Thread: 2.1L Renault

Registered

Default 2.1L Renault

Does anyone know the kind of power the turbo 2.1 diesel put out let me rephrase that does it have eanough power to get me to highway speeds? I'm looking for a commuting vehicle to get good milage and I found an 85 cherokee with the turbodiesel for $500 (spun a rod bearing) but has 2 spare motors that just need a head.

Just wondering if any of you have experience with the motor.
    99 WJ Limited

i think it was like 90hp or something like that...
    slate 5.9 Limited, 8" long arm, 285's, 8.8-Artec truss, 231/SYE w/Novak, straight piped, Durango 160A alt, Optima Red, ZG markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, Vortech supercharger & 5 speed swap awaiting to be installed

Stone white 5.9 on 30" AT's, 231, glass ECE's w/custom harness, clear corners, tinted, u jointed shafts

Registered

WTF?! Where did you come across a jewel like that?

For $500, BUY IT!!!

DO NOW!!!

As topless says, it is a JEWEL!!

First and foremost, yes,it will produce enough 'horsepower' to push that shoebox thru the air at 75mph. Barely.
    But don't let that 90 hp scare you. A diesel fo that capacity is extremely powerful in the measure that counts: TORQUE.

Here's the deal:
    We grew up with gasoline engines, and think of engines in terms of horsepower.
    Whether the motor in question is gas, diesel, electric, steam, or whatever, our brains go to 'horsepower' to concieve of an engine's power.

Diesel's don't produce as much 'horsepower' per revolution per liter as similar gasoline engines.
    But when you look at the 'power curves' of two engines, the diesel absolutely SOARS in the torque values.

And it is TORQUE which is the rating of the pulling power that any motor produces.

HP is what moves air out of the way, when you're rolling down the highway at 75 mph; and the XJ is so worthless aerodynamically that it needs many more hp than, say, a small, smooth Camry or Focus.
    The Camry, with a 2.0 4-cyl gas engine producing about 140 hp, is grossly 'over-powered' in terms of horsepower necessary for highway velocity; in fact, it will prolly top-out at about 120 (which of course is unsafe for any Camry in anybody's hands on the highway).
    But the 2.0 Camry's TORQUE is just barely adequate for decent pickup from a stop light, and does mebbe 0-60 in 9 secs.

At any given engine speed, a diesel makes much more torque compared to its hp, when compared to a gas engine.
    So the little 90 hp diesel is gonna give stump-pulling torque for acceleration, both straight-line from a stop light, and when climbing a steep highway with the cargo area filled, and when crawling over a ledge or downed tree.
    You'll also get the same 0-60 in 9 secs as the Camry; never gonna dust a 'Vette that does 0-60 in 5.0 secs, but you're never gonna be embarrased, either.

And the Diesel XJ's are EXTREMELY RARE and highly sought-after; with air in the tires and decent marketing, that XJ (assuming it isn't a rust-bucket) will re-sell tomorrow for $2k because of the diesel.

Gor for it, and good luck!
    -Rick

That XJ looks like a nice buy but the Renault 2.1 TD doesn't have enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding. There are better diesel engines out there that you could swap in, and one of them is the Italian-made VM Motori 2.5 TD that was used in '94+ XJs. If you can get one together with an AX5 manual tranny, you'll have far more torque than the crappy Renault engine could ever offer.

1992 XJ 4.6L "Poor Man's" Stroker
    202rwhp @ 4700rpm (248bhp)
    258rwtq @ 3400rpm (311lbft)
    1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 94.4, 3450lb curb
    AX15, NP231, D30/D35
    Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Registered

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall......................Torque is how far you take the wall with you!!
    88 xj 5in lift/33 mtrs, c8.25, d30 np231sye AX-15
    ...........and a 4.6 stroker! 256K miles...
    01 wj bone stock...sold
    86 Porsche 951 summer time fun
    87 Porsche 944S chipped, sewer caps (traded)
    79 Porsche 924 total restoration.....sold

The Renault 2.1 TD was rated at a weak 85hp @ 3750 rpm, 132lbft @ 2750 rpm. Compare that to the 116hp @ 4000rpm and 207lbft @ 2000rpm that the VM 2.5 TD produced in the '94-'96 XJ ('97-'01 was rated at 114hp @ 3750rpm and 221lbft @ 2000rpm) and you see why the 2.1 TD is NOT a sensible choice in a 3500lb SUV with the aerodynamics of a brick.

Registered

just out of curiosity does anyone know how many of these wre sold in the united states?
    99 WJ Limited

Registered
    Port Clinton, OH, right on the south shore of Lake Erie

Well, if you decide not to buy it, let me know, I'll snap it up, I'm in a similar boat, I'll be needing a DD soon that I can afford to drive the long round trip commute I do each day..
    SGNellett, 02 TJ "LUCY" 3" BDS w/ quick disco's, 33x12.5x15's on Chrome Steel Tailgunners, K&N CAI, Tomkens front & rear w/ swing away tire carrier

Registered

If you don't buy it, I'd love to get me hands on it!!

AR.

Registered

Sory guys some other guy put a deposit down on it right after I took a look at it. It had it's fair share of rust and a really bad musty smell, like a dead animal had been sitting in the back seat the last 6 years it was sitting. I also figured since it's main job would be a daily driver I should find something more reliable with more parts available.
    99 WJ Limited

Registered

Just came across one on ebay. While searching for info about it, I dug up this thread. Not enough power for my needs, but if any of you guys want it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...fCarsQ5fTrucks