Thread: Code P0420

Default Code P0420

Check engine light came on in my 02 X model. Took it to AutoZone and code was P0420. Catalyst efficiency low-bank 1.

From the stuff I was able to dig up on line this is most commonly the catalytic converter. There are other possibilities, but that is most common.
    If this is the case would a 2002 with 64,000 miles still be covered under the 8/80,000 federal emissions warranty?

I don't know anything about this stuff. I don't even know if this is applicable for a 02 Wrangler.
    Can anyone shed any light or give me some pointers on getting this cleared.
    I am about to put it on the market and it figures right before I do so the light comes on.

Thanks in advance guys!
    p.s. anyone interested in an 02 X model with a three inch lift and all the goodies?

Did you try calling the Jeep dealership?
    '98 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    '05 Cadillac CTS-V
    '05 Jeep Liberty Unlimited 4X4

I wasn't even sure if the federal emissions warranty is applicable on a 2002. If somebody give give me a yeah or neah, I'll give them a ring.

Registered

your best bet is to call and ask the dealer. at least you'll get the info from the horse's mouth and not some crap info from somebody who is being the horse's other end. Best of all, it's free to ask questions.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by burnt138 View Post
    Check engine light came on in my 02 X model. Took it to AutoZone and code was P0420. Catalyst efficiency low-bank 1.

From the stuff I was able to dig up on line this is most commonly the catalytic converter. There are other possibilities, but that is most common.
    If this is the case would a 2002 with 64,000 miles still be covered under the 8/80,000 federal emissions warranty?

I don't know anything about this stuff. I don't even know if this is applicable for a 02 Wrangler.
    Can anyone shed any light or give me some pointers on getting this cleared.
    I am about to put it on the market and it figures right before I do so the light comes on.

Thanks in advance guys!
    p.s. anyone interested in an 02 X model with a three inch lift and all the goodies?
    I have the same issue but with P0432 (bank 2). It is covered under federal/California emissions warranty, but the dealer wants to charge me to drop my skid because it is an aftermarket one. The funny thing is that the FSM does not call for removing the skid and when I showed this to the service manager, he said that they like to do it anyways to have more room to work

Anyway, the emissions warranty works the same way than any other. If you are within the limits, it is covered. If you are not sure, go to the dealer and they will be able to pop it up on the computer within seconds. BTW, the cats are on national backorder because of a recall and the inventories were depleted. The dealer told me it takes about 2 weeks to get one.
    If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?

Default Dealer

Hey guys thanks for the info and the help.
    I will bite the bullet and run it by the dealer and see what they have to say.
    I guess it is worth a shot.

Once again thanks for the help, it's great to have cool people to go to when you get all stressed out!

My cat went bad at about the same mileage in about '03 (mines a '98). I just called the dealer parts department, ordered a cat, and dropped it off for replacement when it came in, no questions asked. Your's should be covered under federal emissions warranty too.
    '98 TJ Sport - Build your rig with AMERICAN parts; support OUR economy!