Thread: A dumb scrambler bulkhead question

Registered

Icon5a A dumb scrambler bulkhead question

I'm in the process of Herculining the inside and recently removed the hard top and the bulkhead, and with this long bed behind the seats it REALLY looks empty there now. I plan on riding this summer with a bikini top most of the time. So now for the dumb question.....with a bikini top would it be best to remove the bulkhead or leave it in place to cut down on wind and rain attacking you from the rear? I'm thinking the bulkead isn't that strong without a top attached and it might try to flex/vibrate in the wind??

any experiance or advice???? and being my age I should know better than to ask a dumb question here...but I can take the abuse!! LOL

Default Run it

Then pick up a wind jammer from a YJ and you will be set!

Forum Leader

Knowing what bends and creases are in the bulkhead which add to it's strength, I think you're fine without the top on it. There's not going to be anything putting pressure on it just driving down the road.

Icon5a There are no stupid questions.

I ran the bulkhead in my 81 scrambler all last summer with a bikini top. It dont hurt a thing. If it is installed right it will not vibrate or anything. Did you herculine the bulkhead? Just wondering.
    Down to one jeep at the moment.
    81 scrambler, new Brown copper metallic paint, new decals, black steel wheels, black half top, wide trac conversion with auto-lockers and 1 piece axle shafts, ignition upgrade, black pipe bumpers, etc.
    SOLD 2007 JK wrangler unlimited 4 door, cruiser alloy wheels, airraid cold air intake, JVC head unit:jammin:
    SOLD 2004 Wrangler "Willys Edition"
    Wrecked and totaled 06 rubicon unlimited rubitrux

Registered

I always pull mine out when I take the 1/2 cab off for warm weather. I run a bikini top (on the Jeep) and put a back seat in. I add a CJ windjammer, if I'm expecting really bad weather when driving.

My summer set-up....
    John N
    1981 Scrambler Dana 44's w/ARBs F & R, AMC 360 w/TBI, TF999, Dana 300 clocked & twin sticked w/4:1, RE 4.5" XD lift, etc........
    Plus.... 2 Grand Cherokees 2008 Overland (DD), 2002 (sons), CJ-7 (in pieces) and 3 off brand 4x4s...

Registered

bulkhead is already lined on the bed side...so i'll prolly do the inside while I'm doing the interior.

thanks for all the advice

In the last 6 years, I've had the hardtop on just 1 or 2 weekends.

The rest of the time I'm topless and doorless WITH the bulkhead installed.
    1985 CJ-8 Laredo
    Becoming a little less stock (4.0 HO head, MPI, D44 rear, stereo)