Thread: 258: water dripping from tail pipe.

Default 258: water dripping from tail pipe.

I have water dripping pretty steadily from my tail pipe. Is this a sure sign of a blown headgasket? there are puffs of white smoke. Its a 74 cj5 258.

How much is "dripping pretty steadily"? Condensation is a normal by-product of the combustion process, does the exhaust smell sweet? are you loosing antifreeze and not leaving a spot? is your oil foamy and white in color? Pressure test your cooling system to see if you have ANY leaks in it. If you do then start looking.
    2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Gone but not forgotten
    1981 CJ 8, 2 1986 CJ 7's, 1990 YJ, 1998 TJ, 05 LJ

Forum Leader

Just to add to what walldo asked, when is it dripping? If it's just when the engine is warming up that is perfectly normal.

As said, condensation is a by-product of combustion. When the engine and exhaust are still relatively cool the vapor created when the fuel ignites cools enough to become a liquid instead of a gas and you see it then.

Registered

Icon5a

Hi, when does this happen? Does this happen ALL the time? How long has this been going on? NEED more info
    LG

It probably drips a drop per second. There are little white puffs of smoke, usually when the engine tries to return to idle after you hit the gas.The jeep runs like crap. It just started happening randomly one morning. It barley started and dosn't like to run. I havn't overheated or anything either. Will a compression test on each cylinder tell me if theres a blown headgasket?I havn't noticed any loss of fluids yet, but I havn't run it for more then 2 minutes like this.

Sound like a head gasket? If so, think I could do it in a day? What do I have to do with the valves?

Forum Leader

So the question still remains, when does this happen?

Is it all the time or just when the engine is warming up?

oldjeepsarebetter,

drips:
    it's pretty unlikely that fluid would make it all the way from the engine to the tailpipe if you had a head-gasket leak. What you're seeing (most likely) is the condensation from cooler air getting hit with hot exhaust and causing moisture to build up and leak out of the tail-pipe. This happens on all cars.

White smoke:
    A puff of white smoke may also just be the cold startup tendencies of your jeep.

Running like crap:
    Based on the time of year you may need to adjust the carb to account for the cooler air and changes in the gas mixtures at the pump. Winter gas is different than summer gas, and your carb needs to be adjusted to address that.

Have you had this jeep through a fall/winter cycle before? I don't know where you're located, but in most of the country the mornings are cold enough to cause all the symptoms you describe.

I'd start it up and let the jeep warm up. A head-gaskey leak alone isn't going to ruin your engine for the 10 minutes it takes to get it up to temperature. If it's a head-gasket leak there will be a ton of smoke, and it won't go away after the exhaust pipes heat up. Feather the gas to keep it running and override any bad carb settings for the time being.

Give us feedback after that on what you experience.
    ~Dan
    1998 XJ Classic
    Black 4.0 AW4 auto. 3.5" RE w/ 31x10.50xr15 Firestone Destination A/Ts on American Racing Outlaw I wheels.

1977 CJ7 "LulaBelle" - euthanized due to frame rust -parting out

1967 Dodge Dart "Z-Eater"
    bronze 2 dr. hardtop, 360, auto 904, eddy aluminum heads, eddy RPM intake manifold, 750cfm 4bbl eddy carb, headers, transgo2 shift-kit, B&M megashifter, 8 3/4 3.91SG diff, Optima red-top, fiberglass 6-pack scoop hood

Thanks Danimal. This is just at start up. It hasn't ran for more then a minute, and there is quite a bit of water in the tailpipe. Frost did just start here every night, maybe that would cause a river in the tailpipe. I don't smell anything abnormal in the exhaust. I have had it for more then a year and don't recognize any of these symptoms from previous years. It has been a while since I adjusted my carb though. I'll throw the vaccum gauge on it today and let you guys know. Thanks for your help so far!

I gave it a quick compression test today. About a month ago all the cylinders were between 135 and 150. Today they were between 115 and 130. I suppose that is probably attributed to the battery being a little weaker. They all seem within reason of each other though.