Thread: How much money do you get for scraping a car?

Default How much money do you get for scraping a car?

I had some tow truck guy come by today, he was interested in buying my Jeep for the purpose of scraping it for metal, I was curious as to how much one gets for this? He offered to leave my wheels/tires behind and cut off my exhaust, he said I could take anything off that I wanted to. I have no idea how much to ask for, I plan to get as many of the mods off as I can by myself with limited tools. I will open threads in the for sale section once I start pulling **** off. But if anyone is local and wants to come by and rip off a mod themselves feel free to PM me. For example I doubt I will get able to get the shocks out, but if you really want them and are willing to pull them out yourself I would sell them cheaper.
    Jeep is gone and still missed New Ride: 03 Audi A4 6 speed

Here in North East Pa, Some Scrap metals places are giving $6-$8 per 100lbs for scrap cars. I would say anywhere from $250-$300 for a jeep(4000lbs)

Scraping cars is for toothless people who don't want real jobs. With a clean title, you might get around 8 bucks for every 100 lbs. Steel prices are about 125 a ton. My brother got $1600 for a Mack that he tried to sell for $1200. Go figure.

Registered

You still haven't sold that?

Man, I gotta get on the horn.
    Deep Slate 5.9 Member #??
    ----------
    Engine: AEM Brute Force air intake, Holley 52mm Throttle Body, M1 Intake (extrude honed), Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, 1.6 Roller Rockers, Magnum lifters, NASCAR COMP Hardened Pushrods, ARP studs, KRC 210x cam, Double roller timing chain, Thorley Ceramic Coated Headers, Kolak 3” Exhaust with large case Magnaflow muffler, Custom ECU flash from Tom at Positive Performance, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, New Water Pump, Both Oxygen Sensors replaced, E-Fan

Suspension: New UpCountry Springs, Addco military (frontsway), JKS Quick Sway disconnects, Hellwig (rearsway), Edelbrock IAS shocks.

Near Future: Upgraded speakers/amp, OME Steering Stabilizer, Ext Trans Cooler

Distant Future: ???

Registered

put it on ebay
    '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9L
    - K&N FIPK, Thorley Headers, Kolak 3" Exhaust, Addco Sway Bars F+R, 245/70 Revo's, OME Coils, 1" Spacer, MX-6 Shocks, JKS Trackbar, JKS Quicker-Disconnects, Clear Corners, 15% Tint

Registered

Scraping may cost you a whole lot more than scrapping.

You could sell if for more.
    Supercharged '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9er
    SCT Tuned / Vortech V-2 SQ Supercharger / F&B 52mm TB / P&P Kegger / Southeast Performαnce Blower Built 360 & CNC Ported 2.02 R/T Heads / COMP Cams Custom Cam / Crower Rockers / Doug Thorley Headers / MSaine Valve Body / 247|249 Hybrid Transfer Case / Kolak Exhaust / Mopar Rubber Cupholder

=>Join TheSpeedFreaks.net <=

last time i heard scrap steel was $300 a ton. you are not going to get that much for the jeep though, they have to do lots of stripping/dissassembly/draining fluids to get to bare scrap metal.

you should be able to sell that in the paper or on craigslist for 3k easy.
    98 5.9 Limited (my 2nd 5.9 and 3rd ZJ)
    Ice cream paint job
    Rear view mirror, Jumbo dice! Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice.

It has a blown tranny, leak in the radiator, and another leak somewhere, maybe the rear main seal. I doubt I am getting much of anything if I sell this thing. Thats why I figure get as much off it as I can, then have this guy get rid of the rest for some cash.

We Race, so you Win Evildriver-3's Avatar

Sell it for $500 maybe try $700...that's more then the scrap guy is going to give you...

What do you think he is gonna give you for it, probably $50

Lets figure a 95 would be worth what about 3k $3500...to someone that would pay that much for a vehicle over 10 years old and everything hasn't been replaced yet......now it needs a trans... -$1500 and your down to 1500 and then what other cosmetic and mechancial issues like you said brings you right down to $700.

Put a for sale sign in it and ask $700 and you might get a kid that really loves the thing (like some people around here) and he'll buy it and take care of it better then you and he/she will be happy
    Less than 8 is like playing with half a deck

www.LiMotorsports.org The voice of the racer

71 Dart, 73 RR, 78 Mag GT, 85 Dodge W-350, 91 Dodge 250 c, 91 Daytona, 95 Jeep GC, 99 Jeep GC, 00 Dakota, 05 Jeep GC, 08 Dodge 2500hd

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Evildriver-3 View Post
    Sell it for $500 maybe try $700...that's more then the scrap guy is going to give you...

What do you think he is gonna give you for it, probably $50

Lets figure a 95 would be worth what about 3k $3500...to someone that would pay that much for a vehicle over 10 years old and everything hasn't been replaced yet......now it needs a trans... -$1500 and your down to 1500 and then what other cosmetic and mechancial issues like you said brings you right down to $700.

Put a for sale sign in it and ask $700 and you might get a kid that really loves the thing (like some people around here) and he'll buy it and take care of it better then you and he/she will be happy
    Crap, a trans for these things cost $1500? Is that new or junkyard? Cause I was gonna get a junkyard one. Even at the price he was asking before, it was worth it and I was trying to get a friend of mine to buy it and ditch he Saturn that he's beat the hell with.

Don't scrap that Jeep man. I'd give you what they would give you for it in an instant.
    Deep Slate 5.9 Member #??
    ----------
    Engine: AEM Brute Force air intake, Holley 52mm Throttle Body, M1 Intake (extrude honed), Edelbrock Aluminum Heads, 1.6 Roller Rockers, Magnum lifters, NASCAR COMP Hardened Pushrods, ARP studs, KRC 210x cam, Double roller timing chain, Thorley Ceramic Coated Headers, Kolak 3” Exhaust with large case Magnaflow muffler, Custom ECU flash from Tom at Positive Performance, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, New Water Pump, Both Oxygen Sensors replaced, E-Fan

Suspension: New UpCountry Springs, Addco military (frontsway), JKS Quick Sway disconnects, Hellwig (rearsway), Edelbrock IAS shocks.

Near Future: Upgraded speakers/amp, OME Steering Stabilizer, Ext Trans Cooler

Distant Future: ???

Depending where you live you can figure 1000 to 1500 for a trans with the tc and od section...never ever leave a tc in a trans that blew up and put a new trans back in or ignore the od section...your just asking to do that job a 2nd time pretty quick....

A junkyard is where you go to buy a good core to rebuild or make better....buying anything from a junkyard and tossing it in is just like playing russian roulette

71 Dart, 73 RR, 78 Mag GT, 85 Dodge W-350, 91 Dodge 250 c, 91 Daytona, 95 Jeep GC, 99 Jeep GC, 00 Dakota, 05 Jeep GC, 08 Dodge 2500hd

Quote Originally Posted by Smithdogg1 View Post
    It has a blown tranny, leak in the radiator, and another leak somewhere, maybe the rear main seal. I doubt I am getting much of anything if I sell this thing. Thats why I figure get as much off it as I can, then have this guy get rid of the rest for some cash.
    Ha! Smithdogg1 - You gonna let a few little things like that stop you?

All kidding aside, I'm on the other side of Boston from you. Do you do your own work? There's been at least two parts ZJs just like yours in the Want Advertiser, running but crash damaged.
    This one in NH - 93 4.0 auto w/193 miles, new head gasket 2000 miles ago. 2 yr old radiator, exh manifold, fuel pump. Whole bunch of new brake parts. $450!! It was still in the Jeep section last week. Didn't see this week yet.
    Grab the tranny, motor and radiator and throw them in your ZJ. You can probably sell the leftover parts on this forum or whatever and make a few bux back.
    Toss your eng and trans into the wreck and have that guy give you some money to haul it away.
    Another one, probably not a good deal but who knows - a 94 250K miles for $450 in Millbury. No other descrition provided. OK, I guess that's a bit high but if it was well maintained, $450 to get your ZJ back on the road!
    Of course there's also two 3.9 V6 5spd Rams for around $1000 each if you want to get creative :-)

Hate to see a ZJ go down like that.

BTW - Is Standleys Junkyard still up there in Reading or No. Reading? Probably not. Land is too expensive around there.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Ha! Smithdogg1 - You gonna let a few little things like that stop you?

All kidding aside, I'm on the other side of Boston from you. Do you do your own work? There's been at least two parts ZJs just like yours in the Want Advertiser, running but crash damaged.
    This one in NH - 93 4.0 auto w/193 miles, new head gasket 2000 miles ago. 2 yr old radiator, exh manifold, fuel pump. Whole bunch of new brake parts. $450!! It was still in the Jeep section last week. Didn't see this week yet.
    Grab the tranny, motor and radiator and throw them in your ZJ. You can probably sell the leftover parts on this forum or whatever and make a few bux back.
    Toss your eng and trans into the wreck and have that guy give you some money to haul it away.
    Another one, probably not a good deal but who knows - a 94 250K miles for $450 in Millbury. No other descrition provided. OK, I guess that's a bit high but if it was well maintained, $450 to get your ZJ back on the road!
    Of course there's also two 3.9 V6 5spd Rams for around $1000 each if you want to get creative :-)

Hate to see a ZJ go down like that.

BTW - Is Standleys Junkyard still up there in Reading or No. Reading? Probably not. Land is too expensive around there.
    Trust me I would love to fix it, I hate to see it go too. But I don't have the knowledge, tools, space or time to do it. And I need the thing gone by November, so this is what it has come down to. Not sure about that junkyard in Reading.

November...if you removed 1 bolt a day you would have that job done in a month

Dang, wish I could help out on this but I'm not in any position to do that right now.
    Staying with some nice folks but can't really do any work here, $25 - $30K worth of automotive tools sitting in storage gathering dust :-(
    $900 or so for a running ZJ and parts left over to sell, I think I'd buy them myself if I had the workspace.

Some quick thoughts:

No time like the present to start learning, but if the idea of wrenching is foreign to you it could be a headache.
    Like Evildriver said - By Nov you could do it easy.
    BTW - What is Nov, you moving?

Maybe you could get a quote on the labor from local shops? Maybe make it cheaper by doing a bunch of the disonnect stuff before you bring it.
    Probably still a bunch of money though, plus you'd have to get the other ZJ down here somehow.

I thought I saw in the Wants Adv someone in or around Wakefield that did Jeep work or sold parts, mostly Wrangler and XJs though. I could be wrong on his location though.

You could always call the guy with the parts ZJ and see if he wants to buy yours to do the swap for himself - 603-303-8267 Northwood NH.
    I don't know if he still has it. Haven't looked at this weeks W/Ads yet.

Oh well, hope you make out OK on this - John

around here they usually give you like, 75-100 for a car. a little more for a jeep

sell it private party andyou will get a few hundred more. worth it IMO
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    ML Headers - 3" FM70 catback - Vortech Blower - Stillen Brakes - Ported Kegger - SCT Tuned - Addco & Hellwig Sways - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - E-Codes w/ 55W Bi-Xenons

That puppy on craigslist for $700 will be gone. Just keep putting it back up until the person who is looking for such a thing runs across it and put in the ad $700 firm. Post up the ad when you are done so we can see it and forward it along for you too.