Thread: Whining noise at certain speed

Default Whining noise at certain speed

2000 Limited, Selectrac, 4.7 V8, 85k miles.

At a certain fairly high steady speed, I get a whining noise. Starts at about 55, loudest at 60 and diminishes to 65 when it goes away.

If I'm accelerating, no noise. It only occurs if at steady speed or on decel. Only happens in that 10 mph window. Quiet at 50 and at 70.

Noise seems to be coming from under the tranny or xfer case area. Definitely not the rear axle.

Anyone know what's up? I've never had Selectrac before, understand it's rare with V8 limited; could it be the transfer case? I can't tell exactly where it's coming from; could be trans.

Don't think it's the front axle, I drive in 2wd on the highway (and 99% of the time anyway).

Don't want to damage anything.

Please don't tell me to just drive below 55 and above 65. Trying to figure what's wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

how olds the fluid in the transfer case? have you checked it?
    99 grand cherokee...mine...gone... now its a 2011 toyota tacoma sport... double cab longbed 4.0 and the are cap to match... im loving it !

98 grand cherokee...wifes
    nothing special just jeeps.....

"GET THERE FAST BUT ARRIVE ALIVE "

automation is the future of manufacturing in the USA... if youre a box packer youre screwed. get educated now

my jeeps gone. two engines were just too much to handle. now i got me a toyota lets see how long that lasts

Icon313

Quote Originally Posted by fixer5000 View Post
    how olds the fluid in the transfer case? have you checked it?
    Should have mentioned that. Flushed and changed fluids/lubes in both axles, auto tranny and transfer case about a year/8,000 mi ago. The old flluid/lube looked fine.
    94 5.2 Ltd.
    00 4.7 Ltd. Selec-trac
    98 5.9 Ltd.
    95 5.2 Ltd.
    62 CJ-5 - Chev 283 V8 - OD

Bump - anyone had this happen? Impending failure?
    Thanks.
    94 5.2 Ltd.
    00 4.7 Ltd. Selec-trac
    98 5.9 Ltd.
    95 5.2 Ltd.

Icon316 does it sound like....

<nasal tone> "slow down your going to fast" </nasal tone>? if so it is your wife...just tell her to quit whining
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    5.9 THE BEST OF THE BEST! #2 5.9 on the GC Board!
    its time for a new party in America.....the TEA PARTY!

Right Wing Extremist TrojanMan06's Avatar

well i have a 93 zj and it also has the whine(for now) and its the front diff. even if you drive in 2wd the axles and gears are still turning. There just not being driven. Sounds just like my problem. Except that you have 85k and mine has 293,000 miles. But weird and unfortunate things do happen.

mine does this too.
    its done it since the day i got it.
    i think its just the t-case gears
    -John-
    -I'm 22 and learning.

-96 ZJ 5.2L V8
    - Lifted 5" on Long arms with plenty of fun stuff

Senior at The Ohio State University

Could it be a u-joint in front driveshaft?
    94 5.2 Ltd.
    00 4.7 Ltd. Selec-trac
    98 5.9 Ltd.
    95 5.2 Ltd.

Right Wing Extremist TrojanMan06's Avatar

Icon316

Quote Originally Posted by Tcar45 View Post
    Could it be a u-joint in front driveshaft?
    I bad U joint would make vibrations rather than a whine. But it wont hurt to check it all.

I had a similar problem at the same speeds until they changed one of the wheelbearings (front) and it was gone. Maybe something to look at?

'99 4.0 Laredo with select-trac, 136,000 miles. Great car.

Good luck.

yea my first thought was wheel bearing you have rear ones too lol had same sysmptoms replaced beaings it was gone parts are cheap labour is not i got all of mine changed on my old jeep front and back 320 and a bottle of jack
    1998~5.9-ZJ~2'BB-runicon~31' BF A/T~4.56 kodiaks~242 Tcase~180 T-stat~Shift Kit-transgo
    coming soon 4" lift,intake,33's bf/at,throttle body

Could also be the crown & pinion. Lots of vehicles get that from these. If it really annoys you that much look for another gear set with the same ratio and try them. We did that for my Challengers resto, lots of them whine, the one I have now doesn't, it's boxed as Yukon but we all know they're basically cut at the same place. My 0.02c
    1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport
    1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T
    2006 Dodge Ram SRT/10 aka "The Batram"

thanks...

Anyone know how to find a whine?

First thought is to have a garage put it on a lift and run it at 60 mph. Use a stethescope. Wouldn't be a load on the components, but it might still whine.
    94 5.2 Ltd.
    00 4.7 Ltd. Selec-trac
    98 5.9 Ltd.
    95 5.2 Ltd.

i had a similar problem on my 2000 v8 limited. i could usually only hear it when the windows were down at any steady speed above 30mph and it ended up being the front left CV joint. take a look there might be some grease slinging out. it happened a couple of years ago so i could be thinking of something else (you know how "the jeep thing" goes) but it doesn't hut taking a look.

2004 Overland it was the pinion bearing in the transfer case. Then they changed the rear gears and it seems okay. There is a tightness and slight hum at 50 mph then it goes away...from the front end but I had the same thing on all for GC's i have owned.

Present : 2005 Limited Hemi - Kahki
    Present : 2004 Overland - Graphite
    Previous : 2004 Rocky Mountain - Black
    Previous : 2002 Limited - Garnet
    Previous : 2000 Loredo - Shale

I have exactly same problem. It really drive me crazy. Have you fixed it. I want to share with you.

Registered

Seems Chrysler had a problem with preload on the pinion bearing. They don't put enough on it when assembled and when it breaks in it has too much clearance and does its whiney thing. I have had many with the same noise.
    My 2000 Limited makes it too. There is a TSB on it somewhere I remember reading it. Doesn't seem to bother it much cause I have ran them thousands of miles and they never get any worse.

Good Luck...
    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport / Offroad 5.9L Auto
    2002 Audi A6 Avant Quattro 3.0L Tiptronic

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan06 View Post
    I bad U joint would make vibrations rather than a whine. But it wont hurt to check it all.
    Maybe not the u-joint, but look and see if the boot over the cv has failed (you'll have a spray of grease on the underside of the car). Whe my front drive shaft went, it produced a whine very similar to what my front diff did when it was low on fluid...

Quote Originally Posted by Logicus View Post
    Maybe not the u-joint, but look and see if the boot over the cv has failed (you'll have a spray of grease on the underside of the car). Whe my front drive shaft went, it produced a whine very similar to what my front diff did when it was low on fluid...
    I've replaced the front dirve shaft today. Not thing changed. The sound still there. The wheel bearing also checked today, looks at great condition. Any suggestion??

Registered
    Lansing, Michigan From: Bowling Green, KY

I know I had a whine for long time, which seemed to be especially noticeable during deceleration. I had one of my diffs rebuilt, or at least the pinion bearings replaced, but can't really remember which diff. From what I gathered, it was a pretty common problem. Other than the whine, I had no other symptoms. I had an extended warranty that covered the repair.
    '01 4.7 Limited Up Country, Front & Rear Addco Sway Bars, Pro Comp MX-6 Shocks, K&N FIPK With 9" AEM Dry Flow Filter, Akebono Front Calipers, Stillen Rotors & Pads, Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Kolak 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust With Magnaflow 12589 Muffler