Thread: Turbo 350 trans Swap in to Jeep YJ.

Registered

Thumbs up Turbo 350 trans Swap in to Jeep YJ.

I already have a Chevy 350 with an NV4500 Tranny and NP231 Transfercase.

I want to go Auto.,.. What is the best way?

Will the Turbo 350 and a NP231 bolt up?

i wont be of use to answer that question, but ill just add.... if your gonna go to the hassle of swapping transmissions to an auto, why not go to one with overdrive

Like the 700r4.......
    1990 YJ 4.2L Mostly Stock 2.5" Pro Comp Lift w/ 31's (the "Red Sled")
    2008 F-350 6.4L Diesel, 350 HP/650 TQ *Stock* (the Towing Beast)

700R4 - completely worth it.

And a NP231C will bolt to it no problem. Or you can get an adapter to mate the 231J to it.. but stupid if you ask me, get a 231C from a blazer in a junkyard. Usually they're HD too with a wider chain and 6 planetary gears vs the jeep's 3.
    95 YJ 4.0 -- GM 700R4 4 Speed -- NP231C/J HD
    4.5 RE Lift -- 33' BFG ATs on M/T Classics
    Extra Short SYE -- 4.11 D30 and LS 8.8 -- 1" Body Lift and MM Lift

97 XJ Sport - Stock

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Less Than Joe View Post
    700R4 - completely worth it.

And a NP231C will bolt to it no problem. Or you can get an adapter to mate the 231J to it.. but stupid if you ask me, get a 231C from a blazer in a junkyard. Usually they're HD too with a wider chain and 6 planetary gears vs the jeep's 3.
    Will the SYE I currently have fit in the NP231C? What year of blazer do I want to look for?

I could careless about overdrive because I am slowly turning my Jeep into a mud racer. I might drive it on the street once or twice a year in town only.

Well it bolts to a 700R4 with 4wd. I'm not sure if they made a 4wd version of the T350. The difference in the R4 between 4wd and 2wd is a shorter shaft and shorter tailhousing with 231 bolt pattern.

Check out Novak Conversion page for info on trans swaps and stuff. Were very very helpful when I created my kit. Heres a page on the 350

I used an SYE for a 231J on a 231C with no problem. If you've already got an SYE on your 231J, then just mate the output half of the J to the input half of the C. That will work fine. Thats what my plan was, but I needed an extra 3 inches so I went with a super short SYE and put it on the 231C.

I think the difference between the kits is the speed sensor.. otherwise all the bolts are the same, oil slinger and etc all the same.

Mine came off a 91 S10 Blazer. I believe the model years are 89-92? It would be my assumption you could find one off a S10 pickup and it would be the same. Just check the bolt pattern on the output of the transmission (usually 5 bolts for chevy) and then compare.

97 XJ Sport - Stock

Edit: looks like if you use the T350 you'll need to buy a kit to put the shorter shaft in and an adapter plate.

97 XJ Sport - Stock