Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: Why is Wrangler insurance so HIGH??

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    59

    Default Why is Wrangler insurance so HIGH??

    I just got my insurance bill for my 04 Rubicon I just bought. The insurance was higher then my 07 Jeep GC. Whats the deal with this. My GC is a $35000+ car, and I paid less then 1/2 that for the Rubi. So what makes the insurance so high on these bad boys??

  2. #2
    Registered GotRox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    288

    Default

    My Wranglers insurance is actually cheaper than my wifes 03 Jetta, and cheaper than my 02 Mustang GT and my old 03 Ranger. I checked into insuring it with someone else, and they wanted almost $100 more a month than I pay now, so maybe its just where you insure it.

    And also the fact that Wranglers aren't exactly super safe when it comes to how the insurance companies look at it.
    2007 Sahara - stock for now.


  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    59

    Default

    The Rubi came to just under $500 for 6 months, and my 07 Grnd Ch is $471 for 6 months. The bulk of the extra is collision and comp. Do the Wranglers get in that many accidents? I know it doesnt drive like the GC, but it's far from being a accident waiting to happen.

  4. #4
    Registered GotRox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairfield, CA
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Thats only about $50 more than mine. I'm fairly young so I think I'm getting off good since I paid $150 a month for a 12 year old Yukon when I was 21.
    I paid almost $700 for 6 months on my Mustang for a while.
    Its probably because the GC has more safety features, like extra airbags and stuff, so you get a few bucks off.

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    8,379

    Default

    about $400/yr for my '98...
    -------------
    98 TJ, 4.0,

  6. #6
    www.stu-offroad.com Stu Olson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Arizona USA
    Posts
    12,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GE4X4 View Post
    The Rubi came to just under $500 for 6 months, and my 07 Grnd Ch is $471 for 6 months. The bulk of the extra is collision and comp. Do the Wranglers get in that many accidents? I know it doesnt drive like the GC, but it's far from being a accident waiting to happen.
    Perhaps the theft of Wranglers in your area is higher? That will jack the insurance premiums up in a heart beat.

    Call your insurance company and ask them. They will know the answers.....folks here are just guessing.
    Stu's '98TJ Sahara
    ARB Locked & Loaded
    www.stu-offroad.com

  7. #7
    Registered Knuckelhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado/Retired.
    Posts
    7,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GE4X4 View Post
    I just got my insurance bill for my 04 Rubicon I just bought. The insurance was higher then my 07 Jeep GC. Whats the deal with this. My GC is a $35000+ car, and I paid less then 1/2 that for the Rubi. So what makes the insurance so high on these bad boys??
    How old are you and what's your driving/accident history?...
    "Here's my strategy on the Cold War:
    We win, they lose."
    - Ronald Reagan-

  8. #8

    Default

    Mine runs $1100 a year for My 06 and the wifes 06 Honda Element. That is with 300k in liability and xtra PIP / Uninsured Motorist ( Uninsured Illegals are a problem here)

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Hickory Hills, IL
    Posts
    859

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by GE4X4 View Post
    I just got my insurance bill for my 04 Rubicon I just bought. The insurance was higher then my 07 Jeep GC. Whats the deal with this. My GC is a $35000+ car, and I paid less then 1/2 that for the Rubi. So what makes the insurance so high on these bad boys??
    Theft. It's one of the easiest vehicles to steal and the parts are worth a ton. Do the math...................................
    97 TJ Sport

  10. #10
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Hickory Hills, IL
    Posts
    859

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post

    Call your insurance company and ask them. They will know the answers.....folks here are just guessing.
    The insurance company is NOT going to give you that information verbatim. You'll get a watered down version of yada, yada, yada.
    97 TJ Sport

  11. #11
    Registered TJ-xtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Posts
    125

    Default

    the insurance on my 01 TJ is actually less than the insurance on my 88 bronco II.... both have full coverage...
    2001 Wrangler Sport, D44 rear, 2.5" Susp. Lift, 1" BL w/ Brown Dog MML, 35x12.50r15 BFG KM2's on 15x8 Soft 8's, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper and Rocker Guards, Xenon 4" Flat Flares, Optima Blue-Top Battery, Hella 500 lights, Hi-Lift Jack, and more on the way JEEP= Just-Empty-Every-Pocket
    TJ-xtreme's Car Domain
    EAT-SLEEP-JEEP OlllllllO

  12. #12
    Registered Greg_Volkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Nasa, Langley
    Posts
    6,173

    Default

    yeah, i heard thiefs are stealing TJ's for their radiators since as we all know Jeep makes the best radiators and they get top dollar on the black market in china.

  13. #13
    2005 TJ Trail rig.... jeepsr4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    1,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Volkman View Post
    yeah, i heard thiefs are stealing TJ's for their radiators since as we all know Jeep makes the best radiators and they get top dollar on the black market in china.
    That and those uber tough turn signal switch.:touche:

  14. #14
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    i pay $600 a YEAR with full coverage, im also 25 and have never had any tickets tho... lucky me right? i also have been with the same ensurance compay since i was 16.

  15. #15

    Default

    I thought it was for the cool "trail Rated" badge. It is rumored to make any rig trail rated.


  16. #16

    Icon312

    Quote Originally Posted by yellorover View Post
    Mine runs $1100 a year for My 06 and the wifes 06 Honda Element. That is with 300k in liability and xtra PIP / Uninsured Motorist ( Uninsured Illegals are a problem here)


    +1

    I pay around $900 a year on my '06 Unlimited & I'm maxed out on my insurance riders as far as coverage. I got hit by an uninsured female in a $30,000 Expedition a few years ago & the uninsured motorist rider saved my behind!

    Wrangler insurance is high because it's considered an off road vehicle & thus people (novices) take them places they probably shouldn't be taking them, IMO.

    My

  17. #17
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Canada, Ontario
    Posts
    673

    Default

    i pay about 360 a month

  18. #18

    Default

    Ahh easy.....go to YouTube and do a search for "Jeep Rollover".....

    People out doing crazy things with $30k-$40K Jeeps.....(Stuff I can't afford to do!!!)
    .
    .
    The abuse under the "color of law" of Hope Steffey by Stark County Police.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5hf-aDEAr8

  19. #19

    Default

    Im 20 and this is my first TJ and i pay less insurance then my mother does. Ive been in one accident and i only pay $180 a month. Ive only been driving for about 3 years. If this is expensive then i cant wait till i move up a step

  20. #20
    Registered Knuckelhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado/Retired.
    Posts
    7,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktbll109 View Post
    Im 20 and this is my first TJ and i pay less insurance then my mother does. Ive been in one accident and i only pay $180 a month. Ive only been driving for about 3 years. If this is expensive then i cant wait till i move up a step
    $2160 a year? I pay $890 a year for full coverage (with add on's) for a 2000 sport and a pickup truck. But I did sleep at a Holiday Express last night...
    "Here's my strategy on the Cold War:
    We win, they lose."
    - Ronald Reagan-

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Jeep Parts | Jeep Accessories | Trektop NX | Jeep Seat Covers | Jeep Wrangler | Jeep Wrangler Parts | Jeep Wrangler Accessories | Bestop | Jeep Tires | Jeep Stuff | Jeep Wrangler Tires | Jeep Wheels