Thread: cork or rubber?? new valve cover gasket

Registered

Default cork or rubber?? new valve cover gasket

just checking first...i am about to put on my new alum. valve cover but what gasket is better? cork or rubber? the one that came with the cover is broken in one corner.so i have to buy a new one. i suppose when they packed the unitthey over bent it.. any special procedure to make sure it is sealed right? hi-temp sealant? it is torque to 22 lbs right? thanks for the help in advance...

Registered

258ci? If so, the cork gasket will probably be too thin so go with the rubber foam one. I had this problem on my CJ-8 when switched to the aluminum cover. My dad put the cork one on and it was too thin so the valve cover was hitting the head in places. Got the rubber foam one with 3 layers and its golden.
    '73 CJ-5, 401ci., T18, 33 BFG M/T
    '83 CJ-8, all stock and original. Belongs to dad.
    and soon to be XJ owner!

i got the thinner 7/16"? cork gasket and put it on late this summer to stop a exon-valdezesque oil leak. I smeared black RTV on the valve-cover side of the gasket and stuck it on to the cover itself and let it set up for a few minutes

No RTV between the gasket and the head itself. Nice and dry - no leaks.

This is on a 77 with a steel valvecover. No idea about the plastic covers circa 1980s.
    ~Dan
    1998 XJ Classic
    Black 4.0 AW4 auto. 3.5" RE w/ 31x10.50xr15 Firestone Destination A/Ts on American Racing Outlaw I wheels.

1977 CJ7 "LulaBelle" - euthanized due to frame rust -parting out

1967 Dodge Dart "Z-Eater"
    bronze 2 dr. hardtop, 360, auto 904, eddy aluminum heads, eddy RPM intake manifold, 750cfm 4bbl eddy carb, headers, transgo2 shift-kit, B&M megashifter, 8 3/4 3.91SG diff, Optima red-top, fiberglass 6-pack scoop hood

Registered

if you use rtv, I have had great results with the Dynatex RTV as opposed to the Permatex that is sold at Autozone-type stores. Dynatex is the one that smells really bad like vinegar, but I have never had a leak with it from my entire drivetrain.
    I used a cork valve cover gasket with Dynatex on both sides. RTV tends to make the cork slippery, so don't over torque the bolts too soon - let it set up.

Icon5a

Where o' where did you find a rubber valve cover gasket?! I have been searching for one for a long time for a 1980 CJ7, 258 in-line 6.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by ColoCJ7 View Post
    Where o' where did you find a rubber valve cover gasket?! I have been searching for one for a long time for a 1980 CJ7, 258 in-line 6.
    4wd.com

Part # VS50061
    and soon to be XJ owner!

Icon5a Thank you

Thank you Sydwaiz !!

hey man I made somewhat of a help page for changing out to an aluminum valve cover when I did mine. Check out

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/1995gmc/vc.html

Let me know if you have any questions
    -Matt
    1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee "ZJ"
    5.2 liter V8
    Chrysler 300 Dual Electric Fans
    231 Transfer Case Swap
    2.5" Rough Country BB
    31x10.50 Goodyear Wranglers
    RLC Fabrication Front Winch Bumper

Registered

So Matt, in your valve cover install you did not use the supplied cork gasket? Just the high temp Dynatex Red? I just want to make sure before I attempt it this weekend! Thanks in advance!
    99 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, currently stock
    82 CJ-5, 4.2L, 31x10.5 AT's, D30 solid M20 locked, T176, D300, Warn M8000, GM HEI, MC 2100

Registered

An observation of mtm's install, his valve cover does not have lips hanging down to keep the gasket from sliding out. My aluminum cover did and this is why I needed the thicker rubber gasket as the lips were hitting the head in places. So if your cover has lips hanging down you'll still need the thicker gasket or grind the lips off flush with the flange. YMMV
    and soon to be XJ owner!

Jeepnmike, I used the supplied cork gasket that came with the kit. It's was about 1/4" thick and works great.
    -Matt
    1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee "ZJ"
    5.2 liter V8
    Chrysler 300 Dual Electric Fans
    231 Transfer Case Swap
    2.5" Rough Country BB
    31x10.50 Goodyear Wranglers
    RLC Fabrication Front Winch Bumper

If you use the cork gasket check your torque a week or so later. I had to tighten as the cork compressed. I used 15 ftlbs.

1982 JEEP CJ7 Pics and Specs
    258 W/MOPAR FI, AMC20 & D30 w/4.10, T5, D300, 32"

Registered

I went with the rubber and then read how they degrade faster,,,,