300 miles. I mean, this is to the point of being laughable.

However, when it stalls, it's like the engine just shuts off. It's really very dangerous, because I can be on the highway at 65 and it'll stop.

After reading some of these posts I'm going to try to a new battery and spark plugs, to rule that out, but I figured I should post this to let people know that if they run into this to at least not jump to the PCM/SKIM replacement right away. I got ripped off.

Do you folks have any other suggestions?

Sudden stalling like that is often the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). Mounted high on the driver's side where the transmission bolts to the engine, the CPS provides the engine's master timing signal and when it starts going bad, it often causes the engine to suddenly stall intermittently. It's a plug-in sensor and it is only held on by one or two bolts (two with a manual tranny, one with an automatic tranny) so it's a fairly easy replacement. It's not real easy to get to it since it is mounted so high up but for a mechanic with several long extensions for his socket driver, it's not bad at all.

A bad CPS causing this exact symptom is not uncommon at all. No guarantees of course.
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
    Sudden stalling like that is often the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). Mounted high on the driver's side where the transmission bolts to the engine, the CPS provides the engine's master timing signal and when it starts going bad, it often causes the engine to suddenly stall intermittently. It's a plug-in sensor and it is only held on by one or two bolts (two with a manual tranny, one with an automatic tranny) so it's a fairly easy replacement. It's not real easy to get to it since it is mounted so high up but for a mechanic with several long extensions for his socket driver, it's not bad at all.

A bad CPS causing this exact symptom is not uncommon at all. No guarantees of course.
    Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I'll ask whoever I take it to to check that (and the injector shield and the fuel pump).

The tsb you are talking about would be a waste of your time and money, it is to correct a hard start/misfire after a hot soak.
    The skim module would not be causing you problem because you would have a code stored and the security light would be coming on.
    I have to agree with jerry, sounds like your crank sensor is dropping out. Although this is not a guaranteed fix, this is where I would start. I would also check your connections at the pcm for corrosion.
    I would not go replacing the pcm unless you can verify there is a bad driver within the unit itself.
    Also don't waste your money throwing parts at it hoping to cure the problem, tune up or battery is not causing your problem.
    2005 Rubi LJ 35's 5.5 Clayton
    lots of extras

2000 wrangler 35" Goodyears Rock-trac super 88 hp30 4.88Terminator trans 5.5" RE/Clayton lots of xtras. RIP
    2000 WJ 4.0 addco upcountry springs bilsteins
    2001 H-D Duece Black and Chrome (For Sale)
    1997 YZF1000 200mph Superbike (RIP)

Registered

Default Again, late to the game...

OK, so I am dealing with this stall thing and rough idle with my 00 TJ 4.0. Considering CPS or Coil, but cant test it.... even with the FSM. Anyone really resolve this? Rough idle and stall, destroying plugs without reason, not burning oil or coolant, etc... just a bug surprise of bad running engine...

In New England...

In the winter....

Of course....

Thanks...

-Keith
    -Keith
    '00 Solar Yellow TJ "Bigbird"
    3" Teraflex, 33" SSR's, lots more goodies

Registered

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kchecca View Post
    OK, so I am dealing with this stall thing and rough idle with my 00 TJ 4.0. Considering CPS or Coil, but cant test it.... even with the FSM. Anyone really resolve this? Rough idle and stall, destroying plugs without reason, not burning oil or coolant, etc... just a bug surprise of bad running engine...

In New England...

In the winter....

Of course....

Thanks...

-Keith
    Just noticed that you're trying to solve a problem of your own but you're reviving old threads to ask questions. I highly suggest you make a new post with a full description of what the problem is and what you have done so far to troubleshoot it; you're far more likely to get helped that way than by piggybacking questions in old threads.