Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: mile marker or smittybilt

Default mile marker or smittybilt

Taxes are coming finally and I AM getting a winch I have been pricing them and checking old posts on this forum (but most are quite old).

The PE8000 mile marker (@$420) and XRC10 by smittybilt (@$500) are at the price I want to pay. Does anyone here have any input on either of these winches I am kinda leaning towards the smittybilt cause of the seiries wound motor (not sure what it means but read alot of negatives about the magnet motor) also the XRC has more of a pull rating on it. I know alot of you will probably say warn all the way and I could anty up the extra $50 for the 8000 series or the tabor 9k, but I really am curious about these especially the 10k smittybilt.

Thanx peeps, Jason
    '70 Jeepster Commando, V6, auto, lifted, locked, and other stuff......
    '99 Cherokee Sport, DD
    '90 YJ, I6, 5sp......GONE.....
    http://www.backcountry4wheelers.com/index.html

I'd stay away from both.

Bout the best deal running these days is the rebadged T-Max winch sold by Summing Racing. 9000lb for $449. I'd trust T-Max quality hands down both Mile Marker and Smittybuilt.

If you do end up with the Smittybuilt winch, PLEASE change out the wire rope that comes with it IMMEDIATLY. Last I heard it was still shipping with fiber core wire on it which is substantially weaker than full metal wire rope. Guess they had to shave every cost they could to get em cheap, safety be damned.

edit: Link to the Summit badged T-Max winch.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    90 YJ, mostly stock, couple small performance mods.

Fi258/700R4/D300/HP60F/60R/5.38's/Detroits/SOA/37's

in my searching i read of bad dealings with summit and that that winch is the same as a champion and other bottom feeder winches.

Do you run one of these t-max's or have any first hand info on any of the winches I mentioned, no offense, but I am really looking for first hand experiances. I am trying to learn all I can before I buy.

Thanx, Jason
    '99 Cherokee Sport, DD

Actually I installed one on my buddy's jeep yesterday, it is NOT a champion, it is a T-Max, no questions about it. Worked great except for a loose connection in the remote plug that took about 30 seconds to fix.

I'll do some searching, there was a thread on one of the boards a while back that showed peeling off the Summit stickers and showing the T-max stickers that were underneath em.

Registered

The Smitty is a better winch than the MM>
    But for a couple $ more the Superwinch 9000 is the best bang for your $!
    Rick's
    814-696-1415
    Hollidaysburg, Pa.

78 CJ7 401/400/1339 7" lift
    35" MT/R's Moser and Detroit

SOLD! 97 TJ Tera LA Dana 44 Detroit
    35" MT/R's PSC Kilby Warn

2005 Impact Orange Ruby
    ARB/Warn, Ultra Rogue/BFG AT KOs, OME/JKS

99 Dodge CTD 3500 Jeep hauler
    Edge Comp BFG's

You said it yourself, "Warn all the way". The last thing I want to break when I'm really stuck is my winch. Warn has proven itself. Not that others haven't, but Warn is generally regarded as the best. Wait for the economic revitalizing check that's coming in May and get the Warn!
    Cheers,
    cc

thanx for the link, like I said I don't want to offend anyone just looking for info. Also I did not say it was a champion what I ment was that it is made in the same place by the same people as some cheapy winches.

Thanx Jason
    '99 Cherokee Sport, DD

Registered

HI,
    Warn, gosh darn it! Really, a winch is a bad place to economize. You do get what you pay for.

Sparky
    Red '89 Soft Top YJ, 258 Howell Fuel Injected (love it), Vanco Hydroboost hydraulic brake boost system (works great), Safari Snorkle, AX15, D30 and D35 both ARB locked, Tom Wood's CV & SYE, Teralow + 2 low, Tomkin rock sliders, Pro Comp 31X10.5 Mud Terains on 31X8.5 steel wheels, Garvin top and tailgate racks, Tuffy glovebox, center console, rear trunk, Hella Compact 4000 spots and fogs, Pair of Hella rear work lights, Warn 7" fllairs, Warn front bumper, Custom Rear bumper, Warn 8274 winch, BestTop reclining seats, Wrangler NW Power dual battery system, Dual Optima Yellow Top batteries, Mean Green 140A alternator, Mean Geen heavy duty starter, 3 core radiator, Lots of skid plates. Cobra CB, There's more but of less importance.

Tmax is also now building the Smittybilt winches - the XRC8 anyways. I'd have no problem buying one of the Smittybilt winches.

Check out post #337
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...83#post8135483

Make sure you've got a decent battery, then throw away the tiny power cables that come with any winch and double their size.

always broke and broker'r Rock WoRM's Avatar

I don't have first hand experiance, but I'll past this along FWIW.
    I don't recall who, but there was a write up on JF about the smittys. One point that jumped out in the aritcle was the winch's had static epoxied magnets that were not replaceable. One winch was returned b/c it had a cracked magnet.
    As far as "cheapy winch's", to my knowledge, both MM and Smitty are made in China? At least thats what I've heard... and I do not like to make "heard" statements... but that's what I heard. :touche:

(actually, I read on MM box they were made in China... not sure on Smitty)

WRM
    92 YJ, 4.0, 5spd, AC, 5" BDS SUA, MORE booms, 1" BL & MORE 1" MML, AA HD SYE w/cv, 4.56's, No-slip front w/pos-i-lok, Detroit 8.8, Tera 4-1, JCR 1ton TRE flip, U-bolt skids, 35" MT'Rs, Warn 8000 winch, PSE trail cage, home brew swing and rock sliders, CD stereo and tuffy console. <><

Cruise'n on a Suzuki Intruder VL 1500 V-twin when I'm not Jeep'n.

I'm always thankful to be thanked.

Registered

I have 2 milemarkers (I'll have to look what models 1-8,000, 1-12,000) in reciever mounts and a Superwinch (9,000) in a reciever mount. The oldest is the smaller MM. As an "occassional use" wincher, I have been very happy with all three. Probably haven't done more than 75 pulls with the oldest one, but I once pulled a K5 Blazer sideways off a rock pile (don't ask, it was the only choice).

If you winch a lot and do a lot of heavy pulls, Warn. For lighter, less frequent use, any winch is much better than no winch.

Think about how frequently you might have needed one in the past, and how extreme you are planning to go. I know in the MM line up, there is a couple models where you pay more for a higher capacity without a weight compromise.

I have never needed a winch where I said "Gee, I have more winch than I need, maybe I should go lighter..." What I'm saying is, if you can stretch to a 12,000# you won't regret having the biggest possible - line speeds under load are faster and it's just easier on the winch to pull lighter loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock WoRM View Post
    I don't have first hand experiance, but I'll past this along FWIW.
    I don't recall who, but there was a write up on JF about the smittys. One point that jumped out in the aritcle was the winch's had static epoxied magnets that were not replaceable. One winch was returned b/c it had a cracked magnet.
    WRM

That is true of the 1st design RC8's the new ones use a 5.5 hp Series Wound motor.

Registered

The MMs are a PE8000 and an SI12000 (took my own advice and went to the bigger dog. The SuperWinch is an EPi9000.

Again, happy with all of them. Went with reciever mounts originally because I wanted to use at both ends. Now, I keep adding trucks to the stable and I can move them around any time I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    HI,
    Warn, gosh darn it! Really, a winch is a bad place to economize. You do get what you pay for.

Sparky
    ^^^X3^^^

(Buy american)

A lot of folks think they can get by with a cheaper slower winch because they "dont compete" and aren't in a hurry.

In actuality, a fast winch can and will save you alot of headaches down the trail.

Imagine if you will, a fairly slick hill climb, ya get to a spot where all 4 are turning and you aint goin no where. Break out the winch, now, you have the tires turning to help out getting over the rock that stopped ya, and wouldn't ya know it, the tires find some traction. Now, you are moving under your own power, but the winch cable is still hooked up and reeling that slow mother in takes forever so as your driving the cable drops to the ground where it gets run over and wraps around your axle creating all kinds of problems.

Sure, as soon as you grab traction you can stop and disconnect the winch cable, reel it in, or wrap it around the bumper, but you've lost momentum now and need to hook it right back up again.

A fast winch can and often times does make the difference between a 5' pull and having to winch up the entire length of the uphill trail. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Anyone who says they can accept a slow winch because they will only use it every now and then, or speed isn't important, is trying to fool themselves that they didn't throw their money away on a slow as molassas POS winch.

For any other winch newbies, check out my beginners intro to the wonderful world of winching. Pay special attention to the horror stories and pics, its a dangerous buisness.

http://bbb.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/ult...=000602#000000

OK I realize most people say warn you all may have swayed me.

But, does anyone have any input on warn tabor winches what are the differances between the two anyone know. Keep the opinions coming I appreciate it.

Thanx, Jason
    '99 Cherokee Sport, DD

Registered

I would start looking on craigslist, local 4x4 clubs etc for a used warn. I got my 8274 for $250 w/ a plate. Some one else i know got an m8000 for free that was missing the control pack and it works great.
    1988 YJ 258, weber, TFI, nuttered, 2"bds, 31" x-terrains

I've got a Tabor 9K on the front and my venerable Warn MX8K on the rear. Both just as slow as slow gets, both will just pull and pull and pull.
    I thought about a high speed winch when I got the 9K but I've had the Warn for a lot longer then high speed winches have been made (other then the 8274).
    John Swink
    Bob Supplee (405) 799-8977 or supplee4wd@sbcglobal.net
    Don't take yourself so seriouslly, nobody else does...

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by kwrangln View Post
    Anyone who says they can accept a slow winch because they will only use it every now and then, or speed isn't important, is trying to fool themselves that they didn't throw their money away on a slow as molassas POS winch.
    I beg to differ with your opinion. I've never had any speed or performance problems with a "POS winch". Nor have I ever had to winch 100' through the rocks - around here, the longest section of rocks I know is less than 100' all the way through. I'm not fooling myself into anything because the products I purchased perform EXACTLY as I expected when I put the money down.

Based on your approach, throw away your Warns. Electric winches are not the best winches out there. Go hydraulic for considerably better performance. Or better yet, my M37 had a PTO winch that was geared identical to first gear low range. PTO winches adjust there speed with throttle position, therefore literally you can not overrun the winch cable. I'm not advocating either of these styles really, but in the world of real heavy duty winching, those are the real big dogs. I retired my PTO for a bunch of reasons and replaced it with 2 "POS winches".

You know, everyone with a winch is not a rock crawler. The longest winch pull I have ever needed was less than 10' - need more cable to get to an anchor, but the pulls are very short. If you have a winch that is faster than your truck, I'd love to see it. In 4 low and low gear at idle, virtually every winch can keep up.

Like most parts selections, it is more about what you do and how you use it than a specific part. There's guys that will tell you that you better get Dana 60s if you run anything bigger than a 33 - but that too depends on usage.

Most guys will also tell you to put the winch up front - virtually every time it is easier to go back from where you came and try again - that's why I use reciever mounts, I can swap ends in a heartbeat to go either direction - again, depends how and what you do.

I've run Poison Spider at Moab 3 times in a stock body F150 and never unspooled either winch and no body damage to boot. Sometimes you make choices on the trail that help and sometimes you make choices to take the toughest lines and winch up the whole ride.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast