Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WJ 242 Transfer Case Fluid Change

Icon313 WJ 242 Transfer Case Fluid Change (pics)

Thanks to everyone who helped me out initially in this thread: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=809854

You should be able to do this job on a stock height Jeep without a lift or ramps. In face, when refilling, it's recommended that the Jeep be level.

First, remove the fill plug. You want make sure you can remove that plug before you drain the t-case! You'll need a 10mm allen head to do that. Mine came off pretty easily. I hit them both with a touch of PB Blaster, then went about changing the engine oil.

After you have the fill plug out, you can remove the drain plug:

This job was made easier with a pump I picked up at the auto parts store. The ATF+4 comes in regular ol' quart oil bottles. The pump was for a widemouth bottle. So, I cleaned out an old Mobil1 bottle and dumped the fluid in there. This set up worked great. However, it would only pump a bit more than 3/4 of the fluid out of the bottle. For this job, you'll be OK with 2 quarts of ATF +4. You'll be able to get in the correct amount of fluid without an issue.

Before filling, you'll want to install the draing plug. The torque rating is 15/25 ft/lbs. Over tightening can be an issue since the t-case is cast aluminum.

Here's the pump in action. Keep filling until the fluid starts to run out the fill hole.

After you're full, install and torque and the fill plug. You're now read to roll.

I've read on some sites that taking the Jeep out for a quick drive before doing this helps with the draining process. I imagine much like a warm engine before and oil change, it helps remove all the fluid and anything that's suspended in it.
    2003 WJ Laredo: 4.0 I-6, 242 Selec-Trac
    JK Wheels, Destination A/T tires
    Mopar tow hitch
    Bilstein HD shocks
    Mechanical Fan...because replacing relays got old.

Hmmm, one of pics isn't working. I'll try and see if I can fix that later. It's just the bottle and pump set up, so it's not that critical to the writeup.
    Mopar tow hitch
    Bilstein HD shocks

Hey Glenn,

Nice and simple write-up. Great pics!

I saw that pump in AAP, but could have sworn there was another one for smaller bottles. Have to go there this morning for some stuff and will check it out.

Thats the same torque wrench I had that I ended up completely destroying when I did my BB project All that is left is the bar. Everything else, including the handle, was destroyed.
    Anyway, thanx for the write-up! It definitely looks easier than an oil change.

Couple of questions for you (and others):

1) What did you use to clean out the mobil one bottle?
    2) What do folks think about draining, refilling, running through the gears for a while, then drain and refill again? I would think this would really clean it out. I cant imagine the fluid being too expensive to do this process.
    2003 WJ 4.0 3" IRO d30/d35 LR

Quote Originally Posted by FischInAJeep
    The level of unsolicited braggardry (new word ; write it down) on these forunms astounds me.

If you can find a smaller pump, go for it. They only had that one when I visited, so I made it work. HA!

I let the bottle sit upside down for a few days...then I sprayed in some carb cleaner. I figured even if there was a little residual oil, it wasn't enough to make a difference.

I suppose you could do that. I can see changing mine out sooner than the recommended interval...just in case.

I saw your post before the edit. An ATVing buddy of mine owns a shop. I'll be doing the diff fluids there soon and taking pics. I'll also do a write up for a front disc and pad swap.
    Mopar tow hitch
    Bilstein HD shocks

I've noticed the Jeep is quieter when shifting into reverse. I used to get a bit of a hallow noise; I assumed it was jut a little slack in the driveline. I haven't driven the Jeep much since after the fluid change, but the noise appears to be gone. It really only did this after a cold start....first thing in the AM or when leaving work for the day.
    Mopar tow hitch
    Bilstein HD shocks

I have that same pump (BTW your missing picture tag is missing the 'http' part of the address) and use it on a cleaned-out windshield washer fluid bottle. I dump in 4 quarts of gear oil in it, then pump away. Just make sure to label that particular bottle with what brand/weight you have in there so as not to put it in the wrong part.

Nice writeup.
    2006 WK 5.7 Hemi

Awesome, thanks! I just fixed the pic tag....now it works!

Thanks for the tip on the washer fluid bottle. I'll have to save a few of those for that purpose.
    Mopar tow hitch
    Bilstein HD shocks

Does anyone know if Dexron II is the same as Dexron III or if ATF + is the same as ATF +4. I called Checkers Auto Parts and Autozone Auto parts and they said that It is the same oils respectively but that the oils have been improved and those are the replacements for those. They also said they quit manufacturing those a long time ago. Do you guys know if thats the case? My Chrysler Service manual for my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited calls for either Dexron II or ATF + for the transfer case of either the NV247 or NV242 transfer cases.
    1999 Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 Limited, Quadra Drive.

I would think with a smaller pump and if you cut some of the exccessss tubing off you could get more fluid than 2/3 into it.. Nice write up and pics!
    2001 Cherokee XJ Limited
    - Up-country package
    - Infinity 6-Speakers
    - 4x4, AUTO, I6 4.0L
    - CA car

OLD Jeeps:
    2001 Grand Cherokee Limited QUADRA-DRIVE WJ
    2000 Cherokee Limited 4x4 XJ
    1990 Cherokee Limited 4x4 XJ

The problem was the body of the pump was too short for the oil bottle. I was only able to get 2/3 out of the quart bottle at a time. But lightly squeezing the bottle often helped get a bit more out.
    Mopar tow hitch
    Bilstein HD shocks

Walmart sells the smaller pump, it's next to the marine gear oil. Pep Boys also sells a "real" suction pump which goes a lot faster and is only a few dollars more.

Did you try my suggestion of putting that pump on a one-gallon jug? Pour 4 of the quart-size oil bottles in it, and you don't have to constantly swap the pump over to another bottle.
    2006 WK 5.7 Hemi

Thanks guys. I just did this a few months ago, so I'll have time to locate a new pump or try the gallon jug method before I do this again.
    Mopar tow hitch
    Bilstein HD shocks

Good post
    2005 WK Hemi Limited

Previous Jeeps

1999 XJ Sport.

1997 ZJ Laredo

2001 WJ Laredo

Yeah great post Glenn. Your post is an inspiration. I am planning on changing the oil for my transfer case NV247. I am thinking I might even do a write up about it with pics and everything. Its should be very similar to yours except that its going to have a diff oil in it.

It's a really straight forward job and no more difficult than an oil change. Let us know if you give it a go.
    Mopar tow hitch
    Bilstein HD shocks

Nice write up, with good pix. One thing I had to do was after changing this about every 3 years for 9 years worth of driving, the sealer they put the plugs had worn off and it dripped a little fluid, so the next time I changed it I got some thread sealer (only need just a little) and put that on the threads. I also use a marine oil changer, they also come in sizes to fit the quart bottles of trans fluid. Those things are really handy to have, I have three, one for the Jeep, one for the diffs on the Subaru Outback and one for the Cobra drive on the boat.
    If you have a 249 or a 242 you can use the Mopar ATF+3 or Dex III, but with the 247 you need to use the special Mopar stuff for that t-case. Don't overtorque those plugs, all they have to do is make a seal.
    Lou C

98 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
    H-4/ECE Headlights, Painless Wiring Harness, Hella 450 fogs
    Front and rear tow hitches, Air Lift, Bilsteins
    Dynomax Cat Back Exhaust
    B&M Supercooler

07 WK Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadradrive II

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
    4.3 OMC/Cobra Drive

Quote Originally Posted by louc View Post
    Nice write up, with good pix. One thing I had to do was after changing this about every 3 years for 9 years worth of driving, the sealer they put the plugs had worn off and it dripped a little fluid, so the next time I changed it I got some thread sealer (only need just a little) and put that on the threads. I also use a marine oil changer, they also come in sizes to fit the quart bottles of trans fluid. Those things are really handy to have, I have three, one for the Jeep, one for the diffs on the Subaru Outback and one for the Cobra drive on the boat.
    If you have a 249 or a 242 you can use the Mopar ATF+3 or Dex III, but with the 247 you need to use the special Mopar stuff for that t-case. Don't overtorque those plugs, all they have to do is make a seal.
    Thanks for the valuable feedback! so here I go to finally change the oil after 3 days of threads and feedbacks from many people. I ll be happy to do a write up when I am done.

Nice tip on the thread sealer Lou.
    Mopar tow hitch
    Bilstein HD shocks

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would assume this is the same protocol for my TC fluid too right? I have the 247 case.

thanks
    1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    4x4
    V8
    Quadradrive

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast