Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to hot wire a Grand Cherokee ?

Default How to hot wire a Grand Cherokee ?

Anyone know what is involved to hot wire a Grand Cherokee ?

I'm assuming I'd use 2 switches, one to jump the starter motor and one for 12 volt to the ignition coil ? I tried the old screwdriver trick on the starter's solenoid but only heard it spin.. I plan on throwing the key in the on position of course to by pass the steering wheel lock.

Anyone actually tried this ?

Don't worry I actually own the car....

nobody is going to give you this information even if they know how to

not on this website at least

why would Grand Cherokee Owners put a "How To: Steal a Grand Cherokee" writeup on a website? personally i'd rather not give out that info
    Matt

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited
    6.5" JKS/RE/IRO Long Arm, 35"s, 242J, HP30/D44a.. too much to list in a sig

Citizen

if you put the key in the ignition and turn the key to 'on' and then do the old 'screwdriver on the solenoid' trick it will fire up and run. Irregardless of whether you are in gear or not .... so make sure you are in P or N with the emerg brake set.
    it helps a lot to know this when your neutral safety switch goes **** up and the old heep won't turn over.

I won't clue you in on anything more in-depth than that. but if you can wire a ****** *** *******, you can boost a ZJ. same principles apply.

self-censored by yerz trooly. I hate hav'n to ***** kids that try to boost my ZJ
    Tiggers

Easy Ricer, There's a big difference from stealing a car, and possessing the knowledge to hot wire your own car / troubleshoot ignition or starting problems..

Anyway I learned a good bit off another site I stumbled upon... If anyone else is curious, Pm me .. and after Ricer does a background check I can pass it along

My earlier post talked about some intermittent starting problems I've been having... and I kind of wanted a backup plan so I wouldn't be stranded at some random Location-

Thanks !

I don't see how hot wiring your car is honestly going to solve your intermittent starting problems. Regardless of this situation, I wouldn't tell you even if I knew...
    Now: 11 WK2 Overland 4x4
    Past: 00WJ

If you bypass the part of the system that may be causing the problem... Or test things in different ways to understand what might not be working...

Or drive to the stealership and shell out 500 bucks..

Registered

Ask Macguyver
    92 YJ 4.0 (SOLD)
    02 WJ 4.0(SOLD)
    Currently Jeepless

M&M Buggy Chassis
    (FOR SALE)

u rip the wires out from under the steering wheel and start making sparks till the engine starts

DUH
    99 WJ I6 Laredo
    KOR 2.5" BB | Front UC Springs | JKS Front Adj TB | JKS Discos | Blisten 5100 | CB Radio

Registered

Im sure you could figure it out using a chiltons manual.
    96 5.2 limited zj, 4" lift, Skyjacker shocks & steering stabilizer, BFG A/T 31x10.50 w/ M/T wheels, Dynomax exhaust, Hi-Flo cat, K&N FIPK SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2000 WJ Limited!

Park it in downtown Miami, Chicago, LA, NY ect they will show you :touche:
    If you are reading this, THANK a teacher. If you are reading this in ENGLISH, THANK a soldier!!!
    ESSAYONS
    97 ZJ 4.0 4x4 Auto
    Rusty's BB lift & Rusty's K&N intake
    235 75 15 Toyo Open Contry AT's 15x8.5 Eagle alloy's
    Flowmaster exhaust

I say rip 2 holes in the floorboard and fire it up Flintstones style.

-DrumBoy

P.S. Oh yeah, don't forget to say "Yabba-Dabba-Doo" first!

DrumBoy's Niner (SF Member Gallery)

1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited (Stone White)
    1998 ZJ 4.0 Laredo (Hunter Green) - SOLD IT! someone else is driving all my hard work
    1995 XJ 4.0 UpCountry - ROLLED IT!

2007 Volvo T5 S60 Turbo (Silver) - Daily Driver

Nice lift!

Sure there are legit uses of this knowledge.

I used a door-bell button wired to the starting solenoid of an old Karmin Ghia, located it beside the drivers seat -sure beat push-starting that heap when the key didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumBoy View Post

-DrumBoy

I wonder if you have any rubbing at max flex with that. And I dont think you cant go any bigger...:wavin2:

These threads pop up on every automotive forum I visit.

How would you steal a Corvette?

Is it possible to steal an M3?

LOL

No offense to the OP, it's just funny.

Lightbulb There will not be any "hot wiring" advice provided here........

Quote Originally Posted by edogwv View Post
    If you bypass the part of the system that may be causing the problem... Or test things in different ways to understand what might not be working...

Or drive to the stealership and shell out 500 bucks..
    You could take it to a dealership and spend less than that.

Why do some people insist on patronizing a stealership?

If it is not cranking (turning over), then take a voltmeter and trace the wiring using the IBM (It's Better Manually) method. If this is a 1998 GC, there were some that had bad neutral safety switches; this could happen in any other model year as well (thanks, TB!); a bad NS switch will keep it from cranking. Try starting with the gear selector in Neutral. If it is cranking and not starting, check for error messages..... could be something simple like a loose/corroded wiring connection, or a bad crankshaft or camshaft sensor. Also check for fuel pressure to be sure it is getting gas.

Unfortunately, this may become a choice based on how much time and money one wants to spend at home doing one's own work (and possibly learning a great deal about troubleshooting and repair) and utilizing good resources, or taking it to a reputable shop (dealer or aftermarket) and letting them work on it.

Either way, let us know what you find.
    "I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." - Bill Cosby

Virgil.. Thanks for your reply-

The symptoms were basically it wasn't cranking at all.... I tried in Park and neutral ..... Got power inside the vehicle like normal just nothing when u throw the key forward entirely.

The first thing I tried like you said... was follow battery cable connections and look for any loose connections. I checked over the cables and wire brushed connections... Still had the same symptoms so popped in a new Neutral safety switch.

I also went ahead and threw in a re-manufactured starter for $60-$70 since I figured while I was in the mode to work on things it shouldn't hurt... Plus w/ 165k on the ticker I knew the old one had quite a few starts on it already.

Anyway... about the 3rd or 4th time i went to fire it back up... Nothing happened (was in park) So I pulled it to neutral and wham fired up great.

Anyway... it has been firing up nonstop for about a week or so now. I ran a wire to a switch connecting the battery + to the solenoid on the starter motor... so with my key in the on position I can bypass what may still a neutral safety switch / some sort of cable problem ?? (if the traditional method no longer works)

Thanks again for your response..

The guy at the dealership mentioned something about a cable that might be throwing things off ??

Also as a tad bit more info for you... I know there was a recall on the shift lock mechanism (or something to that effect) for the 97 grand and this vehicle did go back to the dealer for this fix...

Wouldn't it be the same as wiring up a remote start, only you are the "remote start"?
    MY DD-96 5.2L Limited, 3.5" with 35x12.5's.
    Hers-97 5.2L Platinum Limited from Canada (everything is in Km) 2.5" with 265/75r16.
    2002 Subaru Outback
    1985 Honda CB650SC
    1971 International Harvester Scout II on 33's.

MALLCRAWLIN

Try moving the shifter very slightly within the Neutral position, and see if there is a point where the switch actuates and the vehicle starts reliably. There may be some adjustment needed to a part that may be bent..... It has been years since I have been under a ZJ.

Moparman (or any Jeep techs).... are you around?

When I get a chance, I will try to find more info on this. A FSM would be a great help here.
    "I donít know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." - Bill Cosby

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by DrumBoy View Post

-DrumBoy

Drumboy-- I LOVE those pics in your sig.. who *is* that?
    Daily drive: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT; stock (for now)

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: 350 Chevy L98 motor, crane cam, holly performer intake, monster carb, novak shorty headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
    Drive train: d30 front, D35, 4x Dr. diff guards, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 32x11.5" dunlops
    Misc: custom leath seats; OBA; custom-built overhead console; CARR ratchet shifter; novak Billit shifter for transfer case; many many more.

**SOLD** 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9l Limited, Deep Slate. Kolak exhaust, headers, and intake; vanco "big brake" upgrade; flux capacitor

i like how this guy says grand cherokee but does not specifiy what type, and besides i though that with our chipped keys the jeep will go into theif mod and wont lock out any possible options of startup?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE ROCKY MOUNTAIN
    4.7L H.O. POWERTECH
    QUADRATRAC II
    CUSTOM INTAKE
    FLOWMASTER SUPER 44

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast