Thread: Installing EZ-Pass Transponder on Windshield

Registered

Default Installing EZ-Pass Transponder on Windshield

I just purchased an 08 Unlimited Rubicon. I've installed my EZ-Pass transponder to the right of the rear view mirror and an inch or so under the roof line, as their installation instructions say. However, its only actually read once out of the five times I've gone through a toll facility since I got the JK.

I'm guessing that the 90 degree angle of the windshield may have something to do with the problem. If anyone has any better suggestions as to where to place the transponder, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
    05 WK Limited w/5.7L HEMI
    08 JK Unlimited Rubicon

I'd contact the EZ-Pass folks and see if they have recommendations. I wonder if you couldn't mount it up on one of the rollbars futher back, about half a foot. The satellite radio antennas work through the softtop as well as the hardtop so I suspect the transponder should at least work through the soft top if it'll work through glass. Just a thought.

And I've seen people mount them right on the dash near the windshield on other cars, maybe it'll work here.

'00 TJ Sahara
    '05 WK Hemi Limited

I have a friend who just velcro'd his flat on the dash of his minivan for his job. He was having trouble with it being read and this seems to work for him.

If you do that make sure it's out of the way of the air bag or you or a passenger will have to have the e-z pass removed from your forehead.
    I just started selling Jeeps and look forward to learning a lot about the product and those that use it.

I put mine directly to the left of the rear view mirror mount. I haven't had any problems with it
    88yj-sold,93yj-totalled,88xj-sold,95yj-sold,08jk-current

Ive had problems with mine. Its hit or miss.

Registered

I contacted the EZ-Pass office, and what they saif I needed to do was put a couple extra layers of velcro on the top of the transponder to give it a little more angle. So far its worked every time.
    05 WK Limited w/5.7L HEMI
    08 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Icon318 Same problem

I've had the same problem every other time i used it. I thought my ez-pass was going bad because i've probably had it for 5 years so they sent me a new. I've only had it not read once since then and i use it 4 times a day. Mine is mounted behind the rear view mirror about and inch down from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by lcodd6 View Post
    I thought my ez-pass was going bad because i've probably had it for 5 years so they sent me a new.
    According to EZpass reps in NY, the transponder (your EZpass) is battery powered. Battery in the unit is good for approx. 5 or so years. When the battery finally dies and your EZpass no longer works they will exchange the transponder.

I keep my transponder slighty to the right of the rear view mirror and about an inch down. Works without problem.