Thread: Will YJ Hardtop fit TJ???

Default Will YJ Hardtop fit TJ???

Guys I am looking for a used (damaged) hardtop to hack into a do it myself half-cab for my TJ.

If if find a YJ top will it fit my TJ????????
    98 TJ Flatfender Wrangler
    43 GPW flatfender WWII vet.
    47 Bantam BT3-C trailer
    64 M416 trailer (U.S. Army retired)

Registered

Since your are going to modify the top it just might work, but I am not sure. I do know the door openings are different from YJ-TJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggg6 View Post
    Since your are going to modify the top it just might work, but I am not sure. I do know the door openings are different from YJ-TJ.
    The door openings are the same.

The way the hardtops attach to the top of the window frame is different and they won't fit there.
    Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
    • the Retro Wrangler pickup
    • the Gaucho CJ pickup
    • the Safari Cab custom modular hardtop

Registered

windshield angle is also different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    windshield angle is also different.
    Yes, the windshield angle is different, but the TJ windshield frame tapers from top to bottom - it is wider at the bottom than the top, hence the different angle of the GLASS.

But here's the important angle - the angle of the door frame along the windshield is the same on the CJ7/8, YJ and TJ - about 22.5 degrees back from vertical.

It is a common misconception that the doors wouldn't fit because the windshield angle is different when in fact the angle of the windshield has nothing to do with it and the angle of the door frames is the same.

I have both an Unlimited and a CJ8 and I've tried swapping doors between them so I know the angle is the same.
    • the Gaucho CJ pickup

Registered

uhm, well I'll be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by 98JPTJ View Post
    Guys I am looking for a used (damaged) hardtop to hack into a do it myself half-cab for my TJ.

If if find a YJ top will it fit my TJ????????
    The easiest way might be to get a TJ soft top header and mount it inside the YJ hardtop shell. For the header I would use a Bestop Sunrider/Halftop header bar (pictured below). This bar is much narrower and thinner than the stock TJ header bar so it would be easier to fit into the fiberglass hardtop. It is also metal rather than plastic, which should make attaching it to the inside of the hardtop easier.

I believe the YJ hardtop has an inner and outer shell, both made of fiberglass. I would remove part of the inner shell near the front of the hardtop, enough to fit the header bar into the opening where the inner shell was removed. Then I would use fiberglass to fabricate whatever mounting provisions I'd need to be able to secure the header bar to the hardtop. You'd also have to figure out how to seal the front corner of the top at the top front corner of the window frames, the header bar might have to be cut into the fiberglass door jamb a bit.

I don't think this project would be an easy one but I believe it would be possible.

I am in the planning stage of building an Unlimited-based pickup, and I plan to use parts of several different factory steel World Cabs to make the TJ pickup cab. I'll be using the header method I describe above with the steel World Cab shell. I know the dimensions of this mod will work on the steel World Cab, but I am not sure they will work with the fiberglass YJ hardtop as described above.

If you can find a CJ-10a half-hardtop, that would be easier to adapt to the TJ than the YJ fiberglass top. The this photo below is a CJ-10 "World Cab" half cab. These aren't too hard to find, over 800 of them were made for the military and they've been sold as surplus for the past few years.

• the Gaucho CJ pickup

Thanks for the info guys.
    98 TJ Flatfender Wrangler
    43 GPW flatfender WWII vet.
    47 Bantam BT3-C trailer
    64 M416 trailer (U.S. Army retired)

The latest issue of JP magazine has an article on how to modify a YJ top and put it on a TJ.

edit - a TJ top on a YJ

I thought it was a TJ top on a YJ...
    1998 White TJ 4.0 with 5 Speed. NV241OR Rock-Trac. HP30w/WJ Conversion & Warn Hub Kit and D44. ARB's and 4.88s in both. Rock Krawler 4" Short Arm, Daystar 1" BL, Daystar 1" MML, JKS Discos, 35 x 12.5 BFG KM2s on 15 x 8 AR-23, SuperWinch EP 9.0, York OBA, Usual Skid Plating, Custom Front Bumper, Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, and Rocker Guards. more doodads to come when $$ and time permits....

President:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers
    Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)

Registered

if you google it, you can find info for installing a yj top on a tj... it has been discussed before.

Quote Originally Posted by cueball View Post
    if you google it, you can find info for installing a yj top on a tj... it has been discussed before.
    the only info i found was a guy put a yj top on the tj and spoke very little of the mounting on the winshield issue...no pics or anything.

id hardly call that info for installing a yj top on a tj
    99 TJ long arm 4.6L stroker

Admin of http://dakotajeeps.com/index.htm

Icon312

Quote Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
    The latest issue of JP magazine has an article on how to modify a YJ top and put it on a TJ.

Beat me to it.....................

Registered

Good grief, for the last time, THE LATCHES ARE DIFFERENT...

Wait, wrong thread, sorry
    1999 TJ (2" spacer lift, 31" BFG ATs, Superwinch)
    2006 F150, 2013 Honda Fit, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2004 BMW Rockster.