Thread: whats the largest size tire that can fit stock?

Default whats the largest size tire that can fit stock?

on a 99 gc with 16" wheels. currently i have 245/70/16. i need new tires and without doing any kind of a lift i want to get pretty close to the biggest tire i can fit stock. thanks
    99 limited bright platinum metallic

ive been looking through the stickied tire thread and it looks like 255/70/16 is the biggest to fit stock. will 255/75/16 fit?

searches will do wonders for a newbie
    '04 Blue Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition. IRO 5.5" Long Armed. 32" STT M/T's. Carolina Driveline Front DS. Rubicon Express Mono-Tubes. JKS Quick Disco's. 1.25" Spidertrax. Projectors. CAI, Tint, and Alpine/Kicker Audio.

'04 Stone White Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 H.O. Stock. 245/70/17 SilentArmor AT's

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ray View Post
    Finally: Be aware that most of the experts on this forum are 16 years old and their 'built Jeep' is actually their soccer-mommy's factory stock Honda Minivan complete with Baby on Board and Green Peace stickers that they only get to drive to the library after they've cleaned up the last of the lima beans on their plate.

Quote Originally Posted by KMHogan224 View Post
    searches will do wonders for a newbie

lol been there. seems that most ppl dont really know what size tire will fit what.

with a sawzall, you can fit what ever size you want with the stock suspension... but as was said, 255/70/16 is about the largest that'll fit w/out rubbing.
    2004 Rubicon
    OME HD springs - OME shocks - RE front/rear adjustable Superflex LCAs - Rusty's adjustable front UCAs -
    Full Traction rear tri-link conversion - Rusty's quick disconnects - JKS 1.25" BL - JKS 1" MML - Nth diff skid -
    Iron Rock Off Road HD tie-rod - Warn M8000 - Tom Wood's rear CV shaft - Rokmen high clearance belly skid -
    Rokmen Mercenary Sliders - Rokmen engine/tranny skid - Rokmen steering box skid - Rokmen Mercenary front bumper

RIP: 2004 WJ w/ 5.5" long arms and other stuff - purpose built and beat to hell

Member of Jeeps Gone Wild

Registered

i just put 245/75-16's on the wifes WJ and it only rubs at full right lock in reverse. Haven't had it off road yet and probably won't ever do any major trail rides with it so i'm not to worried about it.
    '04 WJ
    Pretty much stock- its good that way-

Quote Originally Posted by cgarcia View Post
    i just put 245/75-16's on the wifes WJ and it only rubs at full right lock in reverse. Haven't had it off road yet and probably won't ever do any major trail rides with it so i'm not to worried about it.
    hmm i wonder if going from 70 to 75 is too wide? after SEARCHING everyones answer to tire size im still not certain what size fits what. ive seen some say 265/70/16 will fit fine. now 245/75/16 rubs?

from what ive seen regarding tires im coming to the conclusion that 255/70/16 is the biggest without rub.

and i dont have up country

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by wsmith99Lmtd. View Post
    hmm i wonder if going from 70 to 75 is too wide? ... ive seen some say 265/70/16 will fit fine. now 245/75/16 rubs?
    You're talking about sidewall height, not width.

As for the 265/70/16 vs. 245/75/16 comparison - the 265's are only a fraction of an inch taller (about 30.5 vs. 30.4). Google "tire size calculator" if this confuses you.

Can't someone put a table together with this info and sticky it?

Registered

Matt, my 245-75/16s (stock) don't look like there is 3/4" from the tread to the front cowling / fender. I was thinking about going bigger too until I saw this.....BTW....GO HOKIES..!!!