Thread: 03 Hardtop on a 99TJ Hardtop Wiring Adapter

Default 03 Hardtop on a 99TJ Hardtop Wiring Adapter

Ok I got the adapter from Jeepsareus but the wiring schematic they gave me is a bit confusing.Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Scott

69 Camaro Convertible 427 5SPD
    04 Rubicon(Clayton with Genright 5" stretch)
    05 Dodge 3500 4X4 CTD 8'Bed

Figured it out

maybe you could write out what you thought was confusing and how you figured it out, so when people in the future search for a problem like this they wont just stumble upon a dead thread

04TJElectricLimeGreen,4.0,5-Speed,HPD30,8.8,Detroit Locker,4.88,RockCrusherRearDynatracFrontDiffCovers ,ClaytonLongArm,RE3.5"Coils,RERearBilsteinFrontSho cks,ClaytonHDTrackBar,DropBracket+DropPitman,JKS1. 25"BL,SynergyBallJoints,AlloyUSAAxleShaftSeals,Cla ytonTransfer/EngineSkidCombo,CurrieLowerControlArmSkids,RESYE,O MESS,GenRightSteeringBoxSkid,JKSHDExtendedBrakeLin es,AntirockwithAlumArms,Currie1"MML,Highlines,37"M axxisCreepyCrawlers,ProComp7089 16x8",AtoZFab44"FrontBumper,PSCRearStinger,PSCTrai lCorners,Herculined7"OmixFlares,CustomCowlIntake,I nfinityKappaSpeakers,Tint,DeltaH4QuadbarXenonHeadl ights,HellaBlackMagicDrivingLights,LiteDots,DShack les,HerculinedTub,1966M416

Figure out which body side adapter yours looks like and take each wire out and replace in the same spot
    #1 wire gets put into #1..#3 wire goes into #3 spot.... ect ect
    you will end up with two wires you wont need which are for the dome light on the hardtop

well that didnt work.....I get the washer to work but nothing else....
    Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by provfirescott View Post
    Ok I got the adapter from Jeepsareus but the wiring schematic they gave me is a bit confusing.Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Scott

Can anyone let me know on there hardtop harness what terminals have power when the defroster switch is activated and also the wiper switch.
    For some reason the wiper isnt working and neither is the defroster.
    Thanks

Did you hook up the grounds?...
    "Here's my strategy on the Cold War:
    We win, they lose."
    - Ronald Reagan-

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
    Did you hook up the grounds?...
    I used all the wires except a pink and a yellow...

From one fireman to another, don't give up. I just did the same thing. Only mine was almost the opposite. I installed an '02 hard top on an '04 jeep. We bought the complete wiring harness from jeep and it came with a completely different plug than what was on the hard top. We got the correct plug from Jeep and simply cut the plug off of the harness that comes from the front and, installed the new plug on that harness and it then correctly mated up to the older hard top. All that was used was (5) wires. It took a little time but, it all works fine including all the switches etc. I'm assuming it'll work the opposite for you. Good luck and stay safe in your work.
    SR....SDFD
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by BiG_BooGeR View Post
    maybe you could write out what you thought was confusing and how you figured it out, so when people in the future search for a problem like this they wont just stumble upon a dead thread
    Special thanks to Kurt at Baystatejeepers for this info just so it isnt a "dead Thread"

I have the FSM's here and I beleive it should be wired as follows...

6 pin connector pin 1 to 10 pin conector pin 1
    6 pin connector pin 3 to 10 pin conector pin 3
    6 pin connector pin 4&5 to 10 pin conector pin 4&5
    6 pin connector pin 6 to 10 pin conector pin 6

From what I can tell pins 8 & 9 in the 10 pin connector are for the dome light.
    It appears the 06 hardtop does not have a dome light so they remain disconnected - as far as I can tell.

FYI...
    The +12 for the defroster is on pin 1 (controlled by the defrost switch & timer)
    The Start/stop signal for the wiper is on pin 3 (+12 to start the wiper, Gnd to stop/park the wiper)
    Pins 4&5 should be +12 all the time (for the wiper)
    Pin 6 is ground for the wiper and defroster

Bringing an old thread back to life. I've been searching but have not found exactly what I need though this is on the brink. I have a 98 Sport and just finished fixing my '04 hardtop and have it mounted now. I took apart my dash and found some sort of wiring harness clipped into the back of the filler plug where I think either the wiper or defrost switch should go. I looked around the backside where I think there should be some hardtop wiring hidden but have not found anything. Do all, I know this word "all" when DC is involved can be tough but do all TJ's come with the same basic harness that can be added to when needed? Does anyone know what that little switch piece may be hidden behind the dash?
    "Stop Global Whining"

Soft top only jeeps are not wired for the wiper and defrost.

Registered

You may have seen the thread I started today about hardtop wiring. I saw that same connector you are talking about, but have no idea what it's for. The wiring for the hardtop is a lot more involved than that. If your Jeep didn't originally have a hardtop, you either have to get an overlay harness, or try to fine a OEM harness from a Jeep the same year as yours. Good luck
    98 TJ 2" BDS 132k SOLD
    00 TJ stock 78K
    96 XJ RIP, damn drunk drivers
    98 XJ traded in
    04 WJ stock 145K
    93 YJ RIP

I've seen some kits now that offer the windshield washer bottle with both nipples for front and rear as well as the switch for the pump and wiper. Seems like 160 is about the going rate. This is the first time I've read that soft top only TJ's were not wired for the extras but it isn't too tough to believe. Oh well, I've got a hard top now and that's a big step.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Registered

if you buy an overlay harness make sure you buy the one specific to your year Jeep, The wiring was a little different between '98,'99,'00. Not major changes, but enough to be a pain. You will also have to read up on the adapter to be able to plug your overlay harness into the hardtop harness of a different year top.
    98 TJ 2" BDS 132k SOLD
    00 TJ stock 78K
    96 XJ RIP, damn drunk drivers
    98 XJ traded in
    04 WJ stock 145K
    93 YJ RIP

Yeah, I've seen the plug changes which doens't look too tough. Going to have to put the harness on the back burner, the hardtop goes in for new side glass tomorrow. Getting the dark tint glass installed with trim for 144.00 plus tax, just about the same price as the harness I now need. Like I said though, I have a hard top so the coming winter will be better no matter what. At least I'll be able to use a gas station window washing station without trashing the plastic.
    "Stop Global Whining"