Thread: 1991 Jeep Cherokee Transmission Fluid

Default 1991 Jeep Cherokee Transmission Fluid

I'm buying a 1991 Jeep cherokee need to change fluid was wondering what type i need to put back in?

Icon314 Trans Fluid

if i'm not mistaken it is ATF +3
    1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 (stock for now)

Quote Originally Posted by jamjs4 View Post
    I'm buying a 1991 Jeep cherokee need to change fluid was wondering what type i need to put back in?
    If its an auto use Dex/Merc not ATF3. Check the owners manual. My 89 and 98 both used it. Its a AW4 trans and requires the Dex/Merc.
    98 XJ Limited with Upcountry package, leather, blah blah.

Gone ----> 89 XJ White Pioneer 180,000 and running strong. Little sister has it now.

"Takes a lickin', keeps on leakin'"

This topic has been beat to death. You are going to get alot of different responses. The latest TSB from Chrysler says that ATF+4 is recommended for the AW4 tranny. I recently had my tranny flushed and the dealership refilled it with a multi-vehicle ATF that is compatible with both Dexron and ATF.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=937773
    1998 XJ, 4.0L, Auto, Dana 30/Chrysler 8.25 4.10 gears Detroit Locker in rear, RE 3.5" Super-Flex kit, RE SYE, and 31/10.50/15 BFG Mt's.