Thread: MJ dana 44 into a YJ ??

Default MJ dana 44 into a YJ ??

My buddy bought a 92 YJ with a sagged out 4" lift and what we thought was the rare factory dana 44 rear

Well this past weekend we tried to replace the lift (RE 4.5" extreme duty) and after dealing with all the typical rusted bolts and rusted out frame repairs we discovered that the spring perches on the rear axle are approximately 1.5" too far apart . So we find the numbers and hit the web and discover that its a dana 44 from an MJ with 3.07 gears the wms - wms is right so all we gotta do is move the spring perches in and set the pinion angle bolt it up then try it out

Then a bit more web wheeling reveals that the offset pinion will eat the double cardan drive shaft ? . Then the local 4x4 supplier tells me that its next to impossible to find replacement axle shafts for this axle ?

So is it worth fabbing this axle to fit a YJ or do we go a different route ?

TIA

Rookie

Do you know what year its from?

What bolt pattern does it have?

If it's a 5 on 4.5" - looks like it's similar to the XJ D44's and lots of people have swapped them in. A buddy of mine has the XJ D44 and his IS NOT offset.
    http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=277046

Does it have 6 on 5.5 pattern? Quick research - it could also be similar to the SJ (Grand Waggy axle). I have an 89 Grand Waggy rear D44 in mine.

Got any pictures??

MJ/XJ/TJ Dana 44 axle shafts all the same. Offset would have to be a whole bunch to hurt your driveshaft. Are you sure you have a MJ axle?

also, you can find custom shafts online. get your lengths, spline count etc etc and start calling axle manufacturers.

Registered

If you have a really bad offset, you can still use it, but you'd need to make the drive shaft with a CV joint at each end, this way you deal with the angle at each end independently & set up the axle pinion, not necessarily to point at the t-case output, but to minimize the angle. You can use the standard Spicer CV joint (used on XJ, TJ, etc) as long as the angle isn't greater than 22 degrees. This is the way you deal with a front drive shaft, since you can't rotate the axle to point the pinion without redoing the caster angles. Two CV joints save a lot of re-welding and other headaches associated with axle configuration, unfortunately, not too many drive line shops consider this, even though it's a fairly common approach for some applications.

always broke and broker'r Rock WoRM's Avatar

just another thought...

Are you happy with 3.07's?

If not, maybe look through some PnP's for some waggy 44's with lower gears... ya might find some w/3.73 or something. Then of course there's always the 8.8. :wavin2:

WRM
    92 YJ, 4.0, 5spd, AC, 5" BDS SUA, MORE booms, 1" BL & MORE 1" MML, AA HD SYE w/cv, 4.56's, No-slip front w/pos-i-lok, Detroit 8.8, Tera 4-1, JCR 1ton TRE flip, U-bolt skids, 35" MT'Rs, Warn 8000 winch, PSE trail cage, home brew swing and rock sliders, CD stereo and tuffy console. <><

Cruise'n on a Suzuki Intruder VL 1500 V-twin when I'm not Jeep'n.

I'm always thankful to be thanked.

I had one in my yj for a while. Bent the housing pretty bad in less than a year, but that was probably cause I was hard on it. Never had any other probs except for the parts the bent housing tore up. Sounds like it's time for a gear swap, and yes the alloys for a TJ are the same length.

Quote Originally Posted by Janster View Post
    Do you know what year its from?

What bolt pattern does it have?

If it's a 5 on 4.5" - looks like it's similar to the XJ D44's and lots of people have swapped them in. A buddy of mine has the XJ D44 and his IS NOT offset.
    http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=277046

Does it have 6 on 5.5 pattern? Quick research - it could also be similar to the SJ (Grand Waggy axle). I have an 89 Grand Waggy rear D44 in mine.

Got any pictures??
    No we don't know the year it had 10" drums and 2.5" wide shoe's

Its a 5 on 4.5

Pulled it apart tonight and did some measuring the yoke is offset to the passenger side by 1.5" , but my shock tj 44 axles are the same length and fit fine and the double cardan ds in my tj hasen't had any issues in the two + years I've been running it

I can get pics if you want

Quote Originally Posted by jzj View Post
    MJ/XJ/TJ Dana 44 axle shafts all the same. Offset would have to be a whole bunch to hurt your driveshaft. Are you sure you have a MJ axle?
    Your right they are all the same

Yep is an MJ axle factory set up for sua matched up the numbers to this page

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/YJdana44/

Quote Originally Posted by Rock WoRM View Post
    just another thought...

Are you happy with 3.07's?

WRM
    My buddy going to be running 35's so we're gonna re gear to 4.88 soon

Quote Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
    I had one in my yj for a while. Bent the housing pretty bad in less than a year, but that was probably cause I was hard on it. Never had any other probs except for the parts the bent housing tore up. Sounds like it's time for a gear swap, and yes the alloys for a TJ are the same length.
    This one will be "lady driven" so it might hold up

Re gear and cromo's are in the works

Dose anyone know the exact spring perch width for the yjs I don't have alot of experience with them and I don't have a stock axle to measure ?

Thanks for all the help

Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
    This one will be "lady driven" so it might hold up
    Ha!!

You have no idea what you could be getting yourself into.

Quote Originally Posted by Janster View Post
    Ha!!

You have no idea what you could be getting yourself into.
    What do you mean all the used car ads say "Lady Driven" so thats gotta be a good thing right

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
    What do you mean all the used car ads say "Lady Driven" so thats gotta be a good thing right
    Not if it were me......

(laugh)