Thread: Recommended Tire Pressure

Default Recommended Tire Pressure

My GC came with 235/65R16 tires on it. I would usually keep around 35 psi in the tires. I recently changed them out for a set of A/T tires. The new size is 245/65R17. It's a slightly bigger tire and the sidewall says it has a max psi of 44. The tire shop that put them on only put 33 psi in them and said that's what the manufactuer recommended for this size. Those of you that have this size, what psi do you usually run. thanks in advance.
    2006 Grand Cherokee Limited-5.7L Hemi-Brute Force CAI-Magnaflow 22" Muffler-Diablosport Predator-SRT8 Rear Sway Bar-Bilsteins-Shorty Billet Antenna-Chrome Turn Signals-Chrome Tow Hooks-Roof Rack-SS Ultras Highs/Lows/Fogs-Commander Shift Knob-20% Tint

Registered

I have the 245/65R17 from the factory and the door says 33 psi so the tire shop was right.
    98 Sport TJ 4.0L
    Chile Pepper Red with Black Dual Tops
    31" BFG A/T

05 Grand Cherokee WK 3.7L
    Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat
    245/70/R17 Bridgestone Revos

X2!
    Rob

007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X;
    De-Badged; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut Brace; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1 Visor Mount; Stingray Valve Caps; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63 w/Amsoil filter; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20's w/Parada 255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Green Halos;

If your WK came with the 235/65s, you may want to have the dealer change the tire size in the computer. The 245/65/17 is a larger (OEM) size that you can update. This will help with any speedo and shift point differences. They will be minor, but you may as well correct them. ( That way, your WK is squared-away)

Recommended tire pressure can be found on your front driver door on just about any automobile.
    Sold: (Miss her already)
    '06 WK Laredo 4x4, Silver, 4.7 V8, QTII, Mods: 1.25" Billet spacers, RR 2.25 Lift, BFG 265/70/17 A/T KOs, Mopar skid plate.
    To be done: 4xGuard goodies, T-Max winch & on-board air. Matrix BG?? AEV BB lift EGR module??

'08 Chevy Ext. Cab, 5.3 V8 w/constant MDS, Z71 4x4, black, lots options.

'07 Mazda CX-7, Pearl white, Turbo 4banger, Wifes

Registered

I take the door recomended pressures as a starting point.

I am currently at 42psi and very happy.

I felt that the door recomended pressure was too low and let the tire move too much.

I am watching for odd tire wear but since I tend to tow or haul with my jeep I figure everyone just has to adjust tire pressure for how they use the jeep.

I don't know what the weight of the crd is compared to the gassers but maybe that has something to do with it as well.

I keep my LTX M/S tires @ 35 psi (cold); so far there have been no problems with abnormal wear, poor ride/handling, or traction.

I think 42 is way too high. Keep in mind, your tires heat up as you drive, therefor the pressure also rises. You may prematurely wear the tread. I usually keep them around 35.