Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Seat belt caught up in door latch - Is this normal?

Registered

Default Seat belt caught up in door latch - Is this normal?

2001 TJ.. Factory seat belts... Half the time I close my doors (full hard doors), the darn seat belt gets caught between the post/striker on the door frame and the latch in the door. Seat belts retract normally best I can tell. (What is the real test for proper retraction??) Happens on both sides. Is this normal? A "jeep thing"?? Annoying at the least (belt gets dirty/greasy).. Dangerous at the most because I'm wondering if the belt gets weakened by getting repeatedly caught in the latch. (no visible tears yet). Advice appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rbrown1 View Post
    2001 TJ.. Factory seat belts... Half the time I close my doors (full hard doors), the darn seat belt gets caught between the post/striker on the door frame and the latch in the door. Seat belts retract normally best I can tell. (What is the real test for proper retraction??) Happens on both sides. Is this normal? A "jeep thing"?? Annoying at the least (belt gets dirty/greasy).. Dangerous at the most because I'm wondering if the belt gets weakened by getting repeatedly caught in the latch. (no visible tears yet). Advice appreciated.
    Happens all the time... I find I have to purposly let the seatbelt retract before closing the door. I don't do it anymore. But when other people get in and out it happens... then I yell.
    '02 Black Sahara, AW4, 4" Teraflex, Gen 2 lowers & flex uppers, JKS 1.25" BL, Teraflex trackbars, 35" MTR Tera low 4:1, AA SYE, TW DS, Tera 2 low, AtoZ fab Rockers, Tomkin Gas tank skid, Crane/Rockcrusher Diff Cover, CO2, Warn 8274-50, 4.56's d30 + d44 ARB, superior, Flowmaster, 15lbs CO2, HID's

Registered

It happens in my Jeep too. I just try to remember to tuck the seat belt behind the door jam. I think this just happens because of how close the seat belt hangs to the edge of the jam.
    '97 Wrangler Sport with a rack for my boards...

X3. Very common occurance if you're not paying particular attention to it. If you've done this enough to see damage to the webbing, it is probably time to replace the seat belt. At about $70 a pop, that sucks but better to be safe than sorry.

I was thinking about wrapping a piece of thin leather or ballastic nylon around that section on the belt, kind of like the abrasion sleeve used on synthetic winch line. Maybe this would prolong the life of the seatbelt.
    -Phil

2003 Jeep Rubicon "Stinky
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/558772436jhLnLW

Registered

Yup, same problem I have, but I like it.
    It ticks me off every time, and when I get ticked off, I go to Home depot, and when I go to Home Depot I go to the tool department, and when I'm at the tool department I buy tools and when I buy tools my wife gets ticked off and when she's ticked off, I get ticked off and well....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2000 Sahara, 4.0 Auto
    2" BB, 1" BL, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, JKS quick disco's,
    33" X 12.5 Mickey Thompson MT, Durango SB, Taurus fan
    Stock everything else.
    Just a 40 year old kid.

Registered

Thanks to all!! Pretty much confirms "It's a Jeep thing" :-) ==> Canuck4welr, I about busted a gut laughing so hard!

Jeep thing: TJ's and YJ's
    I really hate it when it happens to the passenger side. A few times I caught friends trying to slam the door harder to get the door to shut !!!
    '98 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    '05 Cadillac CTS-V
    '05 Jeep Liberty Unlimited 4X4

Registered

hmm...isn't a seatbelt a lifetime warranty item? and yes by the way, it happens to me all the time.

98 TJ, 4.0/5spd, 8.8 tri-4 linked rear and HP30 w/ LCA skids by Get Bent Kustoms, P.O.R.C. SYE, RE 2" BB+xj springs in front, RE SF lowers, 1.5" BL, 4.10's, custom front bumper w/ D-rings, 35" Claws on fake locks, custom intake w/K&N, 2 chamber muff. w/turndowns, 99-up intake swap. Homemade front discos, MML, homebrew highline fenders.

Mine did that all the time too.. .well, still does. When it was under warranty the dealer sprayed a rag with silicone lube and wiped the belt down. Definitely helped some. Now 10 years later it has gotten all frayed. The dealer wanted $210 for the belt and $70 labour to change it. We went down to the wreckers and paid $50 and took 10 minutes to install it. The wife took a piece of leather and a string of leather lashing and put a sleeve over the offending area. Now I am more careful with it. We will see how it lasts.

As far as it being a lifetime warranty thing, I would assume if you slam it in the door that will be considered your fault. Even though it is a "Jeep Thing".
    Jeff Niwa
    98 TJ Sport, Trac Loc, 3" Teraflex System, 1" BL, 33x12.5 Stampeder MTs on AR767's. BFG AT KO's, Tomken Gas Skid, California Soft Top, Bosch H4 headlight upgrades w/ 55/65watt bulbs + all sorts of other lighting, tow strap, first aid kit, Durabaked interior, Cobra 75 CB w/ 5' Wilson Antenna, Rusty Oil Pan skid, Husky floor liners, hand throttle,and fire extinguisher.
    PurpleTJ's Website

Quote Originally Posted by TJMudpuppy View Post
    hmm...isn't a seatbelt a lifetime warranty item?...
    Huh? Or, do you mean after your life is over.
    '98 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    '05 Cadillac CTS-V
    '05 Jeep Liberty Unlimited 4X4

Not anymore when I switched to a three/four point seatbelt...
    98 TJ, 4.0ltr, Hard top

Adapt, Improvise, Overcome

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by JayPaulThompson View Post
    Happens all the time....

My wife yes, my dog maybe, my Jeep never.

How 'bout belt loops?
    00TJ Sport; 4" lift on 35's; .

Oh Great! Now What? Hyper Buzzin''s Avatar

Happened to me once, the second day I had the Jeep and stopped back at the dealer. Went inside and the salesman said I should shut my door.
    I know I shut it and when I went back out I realized what happened.
    Since then, I make sure to remove the seatbelt before I even open the door. Hasn't happened since.
    Hyper... ... or, just call me Tim
    '04 Jeep TJ Unlimited '06 Jeep KJ Liberty Sport (her's)
    '01 Kawasaki KLX 300R '99 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
    -llllll- Ride Hard, But Don't Have A Hard Ride!! -llllll-

Registered

04, same stupid thing!
    Some engineer should have been slapped....several times.
    Dave

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post
    Jeep thing: TJ's and YJ's
    Have the same problem on my CJ too

Quote Originally Posted by FM117 View Post
    04, same stupid thing!
    Some engineer should have been slapped....several times.
    Dave
    Prob the same moronic engineer that thought a Slip yoke was a good idea :nutkick:
    Cheers
    Wooders

1946 Willys truck, 1974 CJ6, 1975 CJ5, 1997 TJ, 1998 XJ & 2000WJ......
    Wooders Garage.
    Sydney Jeep Club.

My 01 TJ does and my 90 YJ does....the YJ latch really chews up the belt.
    Pat
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
    2005 Jeep Wrangler (TJ) - Parts Jeep
    2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport (TJ) - Sold
    1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport (XJ) - Wife's Jeep
    1990 Jeep Wrangler Islander (YJ) - For Sale Soon
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (SJ) - Sold
    1990 Jeep Wrangler SE (YJ) - Gave to son
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (SJ) - Departed
    1996 Jeep Cherokee SE (XJ) - Trade-In

http://community.webshots.com/user/jeepnut63

Quote Originally Posted by TJMudpuppy View Post
    hmm...isn't a seatbelt a lifetime warranty item?
    I had a faulty latch on mine and was completely out of warranty and the dealer replaced the latch. All I said was....."I really hope I dont get into a wreck..."

sell the damn thing.. sounds horrid.. how can a belt do that..

x10

Registered

Mine does it more in the winter, as my coat seems to drag the belt over the latch as I get out. Now, I just sort of tuck the belt back as I remove it, it seems to work pretty well.
    Black 2001 Sahara 5 Speed Manual DD, Hardtop, and Viking Soft Top, 2" RE BB, JKS 1.25" Body Lift, M.O.R.E. Bombproof Torsion Rubber 1" Motor Mount Lift, Mickey Thompson MTZ 33's on Canyons (with Spidertrax spacers), open (for now) D30/D44 3.73's, Kilby steering box skid, Rancho 5000 Steering Stabilizer, Radiator Skid, Front diff Rock-It Glider, JKS Quicker Discos, JKS BPE's (rear), Husky Liners, Yeasu FT 8900 Quadbander Ham Radio, Garmin GPSmap 60CSx with Topo, K&N FIPK & Jet Chip (came with), Warn M8000 winch with Tomken Plate, 30+ year old Hi-Lift still going strong!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast