Thread: cj7 hardtop into cj5 hardtop

Default cj7 hardtop into cj5 hardtop

i was looking for a hardtop for my cj 5 but there hard to find i knew i should have bought the one i found on ebay last year but didnt have the money in time
    it went for about $600.the only ones i can find now are going for$1000 or more.
    i came across a post about a guy sectioning a cj7top to fit a cj5 but cant find it now has anyone done this and if so how hard was it to do.
    76 cj5 some of it over here
    some of it over there
    most of it waitin to be ordered

Frame up officially started 07/13/08

I'm a member of PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals!

It burns when i pee...

i think you'd waste more time and money trying to make a 7 fit a 5..

just my $.02

If you've done any fiberglass work, it wouldn't be bad. Getting the rear window openings right would be the hardest part I think. I messed around and shortened a 7 top, trying for the 1/2 cap look. Wasn't bad to cut then reassemble. Never finished it, as I now have a full cage.

'80 CJ7 258, T4, D 300 w/twinstick, 3" Black Diamond & 1" prothane body lifts, wide trac D 30 & M20,4:10 gears, Aussie lockers front and 'outback', 7500# winch, 33x12.5-15 Maxxis Bighorns, KC Hilites and other shiney stuff..
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2423423
    --------------------------------------------------

I think the 'hardest' part would be making the damn doors.
    "In the end...It's all Hack."

The key to doing this is finding a CHEAP CJ7 top. If you can't find a CJ7 top really cheap it's not worth it.
    1979 CJ-5 - 38x12.50 TSL's, DIY beadlocks, SOA, Waggy 44, 14 Bolt, 4:10's, 360, T-150 soon to RIP, Dana 20.

"Those funny lookin' square headlights just make me giggle"

Quote Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
    '80 CJ7 258, T4, D 300 w/twinstick, 3" Black Diamond & 1" prothane body lifts, wide trac D 30 & M20,4:10 gears, Aussie lockers front and 'outback', 7500# winch, 33x12.5-15 Maxxis Bighorns, KC Hilites and other shiney stuff..
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2423423
    --------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
    I was going to attempt this...But decided not to.
    My idea for the doors was to trace out the pattern of the curve of the door opening on a piece of cardboard. Then trace that curve on the steel door, and then cut that out. From there I was going to get some sheet metal and weld it back in the bottom and side of the door where you cut it out. The window stumped me though...There is definately some work to make this work right.
    1979 CJ-5 - 38x12.50 TSL's, DIY beadlocks, SOA, Waggy 44, 14 Bolt, 4:10's, 360, T-150 soon to RIP, Dana 20.

"Those funny lookin' square headlights just make me giggle"

i was just gunna use my soft doors from my 5 dont see why they wouldnt work,since im not changing the body at all.just making the cj7 top fit the cj5 so as i see it the doors wont matter at all.
    some of it over there

Your soft doors are square in the top corner though aren't they? So they wouldn't fit the curve of the door opening in the hardtop anyway.
    84 CJ-7: 92 YJ tub, 4.2L w/MC 2100 & HEI, 4" BDS lift, 1" Daystar BL, 35" X-Terrains, Warn 8274, flush mount tail and marker lights and a stereo!....FINALLY!

Jeep girl wanted.....Only the dirty and topless need apply!

I did this. It's not perfect but it works. As was said, the secret is finding a CHEAP CJ7 top. Look for one that is damaged. You can probably get it for free. I cut through the side window, then up and over to the other side and down through the other side window. Don't go straight across the top. You want to curve the cut. Get some small cheap metal or aluminum angle to temorarily bolt the halves together while you fiberglass them.

For some reason, the bottom of my top didn't reach the tub. In another post someone mentioned that the CJ5 tub wall might not be as high as a CJ7. I'm not sure if that is right but it would explain things. I added wood to the bottom and glassed over it. What I SHOULD have done was cut the bottom off and extend it down. That's what I would do if I were to do it again (which I might next year).

I found some fiberglass CJ7 / YJ doors that I modified to fit my tub.
    '79 CJ5 with not much '79 left to it

SOA on Wagoneer Dana 44s locked
    T18/D18 with OD drive train
    258 with HO 4L head and OBD1 Fuel Injection
    Still fixing and building after almost 20 years

Registered

If you were colser I would give you a top to work with for free. I have a cj 7 top that is headed to the dump soon.

im kickin myself in the ass i could of had a cj5 hardtop and doors for $600 last year but passed on it cause cash was a little tight.now the only ones i can find are $1000-2000.
    some of it over there

Just keep your eyes open. I just bought a hard top & doors for my CJ5 about a month ago for $475. I painted it and I needed to replace the hydraulic lifts that hold up the tailgate. But, it looks great and I think I got it at a great price.
    1976 CJ-5 ~ 4.2L “Straight 6”, T-150 Transmission, Dana 20, 3" Black Diamond Suspension Lift, 4.10 Dana 30/AMC 20 Axles, 33" TSL Super Swampers, Tie Rod Flip, Factory Keyless Entry
    ~~~
    1961 CJ-6 RHD Project ~ Down to the frame right now.

$475 is a pretty good deal if you ask me.im sure ill find one eventually.more than likely wont have the money to buy it when i do find one.seems thats the way she goes.
    some of it over there

Just keep an eye on Craigslist or something. I never even check ebay. Just craigslist.
    1976 CJ-5 ~ 4.2L “Straight 6”, T-150 Transmission, Dana 20, 3" Black Diamond Suspension Lift, 4.10 Dana 30/AMC 20 Axles, 33" TSL Super Swampers, Tie Rod Flip, Factory Keyless Entry
    ~~~
    1961 CJ-6 RHD Project ~ Down to the frame right now.