Thread: 1964 Willy's Utility Wagon 4x4

Default 1964 Willy's Utility Wagon 4x4

I recently acquired a 1964 Willys Utility Wagon 4x4; I have no previous history on the wagon although it does show the last inspection was 1990. The mileage shows 62,561 I do not know if it is actual or not. I have tried to show the vehicles condition for what it is, rusty but nearly complete. With a battery and a "jump" wire the engine does turn over, but the gas tank was removed by the previous owner after finding it to be full of rust. Although the rockers, well openings, and front floors are rusty the rear floor pans inner wheel tubs and frame appear to be in much better shape. If you would like to review the vehicle in person (which i do prefer) I am available anytime. If you would like any additional photos please feel free to email any requests.

Price- $1000.00usd
    Email- steve.barber@classicautomotiverestoration.com
    Location- Belews Creek, NC
    Phone- 336.416.2582

I also have more photos than those listed below, let me know if you have any requests.

Any idea on a better place to list this forsale?

willystech web site when they get it recovered from their site crash.
    2007 Jeep Commander Limited, 2001 Jeep Cherokee 60th Anniversary Edition, 1955 Willys Jeep Pickup (Restoration Project): Photos & Specifications

Registered

You sure it is a 1964? It has the L226 Hurricane flathead motor. The '64 wagon came with the 230 OHC Tornado motor.
    Kurt V
    2002 TJ
    1960 Willys Wagon 4x4

I dont know much about these, it was listed as a '64 on the Bill of Sale. Any way to check using the VIN?

Ebay buyer has disappeared, can anyone help me confirm the year? Then I would like to put it back up forsale before I have the itch to blow lots of $$$ on it...

Thank you,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by hoodrichxj View Post
    Ebay buyer has disappeared, can anyone help me confirm the year? Then I would like to put it back up forsale before I have the itch to blow lots of $$$ on it...

Thank you,

Steve
    IIRC Back then the year of the Willys was the year it was first sold, not the model year for which it was built. So a 59 Willys that may not have gotten sold until 1964 was listed and first registered as a 1964!
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

I believe laybackman is correct, but it is prior to 62 if that is the original motor, 62-65 had a 230, not that hurricane 6. and I believe 1956 was the only year that had the un-evenly spaced grill. I would have to guess that vehicle is a late 1960 or 1961 based on the trim, 1 piece windshield, and motor.

You could read up more on it here
    http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/id.html

-Paul
    www.bulltear.com for all your amc needs

[QUOTE=pyagid2;8298972]I believe laybackman is correct, but it is prior to 62 if that is the original motor, 62-65 had a 230, not that hurricane 6. and I believe 1956 was the only year that had the un-evenly spaced grill. I would have to guess that vehicle is a late 1960 or 1961 based on the trim, 1 piece windshield, and motor.

You could read up more on it here
    http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/id.html

-Paul[/QUOTE

According to the above web site when Kaiser-Frazer bought Willys, who had been bought out by Overland, they lost track of production statistics. There are no production statistics on wagons after 1961. If you look at the production stats for 1961 they made 4 or 5 wagons that year? I bought the exact looking model in 1969. The guy who sold it to me told me it came with three motors the F4, F6 and the OHC6. His had the OHC tornado but said he wished he had opted for the Hurricane 6 and was supposedly a 1964 Utility Wagon. They also made a Wagoneer with a fancier side trim and better upholstery than the ultra thick vinyl seating which was tough as nails, loved it.

Kaiser having bought Overland sold this model in 1963 and 4 but started production of the J series in 1964 with the 6-230 OHC. The defining features of the Box Wagon are a slightly curved front windshield, single piece rear window and the widow's peak front finders which I think make it a late 63 or 4. I traded my wagon for a 1973 AMC Jeep Commando which I still have. It has the AMC 304 V8 with the GMC Hydramatic, TH400, my 1988 Chevy One ton pickup had the same transmission... good grief! Just for general information it's my belief they changed the front end of the jeepster to accommodate the AMC straight 6s, the 232 and 258 and auto transmission, I was told the buick V6 odd fires were dogs, they had no torque and were gas hogs thats why the straight 6s. Previous to AMC, Jeepsters either had a V6 or an F4.

Quote Originally Posted by MMmel View Post
    Just for general information it's my belief they changed the front end of the jeepster to accommodate the AMC straight 6s, the 232 and 258 and auto transmission, I was told the buick V6 odd fires were dogs, they had no torque and were gas hogs thats why the straight 6s. Previous to AMC, Jeepsters either had a V6 or an F4.
    You must be kidding! The Buick, later Kaiser, V6s were extremely high-performance engines that are sought after even today...and after AMC discontinued their manufacture, GM bought back the line and drawings; it's the basis for the 90-degree V6s they make today.

AMC discontinued the engine for several reasons - the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome and to keep peace with their own workers in their engine plant. Jeep was not seen at that time as a high-performance vehicle, and the bean-counters at AMC thought they could do as well with their similar-displacement Rambler engine.

Over the years, the 1966 Rambler in-line morphed into the HO 4.0...but even after all that time, it never caught up to the power and torque standards of the old Buick mill.

You are right about the redesign of the front end of the Commando. Amazing that AMC would rather redesign a vehicle then re-think their engine choices, abandoning a superior engine made by the company they had just purchased.

Well Passin I don't know. I've done a little study on that v6 it's the bases of many gm engines, smaller, larger, front wheel drive and boats. My brother in laws 1989 Buick Reatta has that 3800cc (232ci) v6 front wheel drive. It started out as a 302 or 305 v8, they cropped off the #s 7 and 8 cylinders, like the Volvo-Peugot-Renault v6 putt, putt, putt, both odd fire. Later they fixed that so it ran more smoothly but not Volvo they went down in flames instead. I guess if they are not running right or using the old ignition system, a 25k coil non-electronic and points, people could do a good job of cursing their very poor gas mileage. They'd Rip them out and plug in a chevy v8. There were times I hated my 230 OHC, no power, but it seemed if you stayed on top of it, it ran great. Too much accelerator up hill and you'd might a well get out and push. The biggest improvement to the 230 was an high out put coil. That added 5 mpg. Just like the AMC 304, in my opinion it's a D.O.G.! Nothing helps that sucker work better, camshaft, carb, removing the smog stuff, or 45K volt coil, 12mpg at best so with a 15 gallon tank you're always looking for a gas station on long trips.

The year of the vehicle, can be found by the serial number. I just can't seem to find that info. now !

The grill shows it to be a or a 57-65. Not a 56. The one piece windshield shows it to be a 1960 or newer. It also could be a 1959 Maverick. The side trim looks like the trim on my 62 Pick-up. (Which may or may not, mean anything.)

The L6-226 was used in 1954-1965.

Smile 232 Cu In engines

This is the info. that I have:

The 232 and 258 engines are inline (straight) sixes made by AMC.

The 225 is an early Buick V-6 used in Jeeps.

The 231 Buick V-6 is a popular swap into Jeeps but, it is not factory.

The newer Buick 3800 is a 231.

The 231 debuted in 1975 and was installed in the famed Buick Grand National in the late 80's . (with a turbo)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine#Dauntless

If I am wrong somewhere, please let me know.