Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Removing Catalytic Converter, Check Engine Light?

Right Wing Extremist TrojanMan06's Avatar

Icon316 Removing Catalytic Converter, Check Engine Light?

Im thinking about chopping mine off and straight piping it. Reasons: well its been on there for who knows how long and im sure its all clogged up, and they sell for about $100. I dont know if this will turn on my check engine light tho and would rather know this before doing this. Anyone know?

On my 98 after aprox 100 miles the check engine light is ON.

One day my Girl told me, your jeep or me!! Damn I miss her...
    CJ-5 "76
    ZJ 5.2 "98 HomeMade Rock Sliderz,HomeMade Front Bumper,4" RC + 2" BB, JKS QuickerDisconnects, 245/75-16 Maxxis Bighorn,Trash-loc,skids,and more to come!!

So im guessing thats a yes. Well I wonder if it would come on if I simply unplugged my O2 Sensor. Hoping since its a 93 it wont flick it on.

I gutted the cat on my 93 and never had any problems with the check engine light.
    93 ZJ 4.0L - SOLD
    98 ZJ 4.0L - Rolled it end over end
    04 WJ Limited 4.7

Icon316

Sweet, thats what I wanna hear. Ill probably go ahead and cut if off and take it to the scrap yard. An easy 100.

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan06 View Post
    So im guessing thats a yes. Well I wonder if it would come on if I simply unplugged my O2 Sensor. Hoping since its a 93 it wont flick it on.
    You only have one O2 sensor in front of the cat; it doesn't know if there is a cat behind it or not. Removing the cat will not turn on the CEL.

The engine computer looks for and needs the O2 sensor to help get the mixture correct. Unplug the sensor and the CEL will come.
    2001 WJ Limited, 4.7L, Quadra-Drive -- Kenne Bell Supercharger, Stillen Rotors with MM pads (F/R), Addcos (F/R), Kolak 3 inch exhaust with large case MagnaFlow, Rogue Chrome wheels, DRL activated, and Blaupunkt 3.5" dash speakers.

haha, thats actually a no brainer if you actually think about it first. thanks!

how did u guys gut ur cats?
    hammer and flat head screw driver?
    -John-
    -I'm 22 and learning.

-96 ZJ 5.2L V8
    - Lifted 5" on Long arms with plenty of fun stuff

Senior at The Ohio State University

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZJ52 View Post
    how did u guys gut ur cats?
    hammer and flat head screw driver?
    Pipe. Any diameter but obviously bigger the better. I used 1" pipe. But from my understanding the difference between the straight pipe and a very high flow cat is negligable. So I replaced mine later with a race cat from jegs.

Quote Originally Posted by finch View Post
    I gutted the cat on my 93 and never had any problems with the check engine light.
    x2....ran it like that for 7 years w/ the V8.

XJ's cat is hollow
    slate 5.9 Limited, 8" long arm, 285's, 8.8-Artec truss, 231/SYE w/Novak, straight piped, Durango 160A alt, Optima Red, ZG markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, Vortech supercharger & 5 speed swap awaiting to be installed

Stone white 5.9 on 30" AT's, 231, glass ECE's w/custom harness, clear corners, tinted, u jointed shafts

Banned

besides being illegal and causing you to fail any emissions inspection, and safety inspection in some states, yes your CEL will come on

the solution is to get O2 simulators, they came on the market for ferrari guys running straight pipes but alot of cheaper aftermarket ones are out there, just hook up the o2 sensor and then to the alternator, do not connect it to the battery or anywhere else

Icon316

Well Im gonna give it a shot. I dont care for emission standards. Just choking up our vehicles. If for some reason the light comes on, ill just take the $100 I made off my old one and buy a new one.

Banned

Not sure about your state, but in virginia a visual emission inspection is part of your safety and emission inspection, without passing emissions you can't renew your tags yearly.

Well my dad is the owner of the auto shop I work at so inspections wont be an issue. Thanks tho.

Banned

In virginia that would

A - not work, every car has to be plugged into an OBD computer and the results transmitted to the DMV, no passing results, no tags.

B - your dad would be better off to disown you since its a 50k fine

Disown me? Well A- Missouri doesnt require that. Plus its a 93 and doesnt even have a OBD hook up. B- I dont know how your family works but mine doesnt disown family members over converters.

Banned

50k fine over replacing something for 50 bucks isn't worth it.

Just get a high-flow cat and be done with it, its not like its made for performance or going fast anyway.

I see your point and yes it would be less risky to just get high flow but im 100% sure it will nvr be noticed. Plus a 100 for it and nvr have to worry about it gettin clogged up. I got 650 miles until it hits 300,000. Its needs to breathe as easy as possible. I appreciate the warning but ill be ok

Banned

Its not like your pushing that much, I had 145k on my cat when I had to get it replaced my emissions testing, and it wasn't clogged, infact it was basically just gone and turned itself into a straight pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by finch View Post
    X3

When I got my 93. I took off the cat to clean it out, and some PO had beat me to it. NO Check Engine Light.
    93 5.2 Limited W/Bum Tranny

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast