Thread: Hardtop wiring help

Registered

Default Hardtop wiring help

I was in the junkyard yesterday when I spotted a recently arrived Wrangler in the back corner. It was hit hard and pretty much stripped, but it had the factory hardtop wiring harness and switches still intact. Since my YJ had never been so equipped, I spent a good hour (in the rain) carefully pulling the harness and switches. I then excitedly came home and ran the harness (still in the rain), and that's where I ran into my problem. My manual has the diagram for the rear wiper (now working - yay!), but not the diagram for the dome light or the rear defroster (neither working - boohoo). I've divined (from looking at other Jeep diagrams courtesy of autozone.com) that the dome light feed is the pink wire, but I am not certain where it pins up in the body harness connector. I transferred it from the old one to the same spot on the one in my Jeep, but it's still a no-light. And I'm really lost on the rear defroster.

It's still pouring here, and it's predicted to rain through tomorrow, so i thought I'd do some research and try to find a wiring diagram that includes the rear washer, defroster and dome light. I just can't find anything, and I've been looking.

Does anyone have a copy of the diagram? Or maybe a scan of the factory accessory harness installation instructions? Playing with my test light is not a good option today...

Thanks!
    '94 YJ 4-banger auto, 1 inch shackle lifts, running 31's - otherwise STOCK! She ain't pretty, but she never gets stuck.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered

I think I may have missed something when pulling the harness. Is there a relay for the rear defroster that's not in a soft top equipped fuse panel? My main harness in my Jeep was wired for the switches, but I didn't see a relay for the rear defroster, and I think there should be one. Again, I don't have (and can't find) a diagram for this circuit...

If I do need a relay, I can go back to the JY and pull the setup from the junker (a '91). The harness I pulled had a relay inline, apparently for the rear wiper. If I have to pull a relay and plug from the panel, I really need to know how much of the harness I need to pull with it.

Not having the diagram is really frustrating!!!
    '94 YJ 4-banger auto, 1 inch shackle lifts, running 31's - otherwise STOCK! She ain't pretty, but she never gets stuck.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

this might help

http://www.smokingchimp.com/jeep/hardtopwiring/

I have a 1990 diagram, but I know the plug is different, so I doubt it will help.

Registered

Woo! The 1990 diagram might be just what I need. I pulled my donor from (I think) a 1991. I just looked at my harnesses, and I noticed that I don't have a yellow wire (like the one on the website has - thanks jbolty for the link!) anywhere in my harness, either in the top or the donor top harness. My donor also has a relay base block hard wired inline. This inline relay is apparently for the rear defroster and is quite rusty - the wires going into it are mainly brown/orange, same as the one clipped to the defroster grid. I'll try to clean this up and get that system working. Hopefully that will be all I need.

When I pinned the pink wire into my black body harness connector under the dash, I put it opposite the pink wire in the other (fuse block side) connector, in the same spot it was on the old connector. I just have to figure out the color of the wire coming from the other side of the dome light, and where that pins to on the connector.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Mechman71 View Post
    Woo! The 1990 diagram might be just what I need. I pulled my donor from (I think) a 1991. I just looked at my harnesses, and I noticed that I don't have a yellow wire (like the one on the website has - thanks jbolty for the link!) anywhere in my harness, either in the top or the donor top harness. My donor also has a relay base block hard wired inline. This inline relay is apparently for the rear defroster and is quite rusty - the wires going into it are mainly brown/orange, same as the one clipped to the defroster grid. I'll try to clean this up and get that system working. Hopefully that will be all I need.

When I pinned the pink wire into my black body harness connector under the dash, I put it opposite the pink wire in the other (fuse block side) connector, in the same spot it was on the old connector. I just have to figure out the color of the wire coming from the other side of the dome light, and where that pins to on the connector.
    I can send you the full size images, if you send me your email address.

Registered

Thank you very much! I think I figured it out. I didn't have the #14 white/black wire hooked up to the seat belt latch, and I have the black wire (35 I believe) hooked into pin #1 instead of spliced into pin #2 (which is yellow in my Jeep's main harness). My courtesy lamps are missing, too, so I had a bit of difficulty figuring out the wheres and whats of the light wires, but I think I have it down now.

I pulled the defrost relay (I now know that's definitely what the inline relay is for, thanks to these diagrams) and pulled it apart. The terminals and relay contacts are corroded, so I'm going to clean it up and try it again in the morning. Hopefully it won't be pouring down rain. Then I'll head back to the JY and pull a couple courtesy lights to replace the missing ones, and I'll check to see if the washer bottle is still there (I think it's been stripped out though). I know the line is there, so I'll grab that and run it tomorrow as well.

Thanks again for posting the diagrams! I've got a handle on it now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered

Well, I finally got a good look at the wires under the dash, as the sun has decided to return and dry up the ground. I've discovered that I have an early hardtop harness and a later (correct for my '94) main harness. Apparently my main harness has a plug behind the defrost switch for the defrost relay. My early hardtop harness has the relay built into it. The two are not directly compatible. I will have to remove the early relay and rewire the harness to the connectors like the '94 should have, then install the correct relay behind the dash.

I don't have this relay, and I can't find any online shops selling them.

Does anyone know if the relay is the same in the Cherokee? Or maybe in another Jeep? Info would be much appreciated!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

relay part # 5600 5146

used in cherokee and grand also.

or here

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=593&PTSet=A

Registered

VERY cool!! THANKS!! Junkyard, here I come...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]